Samsung Galaxy S5 — galaxy s5 lollipop wifi issues

• Replies:25
Clayton Jordan
  • Forum posts: 2

Feb 1, 2015, 6:05:21 PM via Website

Hi I have recently installed lollipop on my galaxy s5 and my phone keeps connecting and dosconecting to my wifi has anybody else had any help most appreciated

Mike Law

Feb 1, 2015, 7:55:41 PM via Website

Iv having the exact same issue since updating to lollipop yesterday.

Clayton Jordan

Feb 1, 2015, 8:05:25 PM via Website

I sussed it if you turn off smart wifi it works

shuggie jamesNigel Clarkson

Mike Law

Feb 1, 2015, 11:22:24 PM via Website

Mine is turned off and still keeps disconnecting

kit kat
  • Forum posts: 1

Feb 5, 2015, 3:13:52 PM via Website

got the same problem my wifi keep connecting and disconnecting its driving me mad.

nineathena

Feb 7, 2015, 8:56:54 AM via Website

I'm having the same issues. MAJOR issues with lollipop so far. Phone is deathly slow, it freezes, overheats something silly, drops the wifi constantly and the battery life is ridiculous. Also doesn't charge as fast as it used to.

I wiped the cache partition. It did make a bit of difference, but not a lot. I'm giving it 24 hours, and then I'm possibly rooting and reverting back to KitKat until they sort this mess of an update out!

Give this a try:

Power off your Samsung Galaxy S5 by long pressing the Power On/ Off
button. Wait until the device is completely shut down. Now you have to
press the following keys at the same time to turn on the phone again:

• Power On / Off • Volume up • Home button

If the Samsung Galaxy S5 vibrates once, release the power on/ off
button, but keep the other two keys from the key combination pressed
until a menu appears on the display. Now mark the entry "Wipe cache
partition" with the volume down key. With the power on / off button,
the entry can be selected and the process will start. This usually
takes only a few seconds. Then the previously displayed menu appears
again. Now select the first entry "Reboot system now" and run the
command again with pressing the power button. Your Samsung Galaxy S5
will now reboot.

Deactivated AccountNigel Clarkson

Nigel Clarkson

Feb 7, 2015, 9:41:27 AM via Website

Turning of smart WiFi worked for me along with clearing cache, great tip - thanks

— modified on Feb 7, 2015, 9:42:08 AM

Sal Valladares

Feb 9, 2015, 12:07:17 PM via Website

where is the "smart WiFi" switch?

Marion Noonan

Feb 16, 2015, 1:57:17 PM via Website

I have been having same issues with Lollipop update, restored phone to factory settings which was a pain but resolved all except the wifi issue, constantly disconnecting and reconnecting but i may have solved problem today, went to Settings, Connection, more networks, mobile networks, network mode, changed to GSM only, closed back out to home screen, went back in and changed back to LTE/WCDMA/GSM which was original setting, technically i have no idea what all this does but Wifi connection now seems to be stable, still scanning for Networks but not jumping from one connection to the other, has been ok now for a couple of hours, will update if it starts disconnecting again. Fingers crossed.

4 days later, changing settings has helped, but still having trouble with connections and battery, does anyone know if these issues will be fixed through updates or have Google pretty much rendered our very expensive phones to pretty much useless slabs, I have turned off smart network switch which was one of the phones main features when purchased. I have also finally had to download a battery saver app as my battery drains every few hours. After owning several Iphones and Androids i had decided to switch to all things Google, right now i'm feeling really pissed, haven't found a forum or web search yet that states Google are aware of existing problems and are working on fixing them.

— modified on Feb 22, 2015, 12:12:47 PM

Marion Noonan

Feb 16, 2015, 1:59:39 PM via Website

Go to settings, click on wifi and smart network switch is above your networks,

shuggie james

shuggie james

Feb 22, 2015, 11:37:33 AM via Website

Disabling the smart network switch is what worked for me.

Got the phone in November and I only just discovered the problem because I got a warning from my provider that I had used up my monthly allowance of high speed data and would only now be able to surf at low speed. Checked my provider logs and found that sometimes the phone was detecting weaker wifi at least once a minute and then automatically connecting to the mobile network (and presumably then sending a short message - so using up my allowance!)

Thanks for the tip.

barry medhurst

Feb 22, 2015, 12:23:04 PM via Website

down loaded lollipop to my s5 about two weeks ago and i have to say it is a load of rubbish, phone running slow WIFI keeps dropping out in thirteen days where WIFI keeps dropping have used nearly 500mb of data usage and going to have to start paying for it, blooming hate lollipop wish i had never downloaded the it have tried to do factory reset to get rid but with no success so far, don't seem to be able to do what am being told to do think going to have to go to o2 shop get them to do it for me.

Justin Houston

Apr 14, 2015, 9:33:55 AM via Website

Clayton Jordan

Hi I have recently installed lollipop on my galaxy s5 and my phone keeps connecting and dosconecting to my wifi has anybody else had any help most appreciated

Go into Settings>Application Manager>All> scroll down to WiFi Direct and force stop it. There seems to be some conflict with this and also your WiFi constantly scanning for networks at the same time. For good measure, I also force stopped WiFi Direct Share. You have to manually go in and force.stop them every time you reconnect to the WiFi that's giving you trouble. Its the only way until there's a way to disable or uninstall them.

