Samsung Galaxy S — phone gets really hot. phone also locks up.

• Replies:4
Stan Jez
  • Forum posts: 51

Sep 6, 2011, 3:46:16 PM via App

I am currently running 2.3.3 and it seems to have improved my phone performance but occasionally I have experience two unrelated problems (I think). The first relates to battery temperature. I have a battery monitor widget. One evening during recharging the alarm sounded indicating high temperature. It showed that it reached 43 degrees. Obviously not a good way to treat a battery. I disconnected the charger and waited until the unit cooled down. Looking through my log it seems that the temperature ranges all the way from ambient all the way to the extreme I had.
I'm aware that recharging does cause heating, but I believe my phone was also downloading some app updates. Could that combination cause such a heat problem?

The other issue is that now on three occasions my phone has switched itself off and the only way I can restart it is by removing the battery.even then it seems to stall on the S and take ages before it starts up.

Thankfully these problems have been rare but is there anyone else with similar issues?

Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Sep 7, 2011, 10:37:40 AM via Website

As far as overheating is concerned, it could be that apps are running in the background while you're charging and you dont even realize it. I'd download a data monitoring app like Onavo to see which apps are taking up space.

If the phone locks up constantly, it could be a faulty unit. Are you still on warantee?

Stan Jez
  • Forum posts: 51

Sep 7, 2011, 5:09:25 PM via App

My contract with virgin mobile (australia) includes an insurance which would cover any issues. At present the phone lockup has been infrequent, but has happened on a couple of occasions, enough for me to pay attention to any pattern that might show up.

In regard to the hot battery I'm sure that it relates to the combination of charging whilst downloading updates (and... Listening to music) just recharging causes a temp increase. that's mentioned in the user manual. I rechecked my battery log... I was wrong in regard to the max temp. It was more... 49 degrees!!
I've now modified my charging schedule.

awd
  • Forum posts: 1

Sep 8, 2011, 7:12:18 PM via App

Stan Jez
I am currently running 2.3.3 and it seems to have improved my phone performance but occasionally I have experience two unrelated problems (I think). The first relates to battery temperature. I have a battery monitor widget. One evening during recharging the alarm sounded indicating high temperature. It showed that it reached 43 degrees. Obviously not a good way to treat a battery. I disconnected the charger and waited until the unit cooled down. Looking through my log it seems that the temperature ranges all the way from ambient all the way to the extreme I had.
I'm aware that recharging does cause heating, but I believe my phone was also downloading some app updates. Could that combination cause such a heat problem?

The other issue is that now on three occasions my phone has switched itself off and the only way I can restart it is by removing the battery.even then it seems to stall on the S and take ages before it starts up.

Thankfully these problems have been rare but is there anyone else with similar issues?

Alex M.
  • Forum posts: 36

Dec 29, 2011, 5:15:15 AM via App

While charging you'd better leave you phone or clear RAM manually via settings, if it is still heating unchecked auto update option in all programs. Other options of heating are possible, like rough connection of battery to the phone but the most recent option is that the OS handles charging process this way. I had that sort of issue but it disappeared after flashing other ROM to the device. btw what version of firmware you use? XWJVB? or JVH? because those two have this sort of problem.