Is Android Wear Good Enough for Sports?

• Replies:6
InThePocket
  • Forum posts: 1

Sep 1, 2014, 10:42:44 PM via Website

Hey All,

New to the Android Wear scene and wanted to see what I could do with it...wait, never mind that. What I'd want to do with it. Came up with the idea of having the watch track some important metrics for sports and act as a digital coach.

I've spent a while developing the algorithms and was even thinking of building hardware until the Android Wear platform came out. I'm thinking that the Wear platform is more than good enough for sports..it has a sensor and best of all it has a screen for real time feedback. Why not?

I mocked up the concept in a video. If you search "Onyx Motion - Potential" you can find it on YouTube.

Really interested in hearing your thoughts. Constructive criticism, accolades, whatever.

Senapus Petit
  • Forum posts: 70

Sep 2, 2014, 10:17:29 AM via Website

I have a degree in kinesiology.

Basket is just 1 sport and the app in the video only covers one gesture, that is a seriously limited use of the android wear devices functionalities. I would like to see how accurate the measure is though, it could be useful.

Let's talk about cardio exercise instead:
Most people exercise this way, it's "easy" and it doesn't usually require any specific equipment to go out and run for a long time.
Cardio exercise is useful to lose weight and improve the lifestyle in many different ways, this is done by practising from 3 times per week up to once or twice a day, 1 hour or more each session.

The only useful information during such exercise is heart rate monitoring.
Based on the health condition of the subject, keeping the heart rate at a 65-75% of the maximum during the exercise is important.
If you could make an app with simple calculation of the target heart rate based on any of the most famous formula, an alert that notifies the wearer to speed up or slow down... That would be useful.

GPS is not as useful, it can tell how long was the distance covered but it is meaningless, it could be used as motivation method.
Comparing each session can show the improvements.
A lot of people train on treadmills, crosstrainers and other static machines that would not use the GPS features though.

Calorie counter, weight and other metrics are inaccurate and demotivating.
There are many apps for these things but I have yet to see an actually useful and scientific one. Android wear could be the answer.

— modified on Sep 2, 2014, 10:21:22 AM

Miroslav Novosvetsky
  • Forum posts: 1

Jan 19, 2015, 4:42:10 PM via Website

I would say it is. Bud now even big mobile developers doesn't care about it and not optimize apps very well. I have SW3 and for example must use

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 17

Jan 29, 2015, 10:35:10 AM via Website

Yeah Definitely... it is...

Teensy Studios

Sarbu Daniela
  • Forum posts: 12

Nov 30, 2015, 11:32:15 AM via Website

GPS is not as useful, it can tell how long was the distance covered but it is meaningless, it could be used as motivation method.

nilofar shaikh
  • Forum posts: 581

Nov 30, 2015, 5:01:12 PM via Website

What Android wear are you talking about? If you are talking about watch it might help you but it would also damaged while playing it.

Looking for security app? Try Leo Privacy Guard 3.0.

Join Our Christmas Contest by visiting our Facebook page "LEO Privacy Guard"

Christopher
  • Forum posts: 22

Apr 6, 2016, 1:15:57 PM via Website

yes, definitely
android wears are good for sports as well as health.

thanks