Do I have to specify the supporting devices n playstore

• Replies:5
Hari Krishna G
  • Forum posts: 6

Sep 19, 2014, 10:17:46 AM via Website

Do I have to specify the supporting devices & tablets names while uploading to Google Play store

Edwin Bos
  • Forum posts: 23

Sep 19, 2014, 11:41:45 AM via Website

No, this process is actually really easy.

Your manifest file has a value for the minimum SDK level that your app requires. This is automatically used in the Google Play store.

It helps to test your app on different devices and screens (e.g. using Eclipse), but in the end this is up to you.

Tablets is another thing though. If you want your app to be available to tablets, you need a separate screenshot and it helps if your app is designed to be used for tablets (has a different design when you run it on a tablet).

Good luck!

Hari Krishna G

Hari Krishna G

Sep 19, 2014, 11:48:16 AM via Website

Thank you for your answer , but if I simply specify minimum SDK Version 8, then I've to support all devices from version 8 .

Like do I need to design xmls for all the screen sizes from sdk 8 ?

Edwin Bos

Sep 19, 2014, 11:54:05 AM via Website

Hari Krishna G

Thank you for your answer , but if I simply specify minimum SDK Version 8, then I've to support all devices from version 8 .

Like do I need to design xmls for all the screen sizes from sdk 8 ?

No. SDK and screen sizes are 2 different things.

SDK = version of android that is used (can, in theory, be any phone and any phone type).

However, you should check that your app looks good on different screen sizes (this is where the emulator that is provided with Eclipse comes in handy). This has nothing to do with SDK though. Google will simply assume that your app can run on different screens...

So the answer is yes: you should design your app so that it can handle all screen sizes. Tablet screens are not required though (but is a plus).

— modified on Sep 19, 2014, 11:55:49 AM

Hari Krishna G

Hari Krishna G

Sep 19, 2014, 12:01:48 PM via Website

Thank you,

Edwin Bos

Sep 19, 2014, 12:02:37 PM via Website

Glad to help :)

And thx for liking my post!