How to move Whatsapp conversations to new phone..Android to Android

• Replies:41
  • Stickied
sheralisa
  • Forum posts: 3

Mar 11, 2014, 9:51:00 PM via Website

Hi all!
Complete first timer, so please be gentle!!
I'm having problems getting my old whatsapp conversations to move over from my old phone (a battered old HTC) to my new phone (a Samsung s3 Mini) i have followed the step by guidance, copied over the folder on my SD card via my laptop and all that but its still not worked. Any other ideas? I have a lovely new phone to play with but I can't use it as I NEED my previous whatsapp conversations.
Any advice is welcome!!!! Ta.

— modified on Mar 12, 2014, 12:26:12 PM by moderator

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Mar 12, 2014, 7:03:39 AM via Website

Well, I think you can do that just by signing onto the old what's app account on your new device what's app will automatically load the conversation back, but anyways if you are still experiencing some issues you can have a look at the what's app FAQ they have answered your question, here have a look at this "whatsapp.com/faq/general/21002842" .

Sorin

sheralisa

Mar 12, 2014, 7:13:48 AM via Website

Hi John. Thanks for your reply.. Tried that and it doesn't work. I've moved phones before and I've also updated whatsapp before and it normally gives you the option to update conversations but this time on the new phone it doesn't.. :-\

Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Mar 12, 2014, 12:12:27 PM via Website

Hi Sheralisa!

Here is how to transfer your entire chat history to your new phone:

• Creat a backup of your chat history on your old phone. To do this you open the settings menu of WhatsApp, tap on "Chat Settings" and then tap "backup chat history".
  • Connect your smartphone via USB cable to the PC and navigate in the internal memory of the device to the folder "WhatsApp / Databases". Here are all the backup files saved with the date (eg msgstore-2013-05-29.db.crypt). Copy the file with the latest date on your PC, such as on the desktop.
  • Install WhatsApp on your new device. Important: Do not start the app!
  • Connects your new device via USB to the PC. If you've downloaded WhatApp onto your new device, a folder "WhatsApp / Databases" should be already there. If not, you can manually create it. Then you copy over the backup file msgstore-YYYY-MM-TT.db.crypt into this folder.

Then start your WhatsApp on your new phone and verify your phone number. You should now get a notification that a message backup was found. Just click on "Restore" tap, done.

After a few seconds, all messages are returned. Then you still have to enter a name and possibly set a profile picture, and already you have all the old chats on your new smartphone and you can continue exactly where you stopped before.

Let me know if this worked for you!

— modified on Mar 12, 2014, 12:14:22 PM

SorintonyDeactivated AccountTon76

sheralisa

Mar 12, 2014, 7:05:28 PM via Website

You are amazing!!!! I have been driving people mental with this problem.. I'm so happy, 26k msgs restored thank youthankyou thank you!! :grin:

Dianap
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 1, 2014, 12:43:30 AM via Website

Hello Loie,

I just found your posting after trying the instructions given by Whats app website and it did not worked.
So i went ahead and follow your instructions but instead of using an usb cable and saved the information on PC I saved on SD - memory card ( due to problems with usb port) so i saved on sd card and created the file database onto new phone and transfer files... the only thing is that i had already downloaded whats app on the new phone and had already started and it did not prompted me to restore anything...:( Is there anyway i can still save / transfer conversations.... i have very important information in it. Do you have any suggestion? when i go back to old phone i can still have access to
all conversations.

Thank you

Sorin

Ton76

Nov 10, 2014, 2:25:18 PM via Website

Loie Favre

Hi Sheralisa!

Here is how to transfer your entire chat history to your new phone:

Creat a backup of your chat history on your old phone. To do this you open the settings menu of WhatsApp, tap on "Chat Settings" and then tap "backup chat history".
Connect your smartphone via USB cable to the PC and navigate in the internal memory of the device to the folder "WhatsApp / Databases". Here are all the backup files saved with the date (eg msgstore-2013-05-29.db.crypt). Copy the file with the latest date on your PC, such as on the desktop.
Install WhatsApp on your new device. Important: Do not start the app!
Connects your new device via USB to the PC. If you've downloaded WhatApp onto your new device, a folder "WhatsApp / Databases" should be already there. If not, you can manually create it. Then you copy over the backup file msgstore-YYYY-MM-TT.db.crypt into this folder.

