Why Aren't Android Tablets Selling Well?

• Replies:3
Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Jun 8, 2012, 6:03:39 PM via Website

I have my own theories (poor app ecosystem, for one), but am interested in hearing yours...

DaBartonator
  • Forum posts: 21

Jun 8, 2012, 8:53:52 PM via App

It may be an age thing...young people are the ones who want a buy technology and generally speaking younger age have better eyes so they feel buying a tablet will be a waste of money that could be spent on a better phone...the old people are either daunted by the technology or are not willing to spend alot of money...but that's a 15 yr olds thoughts

James Tadle
  • Forum posts: 6

Aug 23, 2012, 12:27:25 PM via Website

:bashful:

it's complexity I think, iPad has a great UI

John Kerr
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 31, 2012, 9:37:22 PM via Website

My guess is when the first high-dollar machines were released by Moto, Asus, Samsung and others, the OS just wasn't ready and the Ecosystem didn't offer compelling reasons to buy. Since 4.0 and particularly since 4.1 my guess is that will change. Amazon recently announced sell-through of their first Kindle Fire even with their customized Gingerbread platform it sold without big discounts. Google seems to have no problems with their Nexus 7 either. As more offerings start falling into the 200 to 300 dollar range things will heat up.

It may also have a lot to do with the owner's usage model. I just updated from a Droid Bionic to a GNex not long ago because I really wanted Jelly Bean. Now I want a tablet with Jelly Bean and the Nexus 7 is my next 'Target of Opportunity'. For me this is because I want a device that is a larger-screened extension of my phone. Others might want a tablet as a more portable version of their PC.