Viber

• Replies:88
Alex Irwin
  • Forum posts: 44

Aug 11, 2011, 11:34:01 AM via Website

Has anyone tried this Viber app and been pleased? The reception for me has been really bad. And the fact that so few people are on it is kind of a bummer, too. I don't know...what do you think?

Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Aug 11, 2011, 11:35:47 AM via Website

I was also unimpressed. Sounded too echo-y.

Marvin Cleaver
  • Forum posts: 150

Aug 11, 2011, 11:37:28 AM via Website

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Viber is great. It's like Skype but way, way better or WhatsApp but with calling. No registration, adding people from usernames. Excellent quality over WiFi and 3G. Now there's no need to pay for calls again.

Anette West
  • Forum posts: 106

Aug 11, 2011, 11:39:15 AM via Website

It desperately needs landscape for texting mode. That said, I'm quite pleased with this app and I think it leaves Skype in the dust as far as call quality is concerned.

Tyler Morrisson
  • Forum posts: 36

Aug 11, 2011, 11:40:03 AM via Website

Uses too much battery life. BOO.

Di Tao
  • Forum posts: 55

Aug 11, 2011, 11:40:58 AM via Website

I find it scary that you can't turn it off.

Kim Taylor
  • Forum posts: 10

Aug 13, 2011, 5:58:09 PM via Website

I'm a new Viber adopter, but so far I have no complaints.

Viber
  • Forum posts: 15

Aug 14, 2011, 3:04:43 PM via Website

Hi all,
This is a member of the Viber development team!
I'm here to help you with any info you need about Viber, questions, suggestions, etc.
I'll start with what's already been asked here:

1. The echo'ey sound that some people experience with Viber is due to bad connection on either side of the conversation. Please try using Viber on two high-speed WiFi connections in order to see Viber's real potential.

2. Landscape mode is in the works right now, and will hopefully be available soon.

3. We have thoroughly checked Viber's effect on battery life, and we didn't notice any special drain when Viber is installed. Please isolate Viber *completely* (reboot phone, then close ALL other apps), and check the exact percentage of Viber after every hour. After running this accurate test, you'll see Viber uses normal amounts of battery. Also, note that you have the "Exit" button that allows you to shut Viber off (and still be available for calls/texts!) thus your battery is fully saved!

4. Viber can be turned off, as I've just mentioned, using the "Exit" button.

If you have any other question/suggestion, please feel free :)
Thanks,
Viber.

Jason Lewisapit

Judy Liu
  • Forum posts: 1

Nov 25, 2011, 10:07:25 PM via Website

Hi There,

I have installed Viber and started to send text and make phone calls, it has been working great.

However, I have a question regarding using Viber when travelling around. I understand that Viber works on top of WiFi or data plan, but how do I get charged if I use Viber on DataPlan ( 3G)? Do they charge just airtime whenever you are, or the roaming fee as well when you are outside of the coverage of the operator?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Judy

Viber

Nov 26, 2011, 12:36:21 PM via Website

Hi,

Viber itself is a completely free application, so paying for "airtime" is out of the question.

What your cell company will probably charge you for is the fact that you are using the internet abroad (they don't know that it's Viber specifically). They will charge you for 3G roaming data, and unless you have a speecific plan for 3G Roaming, usually it's expensive.

Note that Viber uses about 0.3MB per minute of call, and up to 1KB per text message.
Usually, people use Viber when connected to WiFi when they are abroad :)

— modified on Nov 26, 2011, 12:36:44 PM

Alan Teo
  • Forum posts: 2

Apr 30, 2012, 4:40:30 AM via Website

I have downloaded viber to my handset. Now how can I check which
version has been installed.

I have tried calling someone in Taiwan and I kept getting the
message that viber is currenly unavailable or blocked. Do you
know has any country telco company block the use of viber?

Viber

Apr 30, 2012, 12:15:01 PM via Website

Alan Teo

Hi,
To check the version that's currently installed, please go to the "More" tab inside the app, then go to "About". The version number can be found there :)

About the block message you are getting - it could be that the internet network you are connected to is blocking Viber.
Please specify what country you are located in, and which cellular network you're connected to.

Regards,
the Viber Team.

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

May 2, 2012, 4:25:26 PM via Website

Thanks for your support here Viber! :lol: Love seeing companies doing hands on support for people using their app.

— modified on May 2, 2012, 4:25:53 PM

Viber

May 4, 2012, 9:34:02 AM via Website

Eric McBride
Thanks for your support here Viber! :lol: Love seeing companies doing hands on support for people using their app.

It's our pleasure to be here!

