HTC Sensation — Skype call quality

• Replies:10
Bob Hart
  • Forum posts: 51

Aug 5, 2011, 5:37:01 PM via Website

For some reason, the Skype call quality is just terrible on my Sensation. This makes me so upset because I wanted to use this phone to call USA for cheap (I'm currently abroad) and not be stuck lugging around the old laptop. My WiFi connection is fine and all other apps seem to work well. What is going on??? So frustrating. Anyone out there have a solution or know why this might be happening?

— modified on Sep 12, 2011, 2:19:13 PM by moderator

Yan Matusevich
  • Forum posts: 305

Aug 8, 2011, 9:42:59 AM via Website

I've been hearing this from two people already about how bad Skype is on the HTC Sensation. Although the device seems solid, there's some sort of issue with it.

I'll try to look into it more and get back to you.

— modified on Sep 12, 2011, 2:20:03 PM by moderator

rapar
  • Forum posts: 2

Aug 15, 2011, 12:19:36 AM via Website

Hi, I have similar problem with Skype on HTC Sensation. When i dial a phone number (landline or mobile), it gives a ring sound but i dont think it is ringing on the other side. I downloaded the latest Skype update that supports video calls also. Still the same problem. What could be the reason? WIFI is working fine and i am able to donwload apps from marketplace. Any help or suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks

— modified on Sep 12, 2011, 2:20:54 PM by moderator

Yan Matusevich
  • Forum posts: 305

Aug 15, 2011, 9:53:06 AM via Website

So is this only happening when you're calling via 3G?

Anders Larsson
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 21, 2011, 9:36:31 AM via Website

rapar
Hi, I have similar problem with Skype on HTC Sensation. When i dial a phone number (landline or mobile), it gives a ring sound but i dont think it is ringing on the other side. I downloaded the latest Skype update that supports video calls also. Still the same problem. What could be the reason? WIFI is working fine and i am able to donwload apps from marketplace. Any help or suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks

I have the same problem with my Sensation.
The sound quality is very bad, and it is long delays to transfer the speach (1-2 seconds).
I havet a good WiFi connection with high speed, so this is not the problem.
I tried with my old IPhone 3G at the same place/spot, and it world perfect! The sound is "Crystal clear".

This is, as far I understand, a problem with Skype combined with Sensation.

I reality need this function! Please help anyone...

— modified on Sep 12, 2011, 2:22:05 PM by moderator

Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Aug 22, 2011, 10:35:41 AM via Website

Hey guys,

I was having the exact same problem with Skype on my HTC Sensation. It worked fairly well yesterday, though, and I think that's because I stood really close to the WiFi router.

Mr Bluesky

Aug 23, 2011, 2:18:44 PM via Website

I have what might be the same problem with Skype on the HTC sensation. The symptoms appear when using wifi. Initially the voice sounds reasonably clear, but a fair amount of latency, up to about a second or so. Then, over the course of a five minute call, the latency increases to many seconds, and also the audio stream appears to glitch once every minute or so, with a strange noise, which is probably the buffer length being switched. It makes Skype over wifi on the Sensation completely unusable.

Reading elsewhere, it appears that the Skype app is unable to prevent the wifi connection from going to low power during a call, and this is a bug related to the combination of the Skype app and the particular wifi driver used on the Sensation.

— modified on Sep 12, 2011, 2:23:21 PM by moderator

rapar
  • Forum posts: 2

Aug 24, 2011, 8:53:36 PM via Website

I have not tried with 3G. I dont have 3G service enabled now. I tried with WIFI and encounter this problem. Appreciate your help or suggestion. I am mainly trying to use over WIFI when i am travelling especially as i dont have roaming enabled on my HTC Sensation.

Thanks

— modified on Sep 12, 2011, 2:24:10 PM by moderator

Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Aug 25, 2011, 10:05:10 AM via Website

I have an update: I downloaded the new update for Skype with video calling and it seems to work a lot better than before. There is still a slight delay between when my calling partner says something and when I hear it but there is no echo and the voices sound loud and clear. I'd recommend anyone who's having a problem download the Skype update.

— modified on Sep 12, 2011, 2:24:41 PM by moderator

Georgi Georgiev

Sep 15, 2011, 12:56:52 PM via Website

Same issue, skype calls lag every 10-15 seconds, the other line hear me fine, but their speech is fractured, clear but fractured and I miss 2-3 seconds every 10-15 seconds of the call. This appears no matter that I am using wifi or 3G.
Is this related to the fact that I have put on screens many widgets that requires internet connection ( facebook, finance yahoo, youtube, etc).
After the last update the phone became really slow (closing app takes too much time and the sense screens load too slow) but the issue with skype appears before recent updates so I guess that its not related.

— modified on Sep 15, 2011, 12:57:48 PM

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Sep 15, 2011, 4:09:41 PM via Website

@Georgi Yeah that could be a major part of the issue because Im fairly sure they try to connect while you are still using skype. Try turing them off and disabiling data pushing unless you are prompted if the apps allow it.