How to clear the system cache for the Google Nexus 5

• Replies:19
  • Stickied
Scott Adam Gordon
  • Forum posts: 445

Jun 30, 2014, 3:57:50 PM via Website

Hey AndroidPIT readers,

If you have problems with your Google Nexus 5 and the smartphone isn't working properly, a good solution to this is to wipe the system cache of the phone. You don't even need to do a hard reset. In fact, doing a system cache will NOT delete any of your personal info, but only the background and application cache. Cache is stored data on the phone which allows apps to load quicker, it's like the data is on standby until you need it again. Wiping it simply means that the app will have to reload the data.

Here's how it's done:

• From a powered off state, press the Power button to start your Nexus 5. When you see the Google logo press and hold the Volume Down key and release when the device vibrates.
  • Use the volume keys to highlight Recovery Menu and press the Power button to select. This will bring you to a screen with an Android on its back.
  • Hold the Volume Up key for 5 secs then release and a new menu will appear.
  • Use the volume keys to select Wipe Cache Partition and press the power button to select it.

There you go! Your system cache should be wipe and leave you with a much more fluid smartphone.

Did this work for you?

Find out about how to factory reset your Google Nexus 5
Find out how to hard reset your Google Nexus 5

martin smith

TOSHIT JAIN
  • Forum posts: 2

Jul 4, 2014, 2:18:01 PM via Website

Lol...go to settings>storage>cache.
This will clear the cache and it's easy.

Deactivated AccountNikolay ErovenkoAndres R.Stephen Allen

Scott Adam Gordon

Jul 4, 2014, 2:59:31 PM via Website

TOSHIT JAIN

Great tip Toshit thanks! :D

Stephen Allen
  • Forum posts: 7

Jul 4, 2014, 3:53:37 PM via Website

By clearing the cache - does one have to re-enter app passwords etc.?

Scott Adam Gordon

Jul 4, 2014, 5:20:04 PM via Website

Stephen Allen

No, clearing the app cache in the way I described above should not remove/delete any password data :)

Stephen Allen

Kiran Gilvaz
  • Forum posts: 1

Feb 20, 2015, 7:49:19 PM via Website

After you get to the Android lying on its back screen, holding how the volume up button for 5 seconds doesn't work for everyone.
I had to hold the power button down for a sec and tap the volume up button to get to the next menu.

Ilya PaskhoverSaz D

Andres R.
  • Forum posts: 3

Mar 6, 2015, 3:33:54 PM via Website

And so will Clean Master app, letting you choose which cache is junk, in your opinion, & the size of each..
😉

david jackson

Mar 7, 2015, 9:51:10 AM via Website

Kiran Gilvaz

After you get to the Android lying on its back screen, holding how the volume up button for 5 seconds doesn't work for everyone.
I had to hold the power button down for a sec and tap the volume up button to get to the next menu.

The quick and easy option is to clear using settings>storage>cache. It's instant!

Zishan Haider J'aun

Mar 13, 2015, 11:32:47 PM via Website

Hi, I deleted my Nexus 5's Cache by your method almost 2 months ago. Now I'm not getting the Android Lollypop 5.1 Update OTA, all of my friends who are using Nexus 5, had already got it .... Is the reason for not getting the 5.1 Update is due to Deleting of the Cache, or I just need to wait still more for the update to be rolled-out to my phone? Currently I'm using 5.0.1 & it sucks .... Please HELP, GBU

John Reed

Mar 18, 2015, 3:19:25 AM via Website

I just got my OTA 5.1 today, 3/17. So it is a matter of time.

Alan Woods

Jul 22, 2015, 6:09:40 PM via Website

What version Android? This option not available in 5.1.1......

Zarteblartfast

Sep 8, 2015, 12:17:43 PM via Website

Clearing the cache through storage- clear cache only clears the app cache not the phone cache!

Frederick Kunitz

Oct 31, 2015, 12:53:01 PM via Website

Thank you!

Karl Keyte

Nov 12, 2015, 4:34:17 PM via Website

TOSHIT JAIN

Erm...different thing. That's the app. cache you're talking about. The system cache partition you can't clear that way - has to be done via the recovery menu.

Klavs P.
  • Forum posts: 23

Feb 2, 2016, 10:11:15 AM via Website

How I can understand that the cache was wiped?

Noah Schoonover

Jul 1, 2016, 9:37:42 PM via Website

It's not the same thing. In your OS, it's a small cache. Through the instructions above you clear your larger cache partition.

Wandle
  • Forum posts: 21

Oct 5, 2016, 8:11:44 PM via Website

Hi Scott. This article is really help me!

martin smith
  • Forum posts: 277

Jan 8, 2019, 12:08:15 PM via Website

Scott Adam Gordon

Hey AndroidPIT readers,

If you have problems with your [Google Nexus 5][1] and the smartphone isn't working properly, a good solution to this is to wipe the system cache of the phone. You don't even need to do a hard reset. In fact, doing a system cache will NOT delete any of your personal info, but only the background and application cache. Cache is stored data on the phone which allows apps to load quicker, it's like the data is on standby until you need it again. Wiping it simply means that the app will have to reload the data.

Here's how it's done:

• From a powered off state, press the Power button to start your Nexus 5. When you see the Google logo press and hold the Volume Down key and release when the device vibrates.
  • Use the volume keys to highlight Recovery Menu and press the Power button to select. This will bring you to a screen with an Android on its back.
  • Hold the Volume Up key for 5 secs then release and a new menu will appear.
  • Use the volume keys to select Wipe Cache Partition and press the power button to select it.

There you go! Your system cache should be wipe and leave you with a much more fluid smartphone.

Did this work for you?

Find out about [how to factory reset your Google Nexus 5][2]
Find out [how to hard reset your Google Nexus 5][3]

[1]: https://www.nextpit.com/device/google-nexus-5
[2]: https://www.nextpit.com/forum/579270/google-nexus-5-how-to-factory-reset-the-nexus-5
[3]: https://www.nextpit.com/forum/579282/google-nexus-5-how-to-hard-reset-the-google-nexus-5

Its good to know about this... thanks for sharing the useful article...

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 819

Jan 8, 2019, 1:31:29 PM via Website

Karl Keyte

TOSHIT JAIN

Erm...different thing. That's the app. cache you're talking about. The system cache partition you can't clear that way - has to be done via the recovery menu.

Just what is this Cashe Partition?
Seriously can you explain?

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 819

Jan 10, 2019, 11:57:24 PM via Website

Stephen Allen

Your cashed data is basically what you have done with that app!
Clearing the cashe data will not delete any of your personal data.
And you should do this on a regular basis,
It will free up your storage and your device will operate faster and better!