If any of your users here on AndroidPIT (in forums, blogs or articles) has unanswered questions or doubts about Viber, please do let us know and we will address them shortly. Our goal is to reach out to all of our users across the Web so no question is left unexplained :)

— modified on May 4, 2012, 9:34:51 AM

Alan Teo
  • Forum posts: 2

May 5, 2012, 5:56:41 AM via Website

Viber
Alan Teo

Hi,
To check the version that's currently installed, please go to the "More" tab inside the app, then go to "About". The version number can be found there :)

About the block message you are getting - it could be that the internet network you are connected to is blocking Viber.
Please specify what country you are located in, and which cellular network you're connected to.

Regards,
the Viber Team.

Hi,

I am located in Singapore. Singapore do not block Viber as I am able to call to friends within the country.
After trying for sometimes I am able to call Taiwan but it is after many tries. A friend told me that it could
be the signal is weak. Do you think this could be the case?

Viber

May 5, 2012, 9:19:15 PM via Website

Alan Teo

Hi,

I am located in Singapore. Singapore do not block Viber as I am able to call to friends within the country.
After trying for sometimes I am able to call Taiwan but it is after many tries. A friend told me that it could
be the signal is weak. Do you think this could be the case?

A block doesn't necessarily mean a national block. It could also be a local WiFi block.
From what you described, it doesn't sound like a weak signal problem (though it could theoretically be that).

Please try the following:

1. First, please try uninstalling and reinstalling Viber when connected to different WiFi networks. Does it work now?
2. Also, please make sure the following ports are enabled on your routers or firewalls:
TCP: 5242 + 4244
UDP: 5243 + 9785

(if you are not sure how to enable ports, contact your router manufacturer)

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

May 9, 2012, 6:27:44 PM via Website

Take advantage of this chance to ask questions now guys! Its not often we get a developer of an app with millions of downloads on the forums to help users!

Hannah Pham

Oct 23, 2012, 6:52:55 PM via Website

I have used for a year and it worked fine until today. I cant send a message and it said viber service is currently unavailable or currently blocked, try again later. I uninstall and install again but it does not work. Its so weird since i have used the same wifi connection for a year and viber worked fine. Then i try use 3g but viber is stiil not working either. What should i do? Thanks

Viber
  • Forum posts: 46

Oct 23, 2012, 7:32:16 PM via Website

Hannah Pham
I have used for a year and it worked fine until today. I cant send a message and it said viber service is currently unavailable or currently blocked, try again later. I uninstall and install again but it does not work. Its so weird since i have used the same wifi connection for a year and viber worked fine. Then i try use 3g but viber is stiil not working either. What should i do? Thanks

Hi,

Viber system is currently experiencing connectivity issues. This is related to our hosting provider (Amazon) that is having a major problem that also affects many other services worldwide.

Amazon is on it, and we hope that with their help we'll be able to restore Viber's service soon.

We apologize for the temporary inconvenience.

Dvoraak
  • Forum posts: 86

Oct 23, 2012, 11:56:17 PM via Website

Good move Viber. I'll be installing your app after seeing your willingness to help. Thanks!

Ivy Harris

Viber

Oct 24, 2012, 10:41:56 AM via Website

Dvoraak
Good move Viber. I'll be installing your app after seeing your willingness to help. Thanks!

We believe it's our duty to help our users out there, in all forums and blogs :)
By the way, the general problem with Amazon (and our servers) has been resolved now, and Viber should be working as usual once more.

Enjoy!

Dvoraak
  • Forum posts: 86

Oct 26, 2012, 5:18:22 AM via Website

Well I wanted to install and try it but Google Play says it's not compatible with my Note 10.1. Is it the Note that's the problem or does it just not work with tablets?

— modified on Oct 26, 2012, 5:18:41 AM

Viber

Oct 26, 2012, 6:27:37 PM via Website

Dvoraak
Well I wanted to install and try it but Google Play says it's not compatible with my Note 10.1. Is it the Note that's the problem or does it just not work with tablets?

Viber does not officially support Tablets yet, and so we can't fully guarantee that it would work on all Tablets.

However, in the meantime you can still download Viber from the direct link in our official HelpDesk at http://bit.ly/rqbZEw . Try it out and we would be happy to receive your feedback on how it works on your device so we could improve Viber accordingly.

Jason Lewisapit

Oct 28, 2012, 11:20:26 AM via Website

Hi Viber,

Love this app! Question, how do I get my profile picture loaded on a Galaxy S3 with firmware 4.0.4?

Cheers.

PS the fully functioning landscape functionality is much appreciated, almost a deal-breaker without it.

Viber

Oct 30, 2012, 6:01:14 PM via Website

Jason Lewisapit
Hi Viber,

Love this app! Question, how do I get my profile picture loaded on a Galaxy S3 with firmware 4.0.4?

Cheers.

PS the fully functioning landscape functionality is much appreciated, almost a deal-breaker without it.

