1. You need to download the following files:
The Android SDK for your computer's operating system
A custom recovery (like ClockworkMod)
A root tool (like Super SU)

2. Then you need to install ADB and fastboot

3. You need to unlock your bootloader.

4. Then install a custom recovery.

5. Then you can get root access.

As always, rooting your device is risky so don't come crying to us if you do something bad.

For all the steps in detail and the relevant download links, visit this tutorial by Quentin. Any questions on the process, however, should be asked in this forum thread.

— modified on Jan 20, 2014, 6:16:44 PM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Deactivated Account
  • Mod
  • Forum posts: 1,399

Jan 12, 2014, 2:46:25 AM via Website

Hi! I would like to represent the Nexus Root Toolkit by Wug Fresh. It fits for all types of Nexus Devices. All program's options are almost fully automatized and safe. Meet it here http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

"Нельзя приготовить омлет, не разбив яйца" http://www.androidpit.ru/ru/android/forum/thread/502378/FAQ

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Jan 20, 2014, 6:18:39 PM via Website

I would also like to throw my support behind WugFresh's Nexus Root Toolkit. I used it to root my Nexus 4 and now my Nexus 5 as well. It works perfectly every time. Quentin's original tutorial made use of the manual process, but the NRT is much simpler.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Honor UAE
  • Forum posts: 16

May 19, 2019, 8:37:19 AM via Website

I am going to try to root my nexus 5 with your tips & suggestions you shared here. I will share my experience after doing this with you here.

Deactivated Account

emmabagins
  • Forum posts: 5

May 20, 2019, 8:47:20 AM via Website

looking for the solution for my own Nexus 6p. :(

emmaagro
  • Forum posts: 1

Oct 24, 2023, 2:57:12 PM via Website

Google Nexus is a discontinued line of consumer electronic devices that run the Android operating system. Google managed the design, development, marketing, and support of these devices, but some development and all manufacturing were carried out by partnering with original equipment manufacturers (OEMs).Why was the Nexus phone series discontinued by LG and Google? Firstly, Nexus smartphones were marketed to give a pure Android experience, which became really famous among developers and enthusiasts but their was a barrier, the price point, so not everyone can afford it.