Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc — Wi-Fi Connection Problems

• Replies:17
Toby Crittendon
  • Forum posts: 22

Jul 13, 2011, 4:40:24 PM via Website

I have had an Xperia Arc for a while now, but I've been having this problem the whole time.

Firstly, I connect via Wi-Fi and it remains connected but seems to disconnect after some data transfer. The problem seems to occur though when there's a lot of data being sent. I can recreate this whenever I watch streaming video.

What's weird is that the phone keeps the WiFi icon visible even though there's no connection. The only solution seems to be turn off WiFi and connect exclusively to 3G. Leaving WiFi also drains a lot of battery.

Is it just me (a hardware issue) or is anyone else having problems? I really don't think it's down to the router you're connecting to, this is the phone. I have many devices I regularly connect at home and work and they all work fine.

Yan Matusevich
  • Forum posts: 305

Jul 13, 2011, 4:52:49 PM via Website

Toby,

This appears to be a reoccurring issue with the Arc. Some people argue that it's something wrong with the device itself, others tend to believe that the router is the problem.

Try this out to definitively find out if it's the phone or modem:

1) Open your router in your browser on the computer
2) Go to DHCP Connections (or something along those lines)
3) Delete the your Arc from the list of devices connected to the network
4) Create a new manual connection
5) Insert your Arc's ip and mac addresses (look in your phone's advanced settings under Wireless)
6)Save the whole thing and try it again.

If this work around solves the issue, you'll know that it's a modem problem. Unfortunately, it could something wrong with the device itself. Let me know how it goes.

Kevin
  • Forum posts: 3

Aug 1, 2011, 3:26:18 PM via Website

used
FXR WiFi fix and rescue

and all my problems with constantly reconnect wifi gone
wifi has become stable and does not terminate when started download
SE Xperia Arc 2.3.3

it is a personal experience
and before any program for fixing wifi did not help

Dave
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 6, 2011, 3:05:53 PM via Website

Hi, how do I get my Arc's IP address, I can get the mac address no problem. thanks:D

Kevin
  • Forum posts: 3

Aug 6, 2011, 3:53:41 PM via Website

Dave
Hi, how do I get my Arc's IP address, I can get the mac address no problem. thanks:D

if you asked about Static IP
Settings - Wireless control - Wi-Fi on & Wi-Fi settings - use Menu buton - and type Static IP, GW, Mask, DNS

Anton Søgaard Poulsen
  • Forum posts: 4

Jan 16, 2012, 12:59:46 PM via Website

Hi

I have bought the XPERIA Arc S without having read all this about the WIFI-problems :(

I like the phone, but it's impossible for me to go onto the WIFI in the apartment. However it works at my parents house, so I guess it's the combination of a Linksys router and the arc s. Yesterday I tried to follow your advice about deleting the device in the DCHP Connections (it took me a while to find it), and then it worked fine... But today after the WIFI has been turned off once, it doesn't work at all and the same procedure as yesterday doesn't work. But I don't know how to create a manual connection which might be the problem. I can't find that button anywhere...
I have also installed all the apps you recommend without any luck... Another bad thing is that the arc is shutting down the internet for all connected computers...

//Anton

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

Feb 13, 2012, 2:15:45 PM via Website

Cool job on the walkthrough! Thanks for posting :)

Anton Søgaard Poulsen

Feb 14, 2012, 12:13:23 AM via Website

Thanks, but after spending several hours on the router problem, I'm getting a bit frustrated about the problem. I made all the things on your list except for the 20 Hz as the width (but the Linksys 2.4 GHz should have that a a normal setting). I can make it work on the phone (with the static IP app installed, but after turning the connection off once, the problem is back :(
Don't know what to do..

Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Feb 14, 2012, 10:10:24 AM via Website

Hi Anton,

Have you had this issue with the phone the whole time you've owned it or just recently?

Anton Søgaard Poulsen

Feb 14, 2012, 10:28:28 AM via Website

I have got the problem all the time I had this phone (1 month). But it is only in our apartment. It works everywhere else... I live beside hundreds of other wireless connections, but I don't think that is the problem.. Fortunately I live in a city with acceptable mobile network but still not as good as the 20 Mbit...