Thanks for the kind compliments :)

The profile picture, once set when you first register, should appear as your profile picture inside Viber and will appear for your contacts when they view your contact at their Viber. Is this not the case? Have you set the profile pic and it doesn't show up?

Also - did you make sure you are running the latest version of Viber from PlayStore?

charmjacket
  • Forum posts: 4

Oct 31, 2012, 4:04:18 AM via Website

They will charge you for 3G roaming data, and unless you have a speecific plan for 3G Roaming, usually it's expensive.

Amanda Estephan
  • Forum posts: 5

Oct 31, 2012, 8:27:22 AM via Website

Hey !
I've installed and used Viber for sometime now but lately i haven't been able to hear anyone over viber. I uninstalled and installed it many times tried calling different users, still can't hear any of them. I can make regular phone calls but the problem is only with viber.

any ideas?

Viber

Oct 31, 2012, 10:29:00 AM via Website

@charmjacket -

Viber itself is totally free, meaning we (Viber) don't charge anything from you.

Since Viber uses the internet, both sides of the conversation must be connected to either WiFi or 3G. If a user is connected to WiFi - that user is not paying anything for sure. If the user is connected to 3G, the user *may* be paying his cell company for the data (about 0.25MB per minute of call), but that depends on the specific data plan that he has with his cellular company, and needs to be verified with them.

* Note that when a user is abroad using the cellular network (and not WiFi), there may be high Roaming charges by your cellular company for the data used.

@Amanda Estephan -

What device exactly are you using? Which version of Android?
Also, are you using a Custom ROM?

Amanda Estephan

Oct 31, 2012, 1:33:56 PM via Website

Viber

@Amanda Estephan -

Thanks for the reply
device is samsung GT-I8150
android version: 2.3.6

no custom ROMs what so ever

Viber

Nov 2, 2012, 8:45:54 PM via Website

Amanda Estephan
Viber

@Amanda Estephan -

Thanks for the reply
device is samsung GT-I8150
android version: 2.3.6

no custom ROMs what so ever

Please note that Viber does not officially support your device yet, and that may be the reason for the problems you are experiencing. Here is the full list of officially supported devices: http://bit.ly/Hm5k9p
We are continuously working to adapt Viber to more and more devices, and we hope to attend to the problems with your device soon. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Amanda Estephan

Nov 4, 2012, 10:06:57 AM via Website

Well thank you very much for the reply :)

Viber

Nov 4, 2012, 8:30:50 PM via Website

Amanda Estephan
Well thank you very much for the reply :)

We did what we could ;)
Thank you for contacting us, and we recommend that you stay tuned for updates and news.

Kaisa A.

Dec 1, 2012, 9:00:21 AM via Website

Hello!
I too find it disturbing that you can't turn off viber. Yes, I can "exit", but I want to exit for not being available trough Viber sometimes. Can you make it possible?
But overall I love this app!

Viber

Dec 2, 2012, 12:17:26 AM via Website

Kaisa A.
Hello!
I too find it disturbing that you can't turn off viber. Yes, I can "exit", but I want to exit for not being available trough Viber sometimes. Can you make it possible?
But overall I love this app!

Viber fulfils its purpose as being a free "substitute" to the regular cellular communication (with more features and options).
As a communication app, we are obligated to provide our users with a service that is always available to receive calls and text messages. This goes hand-in-hand with our users demands, and their preference for the app.

Meanwhile, we invite you to enter our Feature Request page and post your suggestion there, or join an existing similar suggestion. The more people join on a request, the faster it will become reality :)

You can find it here: http://helpme.viber.com/index.php/Knowledgebase/Article/View/43/9/have-an-idea-for-a-new-feature

Muhammad Irteza

Jan 2, 2013, 8:54:06 PM via Website

Iam using Q mobile and network quality is excellent but just in viber other party is listening echo sound..plx help me in fixing this issue

Waiting for ur reply

Viber

Jan 4, 2013, 10:26:10 AM via Website

Muhammad Irteza
Iam using Q mobile and network quality is excellent but just in viber other party is listening echo sound..plx help me in fixing this issue

Waiting for ur reply

Hi,

Sometimes 3G reception could be low, and this is something we cannot control. Naturally this affects Viber's call quality and results in disruptions and broken sound.
We are continuously trying to improve our handling of 3G, so you can expect better performance as newer versions of Viber are released.

Meanwhile, WiFi- WiFi calls on Viber should generally be very clear and are free of such disruptions.

* Lastly, please make sure the problem isn't specifically with one contact, by testing Viber with other contacts.

Indium Indeed
  • Forum posts: 17

Jan 13, 2013, 11:22:27 AM via Website

Viber seems to be good. My wife and her friends use it all the time.

