X

Sign in

Sign in to confirm

Have you forgotten your password?

... or login with Facebook:

Don't have an AndroidPIT account yet? Sign up

8GB Nexus 4 To Sell For $399 On Google Play? No Thanks Google/LG

Eric McBride
12

 

ByteNow has apparently been in contact with an anonymous tipster who filled in a few more gaps on the mysterious LG Nexus 4. According to the tipster, the device will only have 8GB of non expandable memory, GSM only (no LTE for now), and will be sold for $399 on the Google Play Store starting October 29th. If this information turns out to be accurate, this could very well be the first Nexus device that I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in purchasing.

8GB of NON expandable memory?

What’s the point of having that powerful hardware if you have no memory to store applications/games or media that can make use of it? I mean, a 1.5Ghz Snapdragon S4 quad core processor, 2GB RAM, and a 4.7 inch display screams “play games and digital media on me!”, which is why I simply can’t understand the logic behind keeping it at 8GB. Many continue to speculate that many only the prototypes will have 8GB, but all prototypes seen so far have only been 8GB units.

If the logic behind keeping it 8GB was to keep the price down, it’s not only flawed, but downright stupid. While $399 is a good price for a phone, it’s not THAT cheap, especially considering it’s storage capability and the fact that it won’t have LTE. I mean sure, if they would have priced it at $199 or even $250 like the Nexus 7, then MAYBE I would consider it. $400 in my eyes is simply too much for a device with such limited storage. Maybe they thought that people who simply needed a phone for the main purpose of just making phone calls and checking email would be interested? That could be, but then why such powerful hardware? For email checking and web surfing? It just doesn't add up.

He also dropped some hints in regards to the name of the phone, and said that it has a 60% chance at being named the “Nexus 4″, and a 40% chance at being called the “LG Optimus Nexus.” Interestingly enough, he also mentioned that Verizon won’t be carrying the device due to the OTA issues they had with the Galaxy Nexus last year.

The tipster refused to confirm or deny whether yesterday’s leaked device is in fact the LG Nexus 4, but did comment on "how beautiful" the 4.7 inch display is. All of this information could naturally be one big fib, so you might want to take it with a grain of salt. Good news is, October 29th is only weeks away, so we won’t have to wait long to separate fact from fiction.

I’m not sure why, but considering everything we've learned so far, I have a sick feeling in my stomach that an 8GB model (only) of this phone might actually show up on the Play Store in a few weeks for $399.

I sincerely hope that I’m wrong.

Picture credits: Onliner and feedio.net (edited by myself)

Related Topics

Related Articles

Magazine / Hardware
0 2 days ago

LG G Watch R: LG's new round smartwatch

Magazine / Hardware
6 updated 1 day ago

IFA 2014: all the Android phones, tablets, news and rumors [updated]

Magazine / Hardware
2 updated 2 days ago

LG G Watch R release date, news, specs and rumors [updated]

Comments

Write new comment:
  • Baron Tankhe Oct 12, 2012 Link

    ;-) Your solution will be presented Oktober 16th ..... https://secure-event.asus.com/2012/padfone2/index.aspx

    0
    0
  • Eric McBride Oct 12, 2012 Link

    @Baron - Haha! Possibly! But I think I have my solution already...my Note 2 is on its way to me! :-D

    0
    0
  • Joel Fabiani Oct 12, 2012 Link

    Big FAIL!! Bye Galaxy Nexus, hello LG Optimus G with 32GB.

    0
    0
  • Stefan E. Oct 12, 2012 Link

    It might become a solution, Baron - but only if Asus doesn't axe it early on this time. Three things are absolutely neccessary:

    - Support for seperate launchers / keyboards in tablet and phone mode
    - A method to unlock the bootloader
    - (most important) DO NOT ANNOUNCE THE SUCCESSOR BEFORE THE RELEASE!

    0
    0
  • Eric McBride Oct 12, 2012 Link

    @Stefan - HAHAHAHAHAHHA! I love how passionate Stefan is about this issue :)

    But I complete agree with your points here man. If they nail those 3 issues, pack it in a nice design, and keep the price point somewhat realistic, they could have a very nice chance for it to work better this time around.

    0
    0
  • Mag J Oct 12, 2012 Link

    @Eric: Google is selling Nexus 7 (without radio connection but a bigger screen) for 199$ with all the specs you've mentioned. There is not even a single chance of selling the above device at 399$ even if they are going to name it as iPhone with Apple logo it is going to be a flop. Some Hoaxer is going to have the biggest laugh at the end of the launch :)

    0
    0
  • Gio A. Oct 12, 2012 Link

    8Gb and no expendabel memory. WTF. we al know that the amount of memory you could realy use is like 4Gb and like even 16 Gb with expandebal memory stil isn't enough for now a days.If they're going to market this to the first time android users that don't know any better this phone wil only end up hurting android and the google nexus brand.

    0
    0
  • Ronald Oden Oct 12, 2012 Link

    Is this a joke?!?!? MicroSD cards give you more momory and storage than that on the old PRE Andriod and Iphones.

    0
    0
  • Peter L. Oct 12, 2012 Link

    PMFJI but Patrick Stewart is an avid iPhone user. ;-)

    0
    0
  • User picture
    Mod
    DaBartonator Oct 13, 2012 Link

    The nexus 4 should have at least 8 times what it has at least!

    0
    0
  • Patrick R. Oct 13, 2012 Link

    I'd really like to see the nexus take off as a mainstream device but this won't cut it. Well it may become popular with the casual and uninformed user, but that segment of the market is rapidly shrinking.

    0
    0
  • Patrick R. Oct 15, 2012 Link

    BTW we should consider ourselves lucky with 8GB... the 4 in the Nexus 4 could have been referring to memory LOL

    0
    0