Nexus 7: Top Tips and Tricks

• Replies:3
Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Oct 8, 2012, 5:13:21 PM via Website

So, you're the proud owner of a brand new Nexus 7. You just opened Google's box and you're ready to have some fun. Maybe you have a few ideas of what you'd like to do with your tablet – watch movies all day long, play Fruit Ninja or read magazines – or maybe you have no clue. In any case, we've got you covered. Here are a few tips and tricks for getting the most out of your new device.

Install a Camera Launcher
The Nexus 7 has a front-facing camera but there's no way to launch it from the homescreen out of the box. Install Camera Launcher by MoDaCo to be able to launch the device's camera straight from the homescreen.
Install Adobe Flash
Apple's iOS doesn't support Flash, but your brand new device does. While the Flash app is long gone from Google Play, you can still install it by downloading the APK from XDA developers (make sure to go to settings –> security first and check "unknown sources.")
Unlock Screen Rotation

A funny thing happened when Eric brought the Nexus 7 to AndroidPIT's offices for the first time: we couldn't initially figure out how to rotate the screen to landscape mode. Eric joked, "I feel like I just bought a giant phone." In fact, you can unlock screen rotation. Just pul down the notifcation bar and click the lock next to "Settings."
Transform Your Nexus 7 Into a Kindle eReader
Seriously, who needs a Kindle when you can download Amazon's Kindle app and sync your e-books to your Nexus 7? It's got by far the greatest number of books of any ereader app.
Play VLC Video Files

HendrikJB
  • Forum posts: 7

Nov 24, 2012, 5:34:47 PM via Website

Well yes I`m the proud owner of a Nexus 7 32GB. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Just received it today but cannot get it set up without WiFi and I don`t have WiFi where I am at :angry: :angry: :angry:

So is there a way that I can set it up without WiFi?

Hendrik

Chris M.
  • Forum posts: 23

Feb 21, 2013, 4:45:39 PM via Website

Have you cracked your problem yet? I used coffee shops and pubs' 'free wifi' at one point to do this.

James Salli
  • Forum posts: 10

Dec 15, 2021, 2:16:44 PM via Website

Nice information!