How to calibrate your battery

• Replies:50
  • Stickied
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Jun 30, 2014, 5:48:38 PM via Website

If your battery has been acting up after a firmware update especially, then you may need to do a battery recalibration.

1. The first thing to try whenever you get battery woes is a reboot. just turn your phone off for 30 seconds (or pull the battery if you can) and then restart.

2. If that doesn't work you can clear the cache partition through recovery and if all else fails backup all your apps and data and do a factory reset.

3. If that still doesn't work you can download an app called Battery Calibration from the Play Store to reset your battery. Note: it requires root privileges.

For more info on recalbrating your battery <-- just check the article.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

LauraRomaKaren L.paulc

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 770

Jun 30, 2014, 8:19:33 PM via App

I will download any apps which can extend battery life.

Ready To Help You.

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Jul 1, 2014, 6:46:41 AM via Website

Hey Kris,

Actually I am also having some battery problems now, its been a week and I have been seeing something fishy about my battery, when my battery goes down to zero level, I start charging and it just completes charging after 2-3hrs i.e. my device gets fully charged in from 0% to 100% in just 2-3hrs. Sounds good !! But the problem is when I start charging my device after 40-50% level it takes more than 4-5hrs to completely charge ! Do, I need to worry about something or its okay ?? I am getting a feel that I may need to purchase a new battery .... (thinking)

Kris Carlon

Jul 1, 2014, 9:55:19 AM via Website

Hey @John, that's a weird one. While it might seem good to charge faster when the battery is completely dead (kind of like cold water boiling faster) it's generally a bad idea to let your battery fully discharge, because depending on the type of battery you have, low voltage issues can occur.

I'd suggest two things:

1. Do a factory reset (which I'm sure you've already tried), as that usually clears up any weird battery activity following updates.

2. Try the Battery Calibration app (if you are rooted) and see if that makes a difference.

Other than these two solutions I can't think of much else, because if there's an issue with the batetery itself then that's a bit above my skill set. A replacement battery might be the only option.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

William Jafferson Clinton
  • Forum posts: 1

Jul 1, 2014, 10:44:19 AM via Website

Thank you for sharing。。。。。barato-smartphone

— modified on Jul 1, 2014, 10:45:59 AM

Zaid Siddiqui
  • Forum posts: 9

Jul 1, 2014, 2:06:39 PM via App

Hey Kris, i wanna know that is discharging your battery completely not good? cuz i read in some articles long time ago that one should discharge their battery completely and then charge it too 100%! plz help! i have a nexus 4!

— modified on Jul 1, 2014, 5:15:07 PM

Kris Carlon

Jul 1, 2014, 6:34:10 PM via Website

Hey @Zaid, the issue is that with lithium polymer batteries like you have in your Nexus 4, the low voltage threshold is the point at which you may not be able to recharge the battery.

You can also damage cells by overcharging, but every time I mention overcharging everyone tears my head off because there's kill switches that ''should'' cut the flow of power.

The issue is that these don't always work which is why we see the occasional battery explode.

Rule of thumb -at least according to me - is don't leave your charger on longer than it needs to be and don't ever let your battery discharge completely (or at least not when you can avoid it).

Zaid Siddiqui

Jul 1, 2014, 6:49:50 PM via App

Thanks Kris! You saved my life! xD

Kenn Sanchez
  • Forum posts: 1

Jul 2, 2014, 12:04:12 AM via Website

Kris,

How do you feel about charging the phone over night while one sleeps?

Lalit
  • Admin

Jul 2, 2014, 6:28:51 AM via Website

Kris Carlon

Hey @John, that's a weird one. While it might seem good to charge faster when the battery is completely dead (kind of like cold water boiling faster) it's generally a bad idea to let your battery fully discharge, because depending on the type of battery you have, low voltage issues can occur.

I'd suggest two things:

1. Do a factory reset (which I'm sure you've already tried), as that usually clears up any weird battery activity following updates.

2. Try the Battery Calibration app (if you are rooted) and see if that makes a difference.

Other than these two solutions I can't think of much else, because if there's an issue with the batetery itself then that's a bit above my skill set. A replacement battery might be the only option.

Kris, I have tried the suggestions you have mentioned, but no effect ... things are still the same ! I think I should get the replacement before things started to get worse. (lightbulb)

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 770

Jul 2, 2014, 6:43:00 AM via App

it is working perfectly. now my battery is living for 6-8 hours instead of 2-3 hours.. definitely need to donate some money to develop

Ready To Help You.

Kris Carlon

Jul 2, 2014, 10:51:00 AM via Website

@mobilecrackers, happy I could help!

@John, sorry I couldn't help!

@Zaid, you're welcome!

@Kenn, personally I don't like the idea of pumping electricity into something for 10 hours that only needs 3 hours. I know they have a cut-off switch but I also see the reports of bloated, exploding and flaming batteries. I don't want to be a statistic that my colleagues write about so I charge my phone when I get up and top it up at my desk during the day. But that's just me. I also wear a tinfoil hat in case the aliens are listening to my thoughts.