Then start your WhatsApp on your new phone and verify your phone number. You should now get a notification that a message backup was found. Just click on "Restore" tap, done.

After a few seconds, all messages are returned. Then you still have to enter a name and possibly set a profile picture, and already you have all the old chats on your new smartphone and you can continue exactly where you stopped before.

Let me know if this worked for you!

Hi Loie Favre!
I registed to this forum just to say "thank you" (well, I might ask or make more comments in the future)...
As your solution WORKS FOR ME!!!

I read many many threads, on different forums, all mostly refering to the WhatsApp FAQ, which doesn't work for me... as installing WhatsApp on my new phone didn't recognize the backup on my SD card.

So I did what you said, and I had to create a "WhatsApp / Databases" folder, copied the msgstore-YYYY-MM-TT.db.crypt to that location, and it finally found my message backup... yesss!

The only thing I don't like on my new phone (Android 4.4.2... and my old phone was Android 2.3), is that on my old phoen my WhatsApp folder was entirely on my SD card, and on the new phone it "has to be" on the internal memory...

Sorin

G.Emily
  • Forum posts: 23

Feb 6, 2015, 8:57:43 AM via Website

reallly can help us ,thank you!

Christopher Ethan
  • Forum posts: 12

Mar 26, 2015, 8:21:34 AM via Website

You can backup the Whatsapp data to your pc and then use Tenorshar android data to restore them to your new Samsung phone.

kritika sharma
  • Forum posts: 7

May 1, 2015, 12:45:00 PM via Website

Hello..Following steps would help you out to transfer whatsapp conversation from one phone to another:

• Go to the whatsapp app from your current phone.
    -Once you have opened the app, go to the three dotted lines from the top right corner of the screen
    -From the list of settings there, select the “Chat settings” option
    -This will take you to a new page of settings for whatsapp chats. From here, go to the “Back up conversations” option.
    -You will here see the date when your chats were last backed up. Click on the option to start backing up your whatsapp conversations till date
    -Your whatsapp conversations will be backed up with the app. It will also be stored in the whatsapp folder of your phone.
    For more Whatsapp tutorials visit whatsapp360.com

Sihan Goi
  • Forum posts: 2

May 2, 2015, 12:01:33 PM via Website

Is it possible to merge Whatsapp chat histories from 2 different Android devices?

I was using device 1 exclusively, and then started using device 2 exclusively for a while, and now I want to move back to device 1. How to I merge the 2 whatsapp chat histories together back on device 1 so that it's seamless?

Thanks.

Mobilephoneprice.pk
  • Forum posts: 4

May 26, 2015, 3:06:12 PM via Website

Good nice work

Laurent Bosquet

Jun 7, 2015, 8:36:15 PM via Website

Hi

Just acquired a samsung s6 edge and unknowingly I opened whatsapp only to find that I had to start over

I checked the internet on how to take back conversations from my old phone (s2) and came on your site. The only problem is that whatsapp is default on the s6 and I can't uninstall it to reinstall the app after the transfer.

Any solutions on what to do please? I have really important conversations which I would like to keep on my S6 edge

Help please

Laurent Bosquet

Jun 10, 2015, 2:06:34 PM via Website

Anyone??? Please help

Laurent Bosquet

Jun 19, 2015, 6:01:10 PM via Website

Bump please

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 267

Jun 20, 2015, 4:46:12 AM via Website

Lovely piece of work. Thanks!

nilofar shaikh
  • Forum posts: 581

Nov 3, 2015, 1:51:24 PM via Website

Really nice brief information it is really helpful..

Looking for security app? Try Leo Privacy Guard 3.0.

