Samsung Galaxy Note 4 — Terrible Battery life

• Replies:7
Daniel Westerdale
  • Forum posts: 9

Mar 16, 2015, 11:23:04 AM via Website

Hi

I am generally really pleased with the Note 4 which has yet to receive the Lollipop update. The main issue I have is the really bad battery life even with PowerSave mode enabled:'(

I am evaluating the Outlook beta app and the standard email app for Exchange email (thinking of removing the latter). I am also comparing inbox v mailbox for my Gmail mail, so the duplicate push notifications may be a factor. is there a decent review on these apps I wonder?

However, I wonder if anyone also has a similar issue and what they might have done to fix it.

Daniel

Christiana B.
  • Forum posts: 13

Mar 18, 2015, 2:29:19 PM via Website

Hi

I have the Lollipop 5.0.1 update on mine, I use it a lot, have loads of apps so the battery life is destined to deteriorate quicker than most...

I downloaded an alternate launcher, "CM Launcher - Boost&Wallpaper" by Cheetah Mobile and I must say I have noticed a difference, even if it was slight...

My Battery was fully charged in the morning and in the evening I forgot to connect it for the night and the next morning I still had about 35% battery! That was a first for me... I usually have to charge mornings and late afternoons.

Hope I was able to help just a teensy little...:D

Daniel Westerdale

Mar 18, 2015, 3:16:12 PM via Website

Christiana B

Very interesting reply. Yes I am too a heavy user which means I am charging both in the morning and evening. I am afraid I have fallen in love(!) with the Nova Prime Launcher as this provides great home screens so FB, Google+ and Pocket informant widgets plus a taskbar without the tediousness of TouchWiz. It even removed Flipboard ( who uses this on a Note????)

I do wonder if Lollipop isn't the real game changer her with regards to Battery Life. I am in the UK so still awaiting the official Note 4 upgrade - I am not so keen on the developer ROMS I know are floating about out there.

So you have helped a teensy little (cool)

Daniel

Christiana B.
  • Forum posts: 13

Mar 18, 2015, 3:43:21 PM via Website

Daniel,

I am also a non-believer of dev-ROMS. I have to warn you that the official update brings bugs with it! With me it is the continuous crashing of my contacts and every now and then my play store.

I have already cleared the phone cache, then did a hard reset... to no avail. It just lessenend the crashes some. So I am hoping with the next update these bugs will be fixed.

The update file is also really large, almost a gig. The positive side, some bloatware has disappeared. (laughing)

Strange that the update hasn't arrived in the UK yet... usually you get them before we do here in Germany!

Daniel Westerdale

Mar 18, 2015, 5:41:45 PM via Website

Christiana B

Yes I heard 5.01 is a bit buggy. a hard reset does sound extreme. I will use Kies t to backup / restore when I upgrade.

I think the Lollipop upgrade schedule maybe tied to the mobile operators to ensure there are not major disasters. I am on O2 but I imagine EE who are bigger might be further up the queue. I will try and dig to see if there is a date via O2. 1 Gig is going to need some time to run.

Daniel

Scott Shrewsberry
  • Forum posts: 7

Mar 30, 2015, 5:40:22 PM via Website

Daniel Westerdale

Hi

I am generally really pleased with the Note 4 which has yet to receive the Lollipop update. The main issue I have is the really bad battery life even with PowerSave mode enabled:'(

I am evaluating the Outlook beta app and the standard email app for Exchange email (thinking of removing the latter). I am also comparing inbox v mailbox for my Gmail mail, so the duplicate push notifications may be a factor. is there a decent review on these apps I wonder?

However, I wonder if anyone also has a similar issue and what they might have done to fix it.

Daniel

Mr. Westerdale,

I received the Lollipop 5.0.1 update on my Note 4 last week and, so far, everything seems to be running just fine. I also run the Nova Prime Launcher. After the update I didn't do a factory reset. All I did was wipe the system cache and reboot. The battery life may be slightly worse, but it's not so bad that it really makes a difference for me. I'm usually around a charger anyway, so..... After I received the update I ran my Note all day with moderate use (which is normal for me) until I went to bed and I still had about 12% life left. Granted I don't run the Facebook app, which I understand really drains battery. I'm really enjoying my experience so far and I hope you get your update soon. I think the material design looks great and it really does help "tone down" TouchWiz somewhat.

Scott

Daniel Westerdale

Mar 30, 2015, 9:26:09 PM via Website

Scott Shrewsberry

Daniel Westerdale

Hi

Daniel

Mr. Westerdale,

I received the Lollipop 5.0.1 update on my Note 4 last week and, so far, everything seems to be running just fine. I also run the Nova Prime Launcher. After the update I didn't do a factory reset. All I did was wipe the system cache and reboot. The battery life may be slightly worse, but it's not so bad that it really makes a difference for me. I'm usually around a charger anyway, so..... After I received the update I ran my Note all day with moderate use (which is normal for me) until I went to bed and I still had about 12% life left. Granted I don't run the Facebook app, which I understand really drains battery. I'm really enjoying my experience so far and I hope you get your update soon. I think the material design looks great and it really does help "tone down" TouchWiz somewhat.

Scott

Hi Scott

Thanks for the update. To be honest I was hoping you would report "dramatic improvement" in battery life. Oh well. I do run the FaceBook widget. I am running a 4 mail clients at the moment as I am try see which 2 I will drop.

Daniel

Scott Shrewsberry

Scott Shrewsberry
  • Forum posts: 7

Mar 30, 2015, 9:56:02 PM via Website

I've read where a few people actually experienced better battery life and performance after their update. Maybe your update will produce those results. Good luck and keep us posted on how it works out for you. (cool)

Daniel Westerdale