Gl Narayanan

Jan 18, 2013, 3:36:28 PM via Website

I m hving Samsung ACE PLUS and I installed Viber on it.
It isnot working fine in the sense that call is made but the tone I get is of busy tone. Even on re ciept of the call, i am not able to take it.
i have reinstalled it but of no use. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Viber

Jan 19, 2013, 1:58:16 PM via Website

Gl Narayanan
I m hving Samsung ACE PLUS and I installed Viber on it.
It isnot working fine in the sense that call is made but the tone I get is of busy tone. Even on re ciept of the call, i am not able to take it.
i have reinstalled it but of no use. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Hi,

A few suggestions:

1. Reboot both phones. Please try testing Viber again when connecting to a few different WiFi networks.
2. Please make sure that your device is officially compatible with Viber: http://bit.ly/Hm5k9p
3. Lastly, please make sure that both sides have the latest version of Viber installed.

Did this help?

Unowme Lah

Jan 25, 2013, 11:32:27 AM via Website

hye!!

will I still be able to use apps viber when there had no phone signal?

Viber

Jan 25, 2013, 12:59:17 PM via Website

Unowme Lah
hye!!

will I still be able to use apps viber when there had no phone signal?

Yes.
Viber can work on WiFi as well.

Aadam Gibson
  • Forum posts: 41

Jan 31, 2013, 10:31:30 AM via Website

Viber is working fine in my android device. Ya it's true that it will use lots of battery life.

sidhumeet0
  • Forum posts: 18

Feb 1, 2013, 7:36:07 AM via Website

i have Viber app :) I like it.. its brilliant.... :)

Viber

Viber

Feb 3, 2013, 10:15:37 AM via Website

Aadam Gibson
Viber is working fine in my android device. Ya it's true that it will use lots of battery life.

Please make sure that Viber is the cause for the battery drain by isolating Viber (having no other apps running) on a device with stock ROM (custom ROMs may cause this problem).

We conduct strict testings in our labs with several devices and other than when making a call (when it is natural for the battery to be used), we did not come across any significant battery drain when Viber was simply running in the background. Furthermore, over the course of over 15 hours, on average the battery use was only 2%.

You can find additional information on tests performed by Viber users themselves, which show similar results, at:
http://whrl.pl/Rc0APn

Zaki Ancel
  • Forum posts: 18

Feb 5, 2013, 6:33:57 AM via Website

not 2 is good

Droid Developer
  • Forum posts: 7

Feb 5, 2013, 8:47:22 AM via Website

Does Viber work well on 2g ?

Viber

Feb 5, 2013, 9:21:18 AM via Website

Droid Developer

Viber officially supports WiFi or 3G only, but we recommend that you still test Viber on 2G and see if it works for you.

Droid Developer
  • Forum posts: 7

Feb 5, 2013, 6:44:48 PM via Website

Viber
Droid Developer

Viber officially supports WiFi or 3G only, but we recommend that you still test Viber on 2G and see if it works for you.

Ok . I will test and report .

Darren Bird

Feb 8, 2013, 3:30:11 PM via Website

new to Viber and have been using for text / pic messages etc and found very good

However i find voice calls to have a bit of echo and time delay and therefore a bit naff.
What would effect this ? Speed of wi.fi ? is there a recommended min speed ?

Was calling a person in the UK whilst i am also in the UK...Both connected to virgin media with a wifi speed in excess 30 mbps ?

My main concern is this going to be a problem when i visit the USA ina few weeks and want to call back home ?

hoping you can help

Viber

Feb 10, 2013, 4:22:23 PM via Website

Darren Bird
new to Viber and have been using for text / pic messages etc and found very good

However i find voice calls to have a bit of echo and time delay and therefore a bit naff.
What would effect this ? Speed of wi.fi ? is there a recommended min speed ?

Was calling a person in the UK whilst i am also in the UK...Both connected to virgin media with a wifi speed in excess 30 mbps ?

My main concern is this going to be a problem when i visit the USA ina few weeks and want to call back home ?

hoping you can help

Hi there,

Sometimes 3G reception could be low, and this is something we cannot control. Naturally this affects Viber's call quality and results in disruptions and broken sound.
We are continuously trying to improve our handling of 3G, so you can expect better performance as newer versions of Viber are released.

Please note that having full 3G reception doesn't mean your internet's bandwidth is at the maximum expected. When you see a "full reception bar", it merely means that physically, your phone is covered with the cellular signal.

When it comes to the bandwidth itself, your connection could still be slow due to various different reasons, such as being in an area with many other users from the same provider, thus congesting the network.

Meanwhile, WiFi- WiFi calls on Viber should generally be very clear and are free of such disruptions. Have you tested Viber when both sides are trying a few different WiFi networks?