Join Our Christmas Contest by visiting our Facebook page "LEO Privacy Guard"

Lily Meester
  • Forum posts: 8

Dec 17, 2015, 9:03:04 AM via Website

Hey, you'd better rely on third-party tools to move WhatsApp conversations from old Android phone to a new one. I have met the same problem like you, and luckily I found an easy way from: jihosoft.com/phone-transfer/transfer-whatsapp-messages-from-android-to-android.html

EdwardSmith36
  • Forum posts: 85

Jan 13, 2016, 10:00:27 AM via Website

It is strongly suggested to do backup chat history, or else email the conversation if you need it in future.

Joan Lee

Jan 21, 2016, 10:02:49 AM via Website

I strongly recommend you to use Syncios data Transfer which can transfer your data from one android phone to another.:*

tony
  • Forum posts: 8

Feb 14, 2016, 4:56:12 AM via Website

awesome solution

Spencer Lee
  • Forum posts: 24

Jul 29, 2016, 2:57:29 AM via Website

To Transfer WhatsApp Messages from Android to Android, you need to backup old whatsApp chats to Google drive, then transfer backup to your new android phone.
Or you can use Android WhatsApp Transfer to transfer Android WhatsApp chat history from one Android phone to another directly on computer.

Christie Rodriguez
  • Forum posts: 70

Oct 10, 2016, 12:08:45 PM via Website

Make sure to check the detailed steps section below if your WhatsApp folder is located in your device's internal memory.
1. Install WhatsApp on your new phone.
2. Verify the phone number in WhatsApp that you had when you backed up your chats.
3. Now click Restore when prompted to restore your message history.

william worth

Oct 10, 2016, 1:38:07 PM via Website

I only know the method which you are describing in the start of this thread. The another method which shared by another guy i also new for me.

martin smith
  • Forum posts: 277

Jul 18, 2017, 11:39:17 AM via Website

Good to know about this..thanks for sharing the information..

Ruby Mariah
  • Forum posts: 53

Jul 22, 2017, 5:37:22 PM via Website

if you want to change your phone then just open you account in the new phone. But if you want to change your account number then there is another method for this. Follow the steps:

Open whatsApp in you current phone.
Go to menu and tap Account.
Open Change number.
Tap Next.
Here you have to put your phone numbers and just tap done and its done.

Hope it will help you.

Eileen Ryan

Dec 10, 2017, 4:32:46 PM via Website

Can you transfer whatsapp from windows phone to android. Got new phone loaded Whatsapp has all contacts and groups but no history of chats.
Any ideas?

Jake Tse
  • Forum posts: 15

Jan 10, 2018, 4:05:54 AM via Website

Some phone to phone transfer apps can help you move almost everything from one phone to another even they run different operating systems.

Danish Qureshi
  • Forum posts: 42

Jan 30, 2018, 11:45:02 AM via Website

The folder is located in your device's internal memory or external SD card. To use local backup to transfer WhatsApp messages between Android devices,
follow the steps below:
1. Launch WhatsApp on your old Android device, go to
Menu Button > Settings > Chats > Chat backup > Back Up,
and back up the WhatsApp messages.

— modified on Mar 22, 2018, 1:06:47 PM

Avi Peleg

May 28, 2018, 5:52:28 AM via Website

Hi,
I tried to transfar my backup from my old number to my new number.
by mistake I first backup chat history and then transfer the whatsapp from the old number to the new one (after reading about the proccess I understood that I should done it in the oposit order).
Is there any solution to restore the backup I made using my old munber to my new number whatsapp?
I see the backup both in google drive and on my device (in the database folder) but the whatsapp can't restore it.

Thank you,
Avi

Emily Baker
  • Forum posts: 37

May 28, 2018, 9:00:15 AM via Website

With this method, you can send WhatsApp messages to your new Phone and view them on Phone in the form of email, but you can't open it on WhatsApp.
Here is how:
Step 1. Directly find and open WhatsApp on Android, then go to "Setting > Chats Setting > Chat History > Email Chat".
Step 2. Select the conversation you wish to send to your Phone, then a pop-up window will appear and ask you whether to transfer WhatsApp messages with media files or not. Choose one of the option and then go to the next step.
Step 3. Now, you'll be taken to a new page, here you need to type your email account and click the "Send" button.