Lalit
  • Admin

Jul 2, 2014, 11:14:59 AM via Website

Kris, there's just no need to be sorry ! I was planning to get a new battery pack after all the battery inside my device is almost a year old .... I can expect some issues with it ! (laughing)

And yes one more thing I know this is not the place but

"Where did you get that tinfoil hat inside your workplace??(laughing) Did you carry the tinfoil hat with you always...?" :?

I think I should also get one because Aliens can be anywhere (cool)and now I have started getting a feel that they may be around ... (lightbulb)

— modified on Jul 2, 2014, 11:15:32 AM

Fatima
  • Forum posts: 15

Feb 27, 2015, 10:48:50 AM via Website

I don't like the idea of doing a factory reset to clear the cache partition. Because it may remove all the data on the mobile.

Kevin Fine
  • Forum posts: 2

Apr 12, 2015, 6:02:52 PM via Website

Zaid Siddiqui

Hey Kris, i wanna know that is discharging your battery completely not good? cuz i read in some articles long time ago that one should discharge their battery completely and then charge it too 100%! plz help! i have a nexus 4!

The articles from long ago...
These would have been talking about nickel cadmium (NiCad) batteries and discharging them all the way to "0" was a good idea to avoid a "memory effect" where the battery would not be able to discharge below the point that the user "usually" discharged it to.
Lithium Ion batteries that are currently in use are generally considered a great improvement over NiCad technology and in my experience, I have concluded that is definitely true. Even using a laptop ALWAYS plugged in to a docking station in my office or a portable adaptor in the field, because of a need to be sure my computer would not shut down due to low battery, my lithium ion battery lasted 5 years before losing enough capacity that I needed to replace it.... Bought a new laptop instead...

Henry Ross
  • Forum posts: 5

May 11, 2015, 8:44:38 AM via Website

Thanks to share

Modi234
  • Forum posts: 10

Aug 21, 2015, 7:08:03 AM via Website

Awesome info i need it

nilofar shaikh
  • Forum posts: 581

Nov 26, 2015, 6:11:40 AM via Website

Does this really works? As far as my knowledge any app that we install will consume the battery. So how any app could save the battery, please explain in detail if any body can.

Looking for security app? Try Leo Privacy Guard 3.0.

Join Our Christmas Contest by visiting our Facebook page "LEO Privacy Guard"

Klavs P.
  • Forum posts: 23

Feb 3, 2016, 4:08:12 PM via Website

Im afraid that this software can damage my phone. I dont even imagine how it will influence for its productivity ..Anybody tried it?

Elena Green
  • Forum posts: 29

Feb 17, 2016, 4:04:28 AM via Website

WILL TRY

vijender thakur
  • Forum posts: 25

Feb 20, 2016, 6:29:43 AM via Website

Thanks for sharing ..........
Shiromani Akali Dal

Brad Pitte
  • Forum posts: 19

Feb 24, 2016, 12:55:32 PM via Website

Will this work on any versions of Android?:?

Thomasjoseph
  • Forum posts: 3

Apr 18, 2016, 7:32:37 AM via Website

Thanks for sharing nice information.

— modified on Apr 21, 2016, 9:44:55 AM

Sina Saedi
  • Forum posts: 26

May 3, 2016, 10:10:37 AM via Website

Follow these steps
1. Download Battery Calibration from Google Play (Click Here)
2. Use the phone or tablet as much as the power goes off
3. Plug the charger in and turn on the device
4. Open the Battery Calibration app
5. Wait until the charge is full
6. Leave the phone for about 20 minutes with the charger, after the charge is full
7. Now choose the Battery Calibrate option on the App
8. Your battery is calibrated now

Ryanrajpoot
  • Forum posts: 15

Jul 23, 2016, 12:52:36 AM via Website

I have sony xperia C5 ultra, its battery drained away very fast and it take approximately 4-5 hours for fully charged. Is this prove helpful for me or my phone has some problem.

Jaskulski
  • Forum posts: 31

Nov 4, 2016, 12:31:28 PM via Website

Great thread. I found it quite useful and will try for sure.

martin smith
  • Forum posts: 277

Nov 24, 2016, 10:22:07 AM via Website

Thanks for sharing the information.... its good to know and helpful...

Moral Dikson
  • Forum posts: 8

Jan 22, 2017, 3:28:18 AM via Website

Thank you for sharing

Ritesh Patil
  • Forum posts: 5

Mar 9, 2017, 8:50:09 AM via Website

With great power comes great responsibility! And in the Android Community, with great power comes great loss of battery life. If you’re like most smart phone addicts, the battery meter is often half empty (or less). And to make matters even worse, over time, your battery life will probably get worse and worse due to the degrading health of the battery itself.
Therefore, I have two solutions for you today.
Option 1: Battery Calibration (Root Required) – NeMa

1. Download Battery Calibration by NeMa for free from the Android Market.
  2. Plug in your phone and charge to 100%. (“It’s suggested, but not necessary, to let the phone fully discharge after calibration, then charged to 100% without break.”)
  3. Open Battery Calibration on your Android 2.1+ device and press the “Battery Calibration” button.
  4. Unplug your phone and enjoy a better battery life!