Daisy

monetzy

Apr 17, 2015, 6:03:35 AM via Website

Clayton Jordan

In March I was prompted to update and then about two weeks later I also lost the capability to turn on the WIFI. I went to the Verizon store and with in 5 minutes the sales person gave up and ordered a new phone. It was a hassle because I has to go back one the phone was delivered to me so they could transfer my info from the old phone to the new phone. I think I was luck in the fact that the new phone had Kitkat on it... until yesterday. I upgraded to Lollipop not thinking that the software was the cause of the problem. So I guess I will have to wait and see if the problem starts again. :(

John Brown

Jun 22, 2015, 12:41:25 AM via Website

I have a Galaxy S6 a month old, i noticed after turning off wifi within seconds it was backon , scanning and draining my battery. I updated the system a day or 2 after i got it and i dont know if it did it before that or not. I have talked to sprint and been to the store a total of 3 times and they say its the LOLIPOP doing it, probabally happened after i updated it. All the wifi switches are off, everything that should keep it from automatically turning on is not working. Ive taled to SAMSUNG on chat 3 times, we tried safe mode and now they want to factory reset it, im not ready for that. IVE NEVER EVEN TRIED TO CONNECT TO WIFI, EVER. Heres a strange thing, i noticed if i go about 10 miles or more out of my normal area the wifi will stay off, UNTIL i get back about 10 miles within my normal area then it comes back on. I turn it off and 10 seconds later its back on again. ANNOYING. So theres something in my area forcing the wifi back on, but it never tried to connect, it just comes on and starts scanning networks. I couldnt remember the name of the software LOLLIPOP, but i asked samsung if there aware of any factory software isuues causing this and they said no. When I was at sprint they told me that samsung is well aware of it and basically ill just have to wait it out till they fix the issue!? So I dont know. My Galaxy 3 had the same issue, after manually turning it off 1000 times it finally stayed off and never came back on. But that was so long ago i dont remember if i updated the software and it stopped or what.

Ms. B.

Kirsty Brydges

Jul 21, 2015, 2:07:08 PM via Website

Did you get this sorted on the end , mine won't connect to house wifi yet other phones will and I am on Lollipop I want to decrease my data on my contract but can't until this is sorted out.

Ms. B.

Ms. B.
  • Forum posts: 3

Jul 30, 2015, 5:03:43 PM via Website

I just solved this problem yesterday by downloading an app called Wi-Fi Keep Alive. What your phone is doing is it keeps going into sleep mode kinda like it's stuck and this app keeps it from sleeping unless you manually turn it off. So try this app but before installing it forget your current wifi connection and turn it off. Once you download the app, then scan a connection and reenter your password for your WiFi. I hope this helps. Mines is working fine since yesterday 😊.

Ms. B.

Jul 30, 2015, 5:10:02 PM via Website

Try an app called Wi-Fi Keep Alive it really did work for me. Because what your phone is doing is it keeps going to sleep, kinda like it's stuck. This app prevents it from sleeping at all unless you manually turn it off. And the app takes up only a small space. Hope this can help 😉.

Ms. B.

Jul 30, 2015, 5:13:10 PM via Website

monetzy

Clayton Jordan

In March I was prompted to update and then about two weeks later I also lost the capability to turn on the WIFI. I went to the Verizon store and with in 5 minutes the sales person gave up and ordered a new phone. It was a hassle because I has to go back one the phone was delivered to me so they could transfer my info from the old phone to the new phone. I think I was luck in the fact that the new phone had Kitkat on it... until yesterday. I upgraded to Lollipop not thinking that the software was the cause of the problem. So I guess I will have to wait and see if the problem starts again. :(

If it does download an app called Wi-Fi Keep Alive. It worked for me very well with small storage space used on my Samsung galaxy.

Niki Beckemeyer

Oct 18, 2015, 9:40:14 PM via Website

I have the same problem. Turned off the smart switch and still is disconnects. No problems with other devices in my home, just this phone. I have also noticed my phone battery dying rather quickly in the last few weeks and the phone gets extremely hot, usually while charging or playing a game through wifi.....

Jaime Rodriguez Jurado

Aug 4, 2016, 1:51:29 AM via Website

I have an S5 Neo and there's no "smart switch" anywhere.

Patricia Coomer

Apr 27, 2017, 4:54:24 PM via Website

Downloaded the app, nothing. I may sound like a doomsday personality, but seriously doubt Samsung is looking for a fix. As long as problem persists people switch wifi off and use data plan. More data means more money to providers. Samsung is a piece of crap. Not my next phone for sure!!!!

JayavardhanNCBR
  • Forum posts: 4

Apr 28, 2017, 12:21:02 PM via Website

My Phone also turning off and keeps disconnecting.

Daisy

Jun 28, 2017, 2:06:29 PM via Website

Thank you SOOOOO much... It WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D :D:D :D:D :D:D :D:D :D:D

Yucel blt

Dec 14, 2017, 10:18:39 PM via Website

I have reading writings from the beggining... Thanks for the solutions adviced. But I stil have the same problem evendo factory reset. I donwloaded firmware and odin. İnstalled new firmware via my computer... my wifi is still inactive. What's wrong? Is not there any certain/final solution? İt is a real headache. A little more help really appreciated...

zmirli nazim
  • Forum posts: 7

Dec 14, 2017, 11:04:17 PM via Website

I connect to my WiFi device and after 1 mint my net will b discount and show the message your device will disconnected session time out?what I can do.