Opera Mini5

• Replies:10
Vernon Townsend
  • Forum posts: 7

Mar 13, 2010, 3:10:11 AM via Website

Downloaded the newest, just released Opera Mini 5 browser for the Motorola Android. After several hours of use, I must say..
" Get your own copy" . I promise you, you'll be pleasantly surprised at just how fast this browser works~
RDP

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 397

Mar 13, 2010, 2:16:42 PM via Website

i downloaded it via the androidpit.de site and now i permanently get messages to download a chinese version.
no need to mention that i do not want to have the chinese version as i believe there is a certain control within this version.
my long years of internet experience in china teached me to be carefull with chinese software versions

do someone have a idea how to get rid of this chinese version problem ?

HTC Magic , Nexus 1, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, S3,Note 2, S4

Vernon Townsend

Mar 13, 2010, 3:27:26 PM via Website

Check out my reply in this thread..
https://www.nextpit.com/en/android/forum/thread/393305/Android-App-in-english#p420038
I completely agree with your concerns regarding the Chinese version nag.
Personally, I want nothing to do with any version of anything based with Chinese language.
While this comment may be off subject, it's a proven fact that the world largest pool of virus infected
computer systems is based from China.
That' non withstanding, I can't read nor understand the lanaguage either..
Personally, I would just uninstall that copy off my cellphone ~
Go to the app site for your brand of cellphone, and grab a new copy Opera Mini 5.
That should always be your key..Look for apps designed for your brand of cellphone.
RDP

— modified on Mar 13, 2010, 5:16:35 PM

Chris H.
  • Forum posts: 321

Mar 14, 2010, 3:38:35 AM via Website

As far as I know, there is no work-around to solve the problem. It doesn't matter where you get your Opera browser from. Fact is, as long as you are in China you will be prompted to install the chinese version (For better browsing experience :lol:).

Before Opera was "harmonized" in November '09 or so, it was always the best way to bypass chinese censorship. You could visit Youtube, Blogger, Twitter.......everything. Then Opera had to bend over and create a chinese version that follows the national laws (the "You-don't-have-to-know-what's-outside-china" laws).

Thats the reason why I kicked opera off my phone.

Vernon Townsend

Mar 14, 2010, 5:40:36 AM via Website

I didn't realize this was your situation (I didn't catch your comment about living in China). Opera Mini 5 is such a small app, maybe you could still get a "clean" copy?
I wish you luck..
Now, on to an off subject.
I am under the impression that Google, Inc., might be leaving China for those very similar reasons..
Censorship is not good.
RDP

Chris H.

Mar 14, 2010, 6:35:22 AM via Website

I did use a clean Opera before. Installed back home in Switzerland. This app refused working in November and kept telling me to update to new version.

Yes. It looks like Google plans to leave China indeed. Censorships really sucks.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 397

Mar 14, 2010, 11:21:00 PM via Website

Even Google will leave Chine, nothing will change here.
The Government just do not care what others think and do. They decide what is good and what is bad and the Rest of the Population has to follow.
When you look at what is blocked here in China you really wonder about the reasons for these actions.
for example facebook is blocked. a side which is hardly used by chinese people while they have with there qq world a similar offer which is used by anyone.
picasa can not be accessed while flickr works......and and and ...............i totally agree ..it sucks and i wont use a chinese version of the opera 5 (not even for a so called better experience)

HTC Magic , Nexus 1, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, S3,Note 2, S4

Chris H.

Mar 15, 2010, 12:58:00 AM via App

Micha, you're right. Nothing will change if google leaves. Another company will fill the gap. Probably Baidu will profit. It's just incredible how much of taxpayers money is used for the censorship.
You named a few: Facebook, YouTube, Picasa, Wikipedia (gives you a connection reset on certain topics), Google image search is almost impossible to use because after a few pages your connection will be reset as well.......
At least german News are not affected to much. Seems they focus on english and chinese contents.
However having a Android phone with all these social networks integrated is somethimes really frustrating cuz we can't use it at all.

Ben Foster
  • Forum posts: 14

Mar 19, 2010, 12:14:32 AM via Website

I downloaded opera mini onto my phone and i found it too be way faster than the broweser. my only problem with it, is that opera always tries to load the full website instead of the mobile version. i found that to be pretty annoying. anyone else have the same issue? i mean sometimes i need just the basic mobile interface (like with YouTube and Facebook) instead of the full blown website....

Vernon Townsend

Mar 19, 2010, 5:15:28 AM via Website

I can't speak for the others, but I have the mobile version -n- I totally agree, it works way fast`!
Your initial setup was okay?

Ben Foster
  • Forum posts: 14

Mar 19, 2010, 9:24:29 AM via Website

yeah the set-up was fine and it runs great. what i meant was that Opera Mini tends to load the original version of a website onto the screen i.e. the same version you'd see on your computer screen. with some site, i'd rather go directly to the mobile/pda/touch version of the site to have a better overview. it can be annoying trying to navigate a computer-size website on a small screen, always needing to zoom-in and out and move from right to left. this might sound a bit petty, but it bothers me