Ceciclia Garcia
  • Forum posts: 44

Jun 4, 2018, 5:14:15 AM via Website

Generally speaking, you need to backup WhatsApp messages with WhatsApp Backup on Android phone, then restore the backups on Android phone.

Below is the detailed steps:

Step 1. Go to "Setting > Chats > Chat backup > Back Up Now" to backup your Android WhatsApp messages.

Step 2. Uninstall WhatsApp on Android, then turn to another Android phone.

Step 3. Run WhatsApp on Android and login to your WhatsApp account. When you see a message "Message Backup Found", don't hesitate to click "Restore" button to restore the backed up Android WhatsApp messages to Android Phone.

If you're choosing to use the WhatsApp Backup to reach your goal, you need to uninstall WhatsApp on Android after backing up, then install it on new Android Phone.

Telugu Tech Updates

Telugu Tech Updates

Oct 28, 2018, 7:23:37 PM via Website

1st of all backup your chat and video to your whatsapp cloud in old phone and login with the same credentials in new phone..than problem is solved..tq

— modified on Oct 28, 2018, 7:25:36 PM

William Cooke

Nov 10, 2018, 3:11:13 PM via Website

Hi Loie,
I have just found your reply and I am having the same problem. I have tried following your advice line by line, but sadly without success. I have also tried using Google Drive to effect the transfer of the old chats, but again without success.
When I re-install WhatsApp, and after entering the phone number, the screen message on the phone states "backup found today 245mb", and I then click on restore, but after only a few seconds, the next message states" 0 messages restored".
I assume I am missing something or doing something incorrectly. Have you any suggestions?
I look forward to hearing from you,
Willie

james_jaden
  • Forum posts: 4

Apr 27, 2019, 2:10:45 PM via Website

Its a good discussion and i like to place solution with detail.

— modified on Apr 27, 2019, 2:11:43 PM

Nadh
  • Forum posts: 15

May 31, 2020, 4:21:23 PM via Website

Now, it is so simple and can be done with the Google driove backup.

norman

Oct 24, 2020, 9:10:28 PM via Website

Hi, I think you may have sorted the issue. Please always connect and remember your email account to the playstore, in this way you can create a backup of your data in google account and your can easily recover it from your new device.

vishl sen

Mar 18, 2023, 8:15:08 AM via Website

Moving WhatsApp conversations to a new phone is a straightforward process, and here are the steps you need to follow:

Backup your WhatsApp conversations on your old phone: Open WhatsApp, go to Settings > Chats > Chat Backup and tap on "Back Up Now" to create a backup of your chats on your Google Drive or iCloud account.

Install WhatsApp on your new phone: Download and install WhatsApp from the App Store or Google Play Store.

Verify your phone number: Open WhatsApp on your new phone and enter your phone number. You will receive a verification code via SMS or phone call.

Restore your WhatsApp conversations on your new phone: During the setup process, WhatsApp will ask if you want to restore your chat history from the backup you created earlier. Tap on "Restore" to transfer your chats, media files, and settings to your new phone.

Wait for the restoration process to complete: The time it takes to restore your WhatsApp chats depends on the size of your backup and the speed of your internet connection. Please be patient and avoid interrupting the process.

Once the restoration process is complete, you should be able to access your WhatsApp conversations on your new phone. It's worth noting that if you don't have a backup, you won't be able to transfer your old conversations to your new phone.

To know more visit here: Relaxmodapk.com

carlzdooms

Mar 22, 2023, 8:03:37 AM via Website

I strongly recommend you to use Syncios data Transfer which can transfer your data from one android phone to another.:*

etersonp
  • Forum posts: 2

Nov 6, 2023, 2:26:59 PM via Website

You can use Google Drive or a third-party app. If you use Google Drive, open WhatsApp on your old phone and go to Settings > Chats > Chat backup. Back up your chats to Google Drive. Then, on your new phone, install WhatsApp and log in with the same phone number. When prompted, select Restore chat history from Google Drive. If you use a third-party app, follow the app's instructions to transfer your chats.

Billu Bansal
  • Forum posts: 18

Feb 19, 2024, 10:48:40 AM via Website

Take the backup of your conversations to your Gmail account and log in to the new device with the same account.