Features & Use
Like I said, Pobs is a logic and mind game similar to Checkers or Reversi. Pobs is divided into multiple levels each one with a different playing field consisting of small pentagons.
At the beginning of the game each player has a couple colored pebbles. Every time your turn comes around, you can choose to either jump with your pebble or move it to a free adjacent cell. Moving over to a neighboring cell automatically creates an additional pebble for you.
Should your opponent's pebbles come in contact with your pebbles they instantly change colors and become yours!
The aim of the game is to cover as much of the playing field with your pebbles as possible. The game is over as soon as there are no more free cells or no further moves can be made.
There are six different game modes:
- Quick Game: Play a random level against one or two opponents.
- Classic: Conquer as many cells as possible.
- Time Attack: This mode allows you only 5 minutes for every move. If the time runs out, a random move is made for you.
- Score Limit: In order to win you need to occupy a specific amount of cells.
- Random Game (Bonus): Completely random! Just give it a try.
- Classic for Two Players: Here you can play versus another person. The CPU is off and you can just hand your phone over to your second player whenever they make a move.
I genuinely enjoyed Pobs because it's a game that requires real brain power. This game is anything but trivial and is quite simply loads of fun.
I think it's a real shame that although each level is different, the game tactic doesn't really change much. Having only played the game on "easy", it didn't take me long to figure out the computer's next move.
All in all it's a very good game that clearly deserves four stars.
Screen & Controls
You only need the screen to play this game. The graphics are basic, but good.
To make a move, click on the pebble you would like move. The game then shows you all your possible moves. Everything outlined in yellow are cells which you can jump on and everything outlined in green are neighboring cells you can move to in order to duplicate your pebble.
Via the menu button you can access the most important settings.
Pobs is an all-around great game with slick graphics and a really smart gaming idea.
But I wouldn't go so far as to say that this game is addictive. Nevertheless, this came will definately keep you happy for the short-term.
Speed & Stability
The game's speed isn't always optimal...Pobs did tend to lag from time to time.
You can download Pobs for free from the Market. So much fun for free is simply AWESOME!