Turn your old Android device into a Cloudserver

• Replies:0
Hanz Peter
  • Forum posts: 1

Sep 12, 2014, 11:20:49 PM via Website

Hey people!
I recently thought of possible projects to realize with my old Samsung Galaxy S2. It has a shattered screen, but beside that its perfectly working. I thought it's somehow a shame to leave this device unused, since it is actually such a powerful computer. And I guess that applies to many of you: You get a new phone and your old phone rests somewhere in a drawer. You could sell it-but either it some misfunctions (which are often simply from a beauty aspect :D), or you simply want to keep it. That's how I got to the idea to use my old Galaxy S2 as a cloudserver.

For that I basically installed Ubuntu Touch on it (which is available for many Android devices) and then on it the ownCloud server. And it works :D! Now I have my phone running on the charger and a perfectly working cloudserver. At the moment I use a 32 GB memory card, but it would be possible to attach a mass memory via USB OTG. But then I would have to power the phone directly from the wall plug (which should be possible with a normal 5V charger and a diode), but ... meh, next project :D.

A small demonstration you can see on Youtube:
youtube.com/watch?v=6zyAzjIKmt4

To read the whole story with step-by-step guide, check my blog:
klonom.com/turn-your-old-android-device-into-a-cloudserver/

What do you think of it?

— modified on Sep 12, 2014, 11:21:21 PM