All my friends, my mom, my teachers and even the old man next door are using WhatsApp. Somehow the messenger exploded over night and crawled into the hearts and smartphones of people all over the world who were looking for a better solution than emailing, sending SMS and Facebook Messenger. In our globalized world where half of my friends and family live across the ocean, I don't want to pay a bunch of money to keep in touch. However, some WhatsApp setup and operational elements aren't that apparent, especially for those new to the scene. Here are some tips and tricks for your WhatsApp account, as well as a video to show you how, step-by-step.
Blocking and unblocking contacts
- First, if you just broke up with someone, here is how to block a contact:
- Open WhatsApp and go to your Chats screen.
- Tap the Menu Button > Settings > Contacts > Blocked Contacts.
- This page displays all contacts that you have blocked.
- Tap the Add blocked contacts icon in the top right.
To unblock a contact (if you get back together), you simply long-press the contact in the Blocked Contacts screen and select ‘Unblock’.
In the case of blocking an unknown contact, just open the chat conversation, scroll to the top, then tap ‘Block’ and that should do the trick.
There are three possible ways to go about doing this, depending on what you want to do.
First, how to delete one or more messages from a conversation:
- Launch WhatsApp, go to the Chat window with the message you would like to delete.
- Tap and hold message.
- You can tap on more messages to select more than one to message to delete.
- Choose 'Delete'' from the menu.
You can also delete individual or group chats, by:
- Going to the the main Chats screen and long press on the chat you would like to delete.
- Then select ''Delete Chat'' or 'Delete and Exit Group'' from the menu.
Or, if you want to wipe the slate clean and clear your ENTIRE chat history:
- Go to WhatsApp –> Settings –> Chat Settings.
- Scroll to the bottom and tap ''Delete all conversations'' or Clear all conversations''.
- ''Delete all conversations'' will delete all your convos and the messages inside of them.
- ''Clear...'' will delete all messages and leave the conversations in the Chats list.
Deleting WhatsApp contacts
The contacts that you have in WhatsApp are directly loaded from the contacts in your phone’s address book or contact list. Therefore, there is no way to directly delete them from within WhatsApp. So obviously, to delete a contact from the WhatsApp contact list, you will need to delete the contact from your phone's address book first (or, if you don’t want to delete them from your phone entirely, just block them as a contact in WhatsApp).
So what to do? In order to find the WhatsApp contact in your phone's address book, you just need to:
- Find the contact in the select contact page.
- Tap on the contact.
- Then tap on the name at the top.
- On the Contact Info page, open up the Menu button and choose ‘View in address book’.
- Here, you have the option to delete the contact from your address book/contacts.
- Finally, refresh your WhatsApp contact list by opening WhatsApp, tapping on your Menu button > Refresh.
If you still see the contact, it is likely that you are seeing the conversation on your ''Chats'' screen. Simply tap and hold on the contact and then select ''Delete chat'' to delete a chat.
Did you find any of these helpful? Stay tuned for the next part of our WhatsApp for Beginners coming up soon.