A few months back, we happily unveiled the first of our WhatsApp for beginners, which many seemed to appreciate. Though WhatsApp is no spring chicken and there is an overwhelming abundance of messenger apps out that have taken over the Android ecosystem, many just love this one with its happy looking telephone logo, quirky free stickers, photo, voice message and video sharing functions and more. Last time we covered deleting messages and contacts as well as blocking and unblocking contacts. Here are some more tips and tricks for you if you’ve found yourself going around in WhatsApp circles.
Messages won't send
Most of the time this problem will depend on your 3G connection or the network connection that WhatsApp is trying to use. If you aren't able to send a message, here are a few tips:
- The simplest solution: turn on your phone and make sure you’re not typing on a calculator by mistake.
- You might need to install the latest version of the app from Google Play because the one you have is outdated.
- Check your internet connection, Wi-Fi or 3G (under Settings, then Wireless and Network).
- Make sure that a ''Task Killer'' hasn't been activated (a third-party application that will help save energy by shutting down applications ).
- Empty the cache (do this by going to Settings > Applications > WhatsApp).
- Erase the files (same path as described above).
- Finally, the most extreme solution: uninstall the application (same path) and reinstall it.
How to change your WhatsApp background
- Hit Menu, then choose Settings and then Chat Settings.
- Once there, select Wallpaper.
- You can download the free WhatsApp Wallpaper package for an array of nice looking backgrounds.
Here is an extra power saving tip: changing your wallpaper to black could help save battery life. This will only be done for the chat window background, not the entire app user interface.
How to get back messages if you accidentally delete them
Luckily for all those who didn't think of saving their messages, WhatsApp automatically performs backups everyday at 4PM and stores them on the SD card of your Android phone. To get these back, take the following steps:
- Uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp.
- Click restore when prompted to restore your messages history.
- Your missing Chats should appear in WhatsApp.
To restore from a backup, it’s also equally simple:
- Uninstall WhatsApp.
- Decide which backup file you would like to restore.
- Rename the file from 'msgstore-YYY-MM-DD.db.crypt'' to ''msgstore.db.crypt''.
- Install WhatsApp Messenger.
- When asked to restore, tap restore, duh!
Gettings your contacts to show on WhatsApp
Sometimes these won’t appear automatically, which can be quite annoying and confusing, but the solution is simple. So that you can see all your contacts who are using WhatsApp:
- First, click on your Menu button and select Settings.
- Then chose Contacts and activate ‘Show all contacts’ by tapping on it and voila!
Of course, there are so many other little tips and tricks that one could cover, but doing so would have you reading all day long! These are just a few of the most common things that people might want to know.
Let us know if you have any questions and if you found the videos to be of any help!