Google Nexus 5 — Android 5.0

• Replies:1
sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Oct 20, 2014, 2:27:38 PM via Website

As everyone (should be) aware Google have released 5.0 Lollipop, the latest update to Android. It's available as standard on the Nexus 6 and 9 while Nexus 5's will start updating in November. Google have also released a 3rd update to the 'L' developer preview, which is basically an OTA which can be flashed using fastboot. It's available here on Google Dev with full instructions, or you can check here on XDA where some devs have compiled it into a flashable zip for a quicker fix (it appears to be flashable over previous versions of the L preview, but not KitKat).
I previously put up some pictures of the L preview and there's not a huge difference visually, but the final release has corrected a few bugs and added some extra functions. There's now a clear all button in the notifications dropdown, which was sorely needed, extra accessibility options such as high contrast text, and proper multi-user support, to name a few.
There's a pretty handy function where you can stop all notifications, allow priority notifications, or allow all. It can also be scheduled for certain days/times or be set to last for a set number of minutes or hours. Multi-user support is initially set up for the main Google account and a guest. You can add further users and specify if any users can make phone calls as well as personalising their set-up.
The Nexus 5 seems to be running 5.0 surprisingly well. Previous phones have always felt a little compromised after major updates; my old Xperia Arc never really seemed to run as smoothly on ICS as it did on Gingerbread, or my One X seemed to have an abridged version of Jelly Bean, for example. If anything, the Nexus seems to run better on Lollipop. The battery life on the stock rom/stock kernel has been better than the heavily modified version of Paranoid Android 4.4.4 that I was using and there have been no stutters or slowdowns at any point. There are still apps that have not been updated for the latest API, of course, but that's to be expected. I've put some screenies below.

imageimageimage

Sinkster

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Oct 20, 2014, 2:30:42 PM via Website

Some more screens:

imageimageimage

Sinkster