Microphone suddenly gone from my keyboard.

• Replies:20
Jack Morin
  • Forum posts: 1

Feb 11, 2015, 5:38:35 AM via Website

The microphone that had always been there (on the same key as the 'period') has suddenly disappeared. It was what allowed me to speak the text I wanted in my messages. I've checked all my settings and cannot determine where the problem lies. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, how did you resolve it?

Teresa Blythe

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 770

Feb 13, 2015, 4:30:41 PM via Website

Go to Settings..
Scroll down to find Language and input, then tap it.
Check the box in the left side of Google voice typing to enable this option. Enable this option will make the Mic button available on your Samsung keyboard and vice versa.
Now, open an app that requires you to use keyboard, such as Messaging app.
On keyboard, long tap the key in the left side of Space bar. You should see the Microphone icon displayed in the pop up menu as one of available option.

— modified on Feb 13, 2015, 4:31:05 PM

Ready To Help You.

Sorin

Joe Caughman

Nov 1, 2017, 9:40:09 PM via Website

Press the icon where the Mic button use to be located and press it for several seconds. The Mic icon will show up along with several other icons. Select the Mic icon.

Frustraited

Dec 16, 2018, 10:45:57 PM via Website

I lost my mic on the LG20 Android 7. I configured the keyboard with the mic. When I press the gear the mic is still not there. When I tap on the google search field, the word Listening appears, then nothing. It doesn't make a sound or say recognizing. This worked fine till a few days ago.

Chuck Booker
  • Forum posts: 2

Apr 19, 2019, 2:52:48 PM via Website

There is no box labeled " Google voice typing"

Chuck Booker

Apr 19, 2019, 2:55:48 PM via Website

Ah. You most press "on screen keyboard" first ... after clicking on Google voice typing, still: no mic icon on keyboard.

Joseph patterson

May 14, 2019, 4:48:57 AM via Website

Go to apps and make sure that Google is enabled

Joseph patterson

May 14, 2019, 4:50:39 AM via Website

this is how I just fixed mine five minutes ago

Sassy_Raven

Jul 19, 2019, 3:37:55 PM via Website

Thank you so much for posting this, it has been driving me crazy and I have been searching the internet for a solution and this worked! :D

Mac Mac

Nov 24, 2019, 3:01:40 AM via Website

(1st)
Open GBoard App

(2nd)
Settings open now
Open "A✓ Text Correction" (Touch-it)

(3rd)
"Turn-on" Show suggestions Tab
(Was 1st Tab on my list)

This worked for me after every other suggestion failed to work.
Presto- my Mic was back ! ☺️

T J Elliott

T J Elliott

Jul 24, 2020, 9:21:26 PM via Website

This works for me and I am so grateful. Could not find the answer anywhere else and tried several other solutions posed without any success. People can complain about the Internet, but it has this wonderful facility for allowing me to find answers to your questions

markst5695

Aug 25, 2020, 6:56:19 PM via Website

I went to settings: selected Language & Keyboard---> current keyboard---->here you will see a pop-up screen that says Change Keyboard, at the bottom, it says cancel or select more. Click on select more. Here you will see Google voice typing. Select this.
When I did this I still had my LG keyboard but the microphone appeared once again on my keyboard!

namarang

Aug 25, 2020, 8:43:11 PM via Website

I also had this problem once, go to the settings section, you have probably enable the Mic button, return it to the disable mode.

Troy Lacey

Oct 6, 2020, 11:48:54 PM via Website

I had the same issue having no microphone on the keyboard of my phone. After many many hours researching and reading various suggestions/ posts (that didn't work for me) I stumbled across a solution that was so simple. Here it is. Those with newer phones running Android Ver. 10 (I have an LG V60).... Go to: Settings/ System/ Language & Keyboard/ Manage keyboard/ LG Keyboard/ Turn OFF "Smart Toolbar"... That's it! Because with Smart Toolbar places a toolbar across the top of your keyboard but the microphone is buried about 2 or 3 clicks in there to get to it. By turning OFF the Smart Toolbar, it places the microphone right beside your spacebar. Wa- La!

Denny Biliamm
  • Forum posts: 13

Oct 7, 2020, 5:02:41 AM via Website

Your update is too old or no longer relevant, please update to the latest version to use that feature. It is very inconvenient when we cannot use voice in text.

Solomon Kane

Jun 30, 2021, 7:41:11 AM via Website

Awesome!

Recently nothing would happen when I clicked on the microphone icon. This tip about making sure that Google was enabled did the trick. How on earth, it became disabled is a mystery, one most likely destined never to be solved.

Thanks so much for this solution! It's difficult for me to input text, due to the fact that - for reasons I won't go into here - my hands shake uncontrollably. Makes sending messages considerably challenging.

Thanks again mate,

SK
My path to victory, Galaxy 9+: 1. Settings 2. Apps 3. Google (was showing disabled) 4. Enable Google

Tom Sessums

Oct 24, 2021, 9:33:54 PM via Website

I tried all the usual and suggested fixes but all to no avail. Then....

My solution, which is working like a charm? I long tapped the search bar, dragged it to remove it and then replaced it with the Firebox search bar Widget instead. Now I have a search bar at the top of my phone's home screen again, and if click on it I also have a microphone on my keyboard. I can both talk and type entries, or talk and then edit anything wrong before entering and everything else seems to be the same--it still seems to be using Google to search--only technically the search browser is Firefox rather than Chrome, but that's like no big deal on my phone, right? I just needed a search bar widget that gives me a microphone on the keyboard and now I have it and it is still Google search and all that.

This solution only takes seconds: Click and hold on the Google search bar until you see the "x remove" appear and then drag that search bar there to remove it. Next, touch and hold any clear area on your home screen until the selection menu appears, go to > widgets and just find the Firefox search bar widget that looks pretty much exactly like the Chrome search bar widget you just removed. Select it and then drag to place it on your home screen or wherever you want it, like maybe right where your previous search bar was just moments ago. It looks exactly the same and all will pretty much be the same, except you will have a microphone on your keyboard again. It doesn't matter if it's a "Firefox" search bar widget or that the results window is technically in a Firefox browser rather than Chrome browser, because once I enter something it still searches using Google and still gives me results to select from.

Mark N

Apr 23, 2022, 8:23:24 PM via Website

If your microphone suddenly disappeared after working fine on your Pixel 3 or 3a before the latest Android 12 update: Go to Settings, Apps, display all apps. Scroll down to G-Board, click open, select voice typing then de-select faster voice typing. Should be ok now. Hope this helps...it worked for me!

Nicole P

Jun 19, 2022, 9:38:47 PM via Website

Omg @Mac Mac ....thank you! Turning on "show suggestions" worked for me when the primary trouble shooting advice didn't! I always complained about voice to text not being accurate but boy did I miss it when that mic disappeared 😳

— modified on Jun 19, 2022, 9:39:45 PM

Zenowia Wendel

Jul 3, 2022, 10:09:23 PM via Website

OMG, thank you so much, I had been trying to fix this for hours and this finally worked!

Ronald Jones

Aug 22, 2022, 6:08:19 PM via Website

This worked when all the others did'nt..thank you