How to save to the SD card with Android 4.4.2 on the Galaxy Note 3.

• Replies:14
Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Mar 18, 2014, 7:11:04 PM via Website

The update to Android 4.4.2 KitKat didn't just bring good surprises to users of Galaxy Note 3. Now you can not save to the external microSD card with the new update. The problem seems to occur only with certain applications, anyway here is a tutorial to fix it.

Write to SD card on Android 4.4.2 KitKat

Warning
Back up your data! The following procedure can lead to the deletion of the entire user data. In addition, the rooting is risky. If you do not follow the procedure correctly, your 3 Note could be bricked. Neither AndroidPIT or myself will be held responsible.

To install the corrective software, you must have rooted your Galaxy Note 3 and CWM installed. If you want to root the Note 3, take a look at this tutorial.

1 . Download the following file: extsdcardfix-flashable.zip and unzip it.
2 . Copy the file on your internal sd card (on the root of the phone).
3 . Turn off your Galaxy Note 3 and reboot into recovery mode (home + volume down + power ) .
4 . With the volume buttons, move the cursor to install zip and confirm with the power button.
5 . With the same method, select the ''choose the zip from sdcard'' option, retrieve the file that you copied earlier.
6 . Select Yes and confirm.
7 . Return to the main menu with go back.
8 . Choose reboot now.

Now you can save your data on your SD card!

— modified on Mar 21, 2014, 3:06:22 PM

Michael Cruz
  • Forum posts: 1

Mar 19, 2014, 11:27:29 AM via Website

Can I use this on Sprint Note 3 N900P?

My1
  • Forum posts: 673

Mar 23, 2014, 10:28:37 AM via App

Are file Explorers also affected by that bug?

MFG/Regards My1

Saem Sarguroh
  • Forum posts: 22

Mar 23, 2014, 12:19:25 PM via App

Philipp Junghannß (My1)
Are file Explorers also affected by that bug?
Few are. And in some you will find external SD card displayed twice.

My1

Mar 23, 2014, 12:44:37 PM via App

Oh my god, glad that I didn't update...

4.4 there is yet no known way to root without killing the flag and so i'd be very cautious about recommending root for the note 3.

— modified on Mar 24, 2014, 7:10:38 AM

MFG/Regards My1

Joel W.
  • Forum posts: 164

Mar 25, 2014, 4:06:39 AM via Website

@Loie, has this been a problem on all 4.4.2 Samsung devices upgraded from 4.3, or just with the Galaxy Note 3?

--I do a good impression of myself--

j51988

Apr 20, 2014, 8:15:44 PM via Website

Can I use this

Irving BigDady E.
  • Forum posts: 4

Apr 20, 2014, 10:19:56 PM via Website

Hi everyone. New guy here. I have the galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition and I'm a little nervous about this kit Kat update for the reasons you outlined do you know/think this will be the case with the note 10.1 as far as losing sdcard access? Thanks in advance for any input.

Lalit
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 2,324

Apr 21, 2014, 6:58:06 AM via Website

Well, I've been hearing from many users that as they are upgraded from jellybean to KitKat their SD card is not working !! :? So this puts me on the confusion that SD card is supported by the KitKat or not .... @ Loie I will be glad if you could clear this query for me !! :?

My1

Apr 22, 2014, 6:26:06 PM via Website

well, due to some pseudo-security-enhancements, microSD card is read only, unless samsung fixes that...

curious about S5 in that case...

MFG/Regards My1

My1

Apr 23, 2014, 6:30:44 PM via Website

they coded a whole new UI and everything, they should have fixed that from the start, there are enough hobby-dev solutions AND THEIR SOURCES out, so they can copypaste thta into their FW... If I had the S5 I had returned it latest point one or 2 days after, since I dont like cables in that case and simply use FTP on the Note 3, looks like kk is more a nuisance than a worthy update... I might have already said that, but I am glad as hell having stayed on 4.3

MFG/Regards My1

Tem Kub

Aug 19, 2014, 11:57:20 AM via Website

Thank you so much ..
Finally I am now can access external memory in my note 3:D

My1

Aug 19, 2014, 12:00:49 PM via Website

did Samsung fix there or did you root and use a hobby-dev solution?

MFG/Regards My1

Jowi Krause

Dec 27, 2014, 1:39:27 PM via Website

Solution for Writing on External SD under KiKat on HTC One!

This link to a flashable file was the only thing that helped me on my new ONE M8. All the other solutions, like Apps from the market, modification of platform.xml and XPosed Framework had not helped.
I installed the Zip via TWRP recovery, did da Dalvik wipe and - presto! - I can use my SD Card again, for storing downloads, Pictures, Titanium Backups etc.
Thanks for that!