Samsung Galaxy S4 — Wifi doesn't turn on

• Replies:13
Jennifer Marrero
  • Forum posts: 15

Mar 29, 2015, 1:40:23 AM via Website

Hi,

I just installed the latest stock firmware for my GS4 since i got tired of the jailbroken S5 ROM i had... It was crashing constantly.

Now its back to factory, and now I have no Wifi. It won't turn on. and the phone security tells me it has blocked an action that is not permitted and no
further action is required... Why is the phone blocking itself from turning the Wifi on, as it was a malicious action?

Tried package disabler, doesn't work.

Please help with all the suggestions you guys can provide, and thanks from your help, in advance.

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Mar 29, 2015, 12:45:01 PM via Website

It's probably due to a file that your phone saves wifi info on, it's in root/data/misc/wifi, and it's called wpa_supplicant.conf., the previous rom may have written over it with data which is not usable by your current rom. You can just erase the file; the system will create a new one, although it means you'll lose all your known wifi passwords.

Sinkster

Jennifer Marrero

Mar 29, 2015, 3:44:56 PM via App

Is this file in there, whether the phone is rooted or not? Mine's not rooted anymore.

sinkster

Mar 29, 2015, 4:11:55 PM via Website

I meant root as in the root of the file system. There are several 'data/misc' folders, but this is in the main directory. It would be easy to delete/alter if you were rooted, obviously, but you might still be able to use adb to do it using 'pull' (adb is the Android Debug Bridge which enables your PC/Laptop to connect to the Android O/S). If you have adb set up then that's fine, if not there's an easy installer on this XDA thread.

Sinkster

Jennifer Marrero

Mar 29, 2015, 5:27:56 PM via Website

Is there a way I can do this without ADB? I downloaded file manager on the GS4 and found the root folder but it says it's "empty", probably meaning I have no access to its true content since I'm not rooted.

So, is there a way to root, delete the file, then unroot, and be back to stock?

sinkster

Mar 29, 2015, 6:11:19 PM via Website

Not sure as I'm not a Samsung user, but apparently you can. I can't be 100% sure that the file is what is causing the issue but in the majority of cases it is. Does wifi work after pulling your battery? It seems to be a temporary cure in some cases.

Sinkster

Jennifer Marrero

Mar 29, 2015, 6:40:23 PM via App

I removed the battery but didn't work

sinkster

Mar 29, 2015, 6:54:23 PM via Website

OK, just in case you hadn't tried that yet.

Sinkster

Jennifer Marrero

Mar 29, 2015, 7:00:59 PM via App

Ok

Jennifer Marrero

Mar 29, 2015, 7:09:46 PM via App

Thanks for the reply and helping me out

Ossama Sabaibi
  • Forum posts: 1

Jun 28, 2016, 12:15:24 PM via Website

Hii There ... I HAve The Same Problem I Tried Using that method .. putting this on the dialer : *#0011# And Disactiving power save mode but it's just worked for few days after i did a factory reset a wipe data a wipe cache but nothing .. if i pull out the battery for some hours its will work for 2 to 3 min ... please help this problem is making me mad ... my phone is rooted anyway !! i just deleted those files u told her to delete and it's didnt work

Morgan Hunter

Aug 26, 2016, 7:55:54 AM via Website

Back up your Galaxy S4 then do a factory reset. When it reboots select your language. When it asks you to log in to an account like Samsung or google DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT login or setup these accounts, just simply tap next or skip. Then when it asks you to connect wifi, do a scan for your wifi then enter your access code for the wifi. Once connected go next and continue to the end. Then restore your files and check your wifi which should be now working. :) enjoy!!!!

Brandon McMenamin

Dec 28, 2016, 7:35:19 PM via Website

Hi Everyone. I think I found out a method that works but you have to try it a few times... if you turn airplane mode on then pull the battery wait 5 seconds then hold the power button for a minute without the battery in the phone, after a minute put the battery back in and it should work

XDboy YT BG

Nov 29, 2020, 3:13:42 PM via Website

Tried everything i can find, even the solutions people here posted, nothing worked. Re-flashing the firmware worked fine for me. So, it seems that the only non-root method working is a firmware re-flash.