WhatsApp read message blue checks: are you a fan or not?

• Replies:17
Scott Adam Gordon
  • Forum posts: 445

Nov 6, 2014, 12:28:19 PM via Website

WhatsApp has been updated to show when recipients have read your messages with the addition of blue check marks:

https://www.nextpit.com/whatsapp-update

I want to know, are you happy with this blue tick change? Or did you prefer things the way they were?

Or do you simply not care either way?

And why? :D

Scott Adam Gordon

Nov 6, 2014, 1:06:09 PM via Website

John F.

I just don't care much about it what difference does a colorful tick would create ! (silly)

Quite right, Jon. It's technically not such a big difference.

Cookie Sunbeam
  • Forum posts: 4

Nov 9, 2014, 1:54:08 AM via Website

I like it. :) The new change helps you differentiate the recipients who are too-busy-to-read from the ones who just like ignoring. :P It's nice to know who's worth messaging in my list ;) :P

I also like how subtle the change is...not many will notice. You'd find out they ignored you before they could do something about it :P

Scott Adam Gordon

Nov 10, 2014, 9:38:35 AM via Website

Cookie Sunbeam

I like it. :) The new change helps you differentiate the recipients who are too-busy-to-read from the ones who just like ignoring. :P It's nice to know who's worth messaging in my list ;) :P

I also like how subtle the change is...not many will notice. You'd find out they ignored you before they could do something about it :P

Yes I'm starting to like it now too. I definitely like how I know if everybody in a group has seen a message now, because before you couldn't even see a "last seen" time for the recipients. I really like this

Cookie Sunbeam

Cookie Sunbeam

Nov 10, 2014, 3:22:31 PM via Website

Scott Adam Gordon

Cookie Sunbeam

Yes I'm starting to like it now too. I definitely like how I know if everybody in a group has seen a message now, because before you couldn't even see a "last seen" time for the recipients. I really like this

Actually, I googled the blue double check on what'sapp and it led me to this site/app. ;)

I don't group chat much but yeah, the new feature is most useful there. It could improve though if they make it more like FB group message where receipients who read are specified :)

Scott Adam Gordon

Nov 10, 2014, 4:00:39 PM via Website

Cookie Sunbeam

Scott Adam Gordon

Cookie Sunbeam

Actually, I googled the blue double check on what'sapp and it led me to this site/app. ;)

I don't group chat much but yeah, the new feature is most useful there. It could improve though if they make it more like FB group message where receipients who read are specified :)

Yes absolutely. That would be cool!

Does anybody know anyway to get around it? If you don't want people to know you have read the message?

Cookie Sunbeam

Kevin Berendsen
  • Forum posts: 118

Nov 10, 2014, 4:05:03 PM via Website

@Scott, there's a possibility to catch all the notifications from your mobile phone into a different app and read the incoming messages from there without making WhatsApp-app active again which allows you to read the messages without letting the app mark the messages as read :)

Oh and there are different apps to receive WhatsApp messages as well. I recall my father using one of those apps to hide your online status. When I send a message to him and he reads it, the checks don't turn blue.

— modified on Nov 10, 2014, 4:19:22 PM

Scott Adam Gordon

Nov 10, 2014, 4:21:15 PM via Website

Kevin Berendsen

@Scott, there's a possibility to catch all the notifications from your mobile phone into a different app and read the incoming messages from there without making WhatsApp-app active again which allows you to read the messages without letting the app mark the messages as read :)

Sounds good Kevin but do know which app I can use to do this? :D

Kevin Berendsen

Nov 10, 2014, 4:51:12 PM via Website

Scott Adam Gordon

Kevin Berendsen

I know a few apps that allow you to get all the notifications but sadly no messages. There's a library to decrypt the encryped WhatsApp messages though. Will take a look into it in the weekend.

There's another way though. You've got a WhatsApp widget on your mobile phone. Just put the widget somewhere and you will be able to view a certain amount of messages without letting the other one know that you read it.

http://dd508hmafkqws.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/Whatsapp%20Blue%20Tick%20%283%29.png

This is how it looks like. Sadly you can't scroll up or down.

Scott Adam Gordon

Nov 10, 2014, 4:58:26 PM via Website

Kevin Berendsen

Scott Adam Gordon

Kevin Berendsen

I know a few apps that allow you to get all the notifications but sadly no messages. There's a library to decrypt the encryped WhatsApp messages though. Will take a look into it in the weekend.

There's another way though. You've got a WhatsApp widget on your mobile phone. Just put the widget somewhere and you will be able to view a certain amount of messages without letting the other one know that you read it.

http://dd508hmafkqws.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/Whatsapp%20Blue%20Tick%20%283%29.png

This is how it looks like. Sadly you can't scroll up or down.

Just tried it with Snowball Beta and it worked like a charm. WhatsApp widget, brilliant idea again. Great suggestions dude thanks! :D

Gabriel Dominato
  • Forum posts: 6

Nov 10, 2014, 7:25:39 PM via Website

All too well, I can still ignoring who I want using the WhatsApp Widget or only don't answering who I don't want

Kevin Berendsen

Nov 10, 2014, 8:55:46 PM via Website

Scott Adam Gordon

Just tried it with [Snowball Beta][1] and it worked like a charm. WhatsApp widget, brilliant idea again. Great suggestions dude thanks! :D

[1]: https://www.nextpit.com/app/com.squanda.swoop.app

No problem :) Snowball looks great by the screenshots. Will check it out later this week.

I haven't shared my opinion about the blue checks yet so here we go: Now people will truly know that I'm busy when not responding to messages on whatsapp. Major addition to me even though it's small and simple.

Edit: It seems that you can scroll up and down using the whatsapp widget, my bad :) .

— modified on Nov 11, 2014, 12:42:01 AM

Cookie Sunbeam

Nov 11, 2014, 12:51:48 AM via Website

Scott Adam Gordon

Kevin Berendsen

On my phone, the notification I get scrolls up the mesages of any app automatically...however, if you get 3 or more messages from someone it only shows the latest message and the numbers of messages you received :s

(off topic) Idk if there's a setting in whatsapp to automatically pop up/quick reply like in Viber where you can read and it would still look unread.

Ram Singh
  • Forum posts: 7

Nov 11, 2014, 11:27:35 AM via Website

Hii Friend I like very much whats app in blue tick change Whether he/she is seen or unseen message from another site.......................................

Whatspp Numbers
  • Forum posts: 11

May 19, 2015, 1:22:13 AM via Website

OKEYYYYYY

Kimberly Crump
  • Forum posts: 1

Mar 26, 2017, 12:14:19 AM via Website

I love the checkmarks but I have a question: how do you know if the person u sent the text to read it..if they don't respond??
It seems to me you only get 2 blue chek marks if the person responds..so what if the person just reads it but does not respond will u still get the 2 blue chek marks??