Samsung Galaxy Note 3 — Lollipop is a Disaster

• Replies:11
Carolyn Acosta
  • Forum posts: 1

May 27, 2015, 4:05:48 AM via Website

Trusting Google and Android, I downloaded the Lollipop update. What a disaster. I called Samsung and Verizon. I was informed that Adroid launched one of the biggest updates ever. They were both well aware of the issues. I cannot leave my mobile data on because it eats away as this update never stops. I was told it could be 2 months before Adroid comes up with a patch. The battery dies before the day is done. Last night I charged my phone. I had forgotten to turn off "Wifi", which I never had to do before. I leave for work and my battery is at 12%. If I forget to turn off my mobile data, my data is eaten away and I don't have enough data to get me even half way through my billing cycle. I have a 3 gig plan for which I normally don't even put a dent in. Now, I am paying for your disaster. I was told that I could do a factory reset to make "lollipop" go away, otherwise I cannot stop it. I don't know if this is true. What an inconvenience to "factory reset" and have to set up my phone all over again. I am so annoyed!. I have a family share plan through Verizon. We have 4 android phones. I am ready to throw in the towel and get phones that are NOT ANDROID. When is this problem going to be "patched". Come on Android. You are upsetting a lot of people. Get your act together! I am sharing these issues with a lot of people that have android. They didn't realize it was your fault. Everyone feels the same, do away with Android phones. We are running out of patience. I will continue to spread the word. I have a Galaxy Note 3, which I used to love. I am now a hater. I am on the Android web site and don't even find "customer service" to contact Android directly.

— modified on May 27, 2015, 4:07:58 AM

Rusty

Keith Carr
  • Forum posts: 2

May 27, 2015, 1:27:33 PM via Website

Agree 100%. I loved my Note 4 until they ruined it with the lollipop update. AND since it was a verizon phone serial number I could not root it. The verizon guy told me I could not revert it back to KitKat for the same reason. SO I traded it back in for an iphone 6+ much as I did not want to do that but I need a functional phone.

These idiots pushing these crappy updates had better start paying attention to customer feedback. These phones and the service (sic) plans from the carriers are not cheap and they need to work as advertised. Now I know I need to get an unlocked phone on Amazon when I get another android and root it immediately and put it on KitKat and never ever update the damned thing after that. So bummed. :0(

Sedrick Harris

May 27, 2015, 2:47:36 PM via Website

I upgraded my Note 4 (Verizon) the first day Lollipop was available and have had ZERO problems. The battery typically lasts 3 to 4 days of moderate use. Sorry to hear about other people's problems with Lollipop.

Chad_Higgins

bill m

May 28, 2015, 3:29:07 AM via Website

I agree my LG G3 had exceptional battery life with kitkat now it is mediocre. I also loved my phone before the update, now I hate it. I did a factory reset - waste of time. I called Verizon support 4 weeks ago and I was told that LG was releasing a fix within 2 weeks. I knew they were lying. Over the years I have heard many promises from Verizon that were lies. Verizon will make up anything when they can't solve your problem.

— modified on May 28, 2015, 3:31:26 AM

Judi Barr

May 28, 2015, 6:04:44 AM via Website

I got a call back from Samsung Loyalty Desk today (which I missed) and he said to call back at 888-987-4357. The call came from855-312-5331/ Hope this helps

Magnamentis

May 30, 2015, 2:07:44 AM via Website

rarely seen such an unqualified post really. it's not googles fault if anyones but samsung's and it's not lollipop that may have issues but it's touchwiz implementation and not that is probably true since i have never heard of such extreme issues.

however lollipop came with a few improvements and with a few things i'm missing like true silent mode but over all it's a step forward and if you're unhappy with samsung's way of delivering it then go and flash a nice custom rom, they're available in numbers and i'm very happy with mine and especially battery life of 0.2-0.4% drain per hour in idle mode is absolutely great since i now can achieve this without xposed modules like amplify and greenify experimental tools, while i still use tasker and greenify standard to get a bit more life out of my battery.

Les scott
  • Forum posts: 4

May 30, 2015, 10:22:59 PM via App

Hi I downloaded Android5 a couple of days ago like quite a few other people have lost scrapbook off it as I have a note3 too. Darn nuisance,no one else has got 5 around me.

Davy Robson

May 31, 2015, 6:16:16 PM via Website

Although lollipop has its issues such as increased memory usage, lagging, Wi-Fi and the dreaded battery drain its worth noting the new platform is most likely the way forward so the advice is to hang out until the process has been dragged through the development and problem stages before you install.

You can always revert back to your stock firmware if need be but remember to make sure the auto update is checked before you connect after reverting.

sinkster
  • Forum posts: 610

Jun 1, 2015, 7:47:01 AM via App

Moved to appropriate part of the forum. The Galaxy Note 3 is not a Google device 😉

Sinkster

James Watson
  • Forum posts: 1,584

Jun 3, 2015, 2:56:54 AM via Website

Can we downgrade from Lollipop to Ver. 4.4.3 or 4.4.2?

Download size < 0.15 MB. But also accurate enough, ad-free & free.
The minimalist app available on Play Store: https://goo.gl/ws42fN
Blog: https://okblackcafe.blogspot.com Your 5-star is appreciated.

James Watson
  • Forum posts: 1,584

Jul 4, 2015, 4:43:24 AM via Website

I updated my note 3 from 4.4.2 to Lollipop OTA last week. Till now, it just works well.

Download size < 0.15 MB. But also accurate enough, ad-free & free.
The minimalist app available on Play Store: https://goo.gl/ws42fN
Blog: https://okblackcafe.blogspot.com Your 5-star is appreciated.

Katherine Lowe

Jul 13, 2015, 3:12:17 PM via Website

Okay where do I start.
The reason you need to do a factory reset is due to incompatible system files that are not meshing well with the new update. Whenever I flash a new rom the first thing I do is wipe the cache partitions and factory reset for this very reason, it can make a hell of a difference.
A clean lollipop should fix nearly everything you've just mentioned.

If however you don't want the update then go onto the Samsung firmware site and downgrade the system using a application called odin (you'll have to google it because new users cannot post links)
I also recommend watching ba few youtube guides.
It takes about 5 min to do. However to be be honest I would just backup everything and try a factory reset because whether or not you like it lollipop is going to be the future for app developers so its best to try and fix the issues before moving backwards.

Hope that gives you a few more options anyways xx