Eric McBride

Feb 14, 2012, 5:45:03 PM via Website

Hmm..thats weird that its only in your apartment. Do you have a static IP setup for your internet connection on your phone?

Anton Søgaard Poulsen

Feb 15, 2012, 1:11:37 PM via Website

I have tried to use it as static IP and without. Unfortunately the phone has an effect on making the wireless network unstable leading to that the router doesn't work for all the computers... Hmmm.. I'm not used to write IP addresses, but don't understand why your guidance doesn't work...
I have installed a lot of wifi-apps that might cause problems than help...

Christopher Silva
  • Forum posts: 189

Feb 15, 2012, 2:16:14 PM via Website

Anton Søgaard Poulsen
Hi

I have bought the XPERIA Arc S without having read all this about the WIFI-problems :(

I like the phone, but it's impossible for me to go onto the WIFI in the apartment. However it works at my parents house, so I guess it's the combination of a Linksys router and the arc s. Yesterday I tried to follow your advice about deleting the device in the DCHP Connections (it took me a while to find it), and then it worked fine... But today after the WIFI has been turned off once, it doesn't work at all and the same procedure as yesterday doesn't work. But I don't know how to create a manual connection which might be the problem. I can't find that button anywhere...
I have also installed all the apps you recommend without any luck... Another bad thing is that the arc is shutting down the internet for all connected computers...

//Anton

Hi Anton, make sure that you router is set to accepts new devices... Look under settings often when one is setting up security like WEP one checks the box, "do not allow new devices".

I hope this helps. Good luck

Andy Fox

Mar 13, 2012, 7:47:01 PM via Website

Hi
I have just got the xperia arc s and found I had same problems as others in not being able to connect to WIFI and dropping connection every few seconds.
My router Linksys wrt54gs (blue one). Solution. Downloaded latest firmware upgrade (v7.50.8 build 001 oct 5 2009), which is a phone update, from Lynksis site. Update through http://192.168.1.1/ router web page. Restarted router and PC and now all works spot on, perfect. Very happy.

Eric McBride

Mar 14, 2012, 11:10:51 PM via Website

Andy Fox
Hi
I have just got the xperia arc s and found I had same problems as others in not being able to connect to WIFI and dropping connection every few seconds.
My router Linksys wrt54gs (blue one). Solution. Downloaded latest firmware upgrade (v7.50.8 build 001 oct 5 2009), which is a phone update, from Lynksis site. Update through http://192.168.1.1/ router web page. Restarted router and PC and now all works spot on, perfect. Very happy.

Glad you got it sorted out!

Taxi Driver
  • Forum posts: 2

Sep 3, 2012, 8:15:06 PM via Website

Justin I'Onn
I managed to sort the problem with my router. I can't guarantee the same process will work for anyone else, but it definitely worked for me.

I made a walk-through, here:

My router is a TP-Link TL-WR841N and they're really cheap to buy in the UK.

great job! thanks!!! I'm testing the changes right now :)

— modified on Nov 22, 2013, 10:45:57 AM by moderator

Nep Datu

Sep 14, 2012, 5:59:02 PM via Website

Hi! Im having a big problem with my wifi connection,. somebody help me please.. i entered wrong wifi password with my arc s, and when I entered the correct password it didnt connect anymore... is there any solution? i cant follow your instruction here, because Im just stealing wifi connection from the hotel, hehe. please help.

Taxi Driver
  • Forum posts: 2

Sep 14, 2012, 7:19:19 PM via Website

Nep Datu
Hi! Im having a big problem with my wifi connection,. somebody help me please.. i entered wrong wifi password with my arc s, and when I entered the correct password it didnt connect anymore... is there any solution? i cant follow your instruction here, because Im just stealing wifi connection from the hotel, hehe. please help.

In the back of all routers there is a 'reset button' which will reset your Wifi to it's default settings. I assume of course that you know the default settings of your router!
:bashful:

— modified on Sep 14, 2012, 7:20:03 PM