Samsung Galaxy S4 — sd card

• Replies:9
Stuart K.
  • Forum posts: 9

Apr 25, 2015, 4:19:53 PM via Website

I recently bought a 32gb class 10 micro sd card for my s4. I have no space left on my phone so i set my phone default to save to sd card instead of device. Ive downloaded games since and they still install on device not card. When i download a 300mb game it downloads to device and even when i go into settings and move to sd it only moves a small percent like 40mb of the 300 i downloaded to sd. Can anyone give me a solution or help with this.

Bob Balser
  • Forum posts: 5

Apr 26, 2015, 1:23:12 PM via Website

Are you sure the card is genuine?
I now have a 128GB card installed on my s4 with 18500 mp3 on it so far. Also have a usb micro card reader which could double capacity

Stuart K.

Apr 27, 2015, 1:24:22 PM via Website

Yes its sandisk. It does download but only some of what i download goes onto micro sd and majority goes onto phone.

Bob Balser

Apr 27, 2015, 1:28:57 PM via Website

I'm using Sandisk as well,I copied from original 64GB Sandisk to the 128 via my laptop,no problems,I don't see how some of your files go to the phone,can you move them from phone to card perhaps?

charles d.
  • Forum posts: 33

Apr 28, 2015, 8:48:27 AM via Website

Please go to setting and set the path for downloading in to my SD card, Now you did not set the correct path, By default its taking phone memory..

Bob Balser

Apr 28, 2015, 11:53:42 AM via Website

He says it starts to download to card then changes to download to phone

Stuart K.

Apr 28, 2015, 3:11:37 PM via Website

Thanks Bob. I have set it to download to my sd and like I said it puts some of the data on the card and the rest on the phone. Its set to only download to the card. If I was to copy music onto the card theres no problem its only when I download a game or app that it doesn't function. Say the game was 400mb, 50mb would go to sd and the rest to the phone. If I have to have space on my phone to download it was pointless getting an sd card. Any advice welcome. Im well up on my gadgets and no novice when it comes to phones but it should be working the way I have it set but doesn't.

Bob Balser

Apr 28, 2015, 3:24:37 PM via Website

Stuart K.

Thanks Bob. I have set it to download to my sd and like I said it puts some of the data on the card and the rest on the phone. Its set to only download to the card. If I was to copy music onto the card theres no problem its only when I download a game or app that it doesn't function. Say the game was 400mb, 50mb would go to sd and the rest to the phone. If I have to have space on my phone to download it was pointless getting an sd card. Any advice welcome. Im well up on my gadgets and no novice when it comes to phones but it should be working the way I have it set but doesn't.

As I said Stuart I was using a 64GB now a 128GB just for music so cannot think of anything else apart from a fake card which I did have even though it was branded Sandisk

Chooks
  • Forum posts: 11

May 5, 2015, 7:27:11 AM via Website

If you're running 4.4.2 a lot of downloaded apps cannot modify external SD card. You'll have to do it manually. Even if it appears to have deleted a file, you probably can still it using the stock file manager.

Pre-installed apps like the camera are permitted to modify external SD card.

For apps, the bulk of the app may have to remain on phone even though it can be moved to SD card.

Hope this info helps.

Marvin Turchinetz
  • Forum posts: 2

May 13, 2015, 7:00:00 PM via Website

Hi Stewart. I was having issues with space running out on my device memory untill I moved some apps to SD storage. But not all apps have that functionality as you may already know. Then I found an app called "All-in-one" It allows you to move any App to SD storage. Maybe it will solve your problem. Check it out on the Playstore. I hope it does the trick for you.