Option 2: (No Root) Physical Battery Calibration
This option is also very simple, but at the same time, a little more time consuming.

1. Turn your phone on and charge it for 8 hours or more.
  2. Unplug the charger.
  3. Turn your phone off and charge it for one hour.
  4. Unplug the charger.
  5. Turn on the phone and wait 2 minutes.
  6. Turn your phone off and charge it for one hour.
  7. Unplug, turn it on and use as normal. Your battery life should now be a lot better.

Keep in mind that a “calibration” is a comparison between measurements. Essentially, you are trying to achieve a “perfect world battery life”.

Plug in your phone and charge to 100%. (“It’s suggested, but not necessary, to let the phone fully discharge after calibration, then charged to 100% without break.”)
Open Battery Calibration on your Android 2.1+ device and press the “Battery Calibration” button.
Unplug your phone and enjoy a better battery life!

Liu Huanhuan
  • Forum posts: 22

Mar 14, 2017, 3:25:28 AM via Website

Thanks for the tips

Mary K.

Mar 27, 2017, 10:17:20 AM via Website

Good points!

ayoub bouroumine

Apr 30, 2017, 3:18:41 PM via Website

thank you for the info

Promo
  • Forum posts: 18

May 23, 2017, 9:31:53 PM via Website

Just uncharged and fully charge your phone once in a while and it will recalibrate by itself.

John Furystrom
  • Forum posts: 47

Jul 14, 2017, 10:21:51 AM via Website

Will use this in the future!

Francis Golden
  • Forum posts: 12

Aug 10, 2017, 5:49:21 PM via Website

Great! Good to know I've had problems with this in the past.

Danish Qureshi
  • Forum posts: 42

Jan 29, 2018, 11:37:04 AM via Website

1.Discharge your phone fully until it turns itself off.
2.Turn it on again and let it turn itself off.
3.Plug your phone into a charger and, without turning it on, let it charge until the on-screen or LED indicator says 100 percent.
4.Unplug your charger.
5.Turn your phone on.
6.Unplug your phone and restart it.

iphone.theme
  • Forum posts: 17

Oct 9, 2018, 3:13:32 PM via Website

Very usefull information :)

IceInMyEyes
  • Forum posts: 13

Oct 11, 2018, 11:48:12 AM via Website

Cool, I need to try it with my new battery!

BobSinovsky
  • Forum posts: 16

Mar 28, 2019, 9:43:23 AM via Website

Good question! same problems. Thanx for answers

Peihoulousy

Apr 3, 2020, 5:33:23 AM via Website

No root

Step 1:
One. Keep the phone turned on, connect the charger to charge (both USB and cable) are full, unplug the charger, turn off the phone, connect the charger to charge, let the phone charge again, unplug the charger

Step 2:
Turn off the phone, connect the charger to charge, let the phone be fully charged again, unplug the charger, power on, wait for the phone to power on and fully enter the system, then shut down quickly

Step 3:
Connect the charger to the phone that has been turned off again and wait a few minutes for the phone to be fully charged. Unplug the charger and turn it on for normal use.

kassani

Apr 26, 2020, 5:10:12 PM via Website

I have problems with the battery, but the calibration does not help. I've been told that the problem is with the battery, but I'm not completely sure. Tomorrow I'll go to the service center and ask. If replacing the battery will not be expensive, then I will definitely change it.

Roova

Jan 20, 2021, 8:47:33 AM via Website

Tried it, not working.

TedyBo
  • Forum posts: 24

Feb 8, 2021, 7:42:24 PM via Website

I think the applications will not help, you need to discharge to the end and then charge.

Xgemone

May 3, 2021, 7:27:31 PM via Website

Thank you! Helpful information

petrthomas
  • Forum posts: 24

May 21, 2021, 8:22:58 AM via Website

I haven't tried it yet as the post is around 7 years old but reading out the response from the users i will give it a shot and share my experience.

petcapaldi
  • Forum posts: 13

Jul 16, 2021, 2:04:07 PM via Website

I would also advise not to charge the battery to 100%. Better to charge her 96-99%, which will extend her life without calibrations

ingolf324

Nov 19, 2021, 6:18:23 PM via Website

Hello, thank you for these tips, unfortunately, I was charging the phone at night and it is already very weak, I will never charge the phone at night in a new phone because it is a big error, unfortunately and the battery kept very well until I charged the phone normally

cedric4013

Jan 14, 2022, 4:49:35 PM via Website

Thanks for these tips, the battery life is a bit longer, maybe not much, but at least a little longer because earlier 1% fell every 2 minutes and now every 3 minutes, thank you very much

LauraRoma
  • Forum posts: 6

Feb 17, 2022, 1:17:48 PM via Website

Very useful sharing!

Jinna Guils
  • Forum posts: 19

Oct 23, 2023, 3:43:50 PM via Website

Thanks for this interesting information!