Samsung Galaxy S5 — WhatsApps conversation transfer from PC to mobile

• Replies:5
  • Answered
DB G
  • Forum posts: 3

Dec 28, 2014, 3:27:49 PM via Website

I had samsung galaxy ace2 mobile and upgraded to the same network with Samsung Galaxy S5. I got the new small SIM but using the same old number. I would like to transfer my old whatsapps conversation to new mobile. For this I have back up the conversation but it stored in internal device. There was no option to save in SD card. Therefore I have transferred the Whatsapps folder into my PC via USB cable but when I tried to copy the same folder to new mobile after downloading the whatsapp it did not ask me to restore neither it copied. When I opened the apps it only appeared with one old contact number. How to transfer/restore my old conversation? Is there any chance to copy from my PC to mobile? Hope this forum will help me out. Thanks.

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Dec 28, 2014, 4:47:59 PM via Website

Well, @DBG that can be done in an easy manner what you need to do is:

1. To create a backup from your old galaxy ace2 open the settings menu of WhatsApp, tap on "Chat Settings" and then tap "Backup Conversations".
  2. Connect your smartphone via USB cable to the PC and navigate in the internal memory of the device to the folder "WhatsApp / Databases".
  3. The backup files are saved with the date say ''msgstore-2014-12-28.db.crypt''. You need to copy the file with the latest date on your PC,
  4. Now Install WhatsApp (which I am sure you have already done) on your S5 (But remember don't start the app!)
  5. Connect your S5 via USB to the PC and look for a folder "WhatsApp / Databases". If it's not created then you can manually create it and copy the backup file "msgstore-2014-12-28.db.crypt" over to this folder.
  6. All done now start your WhatsApp on your new phone and verify your phone number. You will get a notification that a message backup was found. Just tap over the "Restore" and done !

All your previous messages will appear ! :)

DB G

Dec 29, 2014, 7:29:04 PM via Website

Hi John,

Thank you very much for your time and guidance. I have already searched these useful information from your site and followed the same steps but unable to copy into my new mobile. I have copied the ''msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD db.crypt7'' file in S5 manually. Then after it did not ask me the new number as it has already asked me while I have downloaded WhatsApp. Please also note that I have got crypt7 not just crypt which is not exactly as you mentioned. I have also not found the notification regarding the restore.

At present I have a WhatsApp folder saved in my PC from old mobile. Can I use the same saved file? Please be informed that to check the old contacts and messages I have opened the WhatsApp once (after trying to transfer the old conversation via USB cable). Then after I have opened the app couple of times just for checking purpose but I have not started chat yet.

Now can I delete the WhatApps and download again into new mobile and try it again. Does it work? Alternatively, if I can transfer the old conversation into my SD card and then restore into the new mobile please guide me how to complete the cycle as it has always notified the internal space only NOT THE SD CARD TO BACK UP.

Awaiting for your valuable advice.

Thanking you,
Kind regards,

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Dec 30, 2014, 4:09:58 PM via Website

Well @DBG no worries at all you can use the ''msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD db.crypt7"file to restore over your S5, I guess the reason why the popup for restore doesn't pops up because you have opened whatsapp means your whatsapp is already configured to use ! No worries at all what you can do is try heading over to settings>application manager>Swipe left to all>Look out for whatsapp>tap over it and clear the cache and the data stored. And then again follow the steps I have mentioned above! Hope this will fix things for you :)

DB G

Dec 30, 2014, 4:39:15 PM via Website

John F.

Well @DBG no worries at all you can use the ''msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD db.crypt7"file to restore over your S5, I guess the reason why the popup for restore doesn't pops up because you have opened whatsapp means your whatsapp is already configured to use ! No worries at all what you can do is try heading over to settings>application manager>Swipe left to all>Look out for whatsapp>tap over it and clear the cache and the data stored. And then again follow the steps I have mentioned above! Hope this will fix things for you :)

Hi John,
Thank you very much for your guidance. Now it worked. Got peace of mind. Hats off John.

Regards,