AT&T restrict apps for their Android phone

• Replies:18
Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Mar 15, 2010, 12:26:15 PM via Website

AT&T's new Android powered phone, the Motorola Backflip, is more limited than its other Android powered brethren. One of the great things about Android is that it is built off of Linux, and that it is possible to download and install apk files from unofficial sources or unknown sources.

AT&T apparently are not interested in that ability. In my opinion, it seems that they are actually against that ability. The only apps you are supposed to install are the ones you can find on Google's Android Market.

And that's not all. Apparently, users cannot remove the software that comes installed on their phones. Plus, the Google search function is replaced by Yahoo as the default search function. Guess what version of Android the Motorola runs! Figured it out yet? Well, it runs 1.5 with the option to upgrade to 2.1.

XDA-Developers have found out a way to get around the block on non market apps, but I believe this is still not something AT&T were intending to allow.

What does this all add up to? In my opinion, it adds up to a phone that I would not buy if I was in the market for an Android phone.

Sources: Androidguys.com, AndroidandMe.com, mobilecrunch.com

Allan Stanford
  • Forum posts: 1

Jul 4, 2010, 2:37:02 PM via Website

It's worse than that I'm afraid. I just got the new HTC that AT&T is selling. I'm noticing that there are several apps on the marketplace that don't show up when I search for them. Specifically, I can't find any tethering apps (pdanet, easytether, etc.). This is very sad.

Michael B
  • Forum posts: 24

Jul 4, 2010, 5:01:04 PM via App

on locked uninstalls, I can't uninstall apps that came with my Verizon incredible, all I can do is just not use them.

on missing apps, is that because it's running 1.6?

Douglas Carter

Jul 5, 2010, 11:26:03 AM via Website

Michael, you have a HTC Droid Incredible from verizon? It should have Android 2.1 on it, factory installed. There are certain apps that come with the phones from almost all carriers which cannot be uninstalled. Rooting the phone may allow you to uninstall them, but rooting is a difficult process for most, and can result in your phone ending up dead/useless if you make a mistake in the process.

Michael B
  • Forum posts: 24

Jul 5, 2010, 4:21:21 PM via App

I don't want to root the phone, I was responding to the previous posts. :)

Douglas Carter

Jul 5, 2010, 4:51:38 PM via Website

Allan Stanford
It's worse than that I'm afraid. I just got the new HTC that AT&T is selling. I'm noticing that there are several apps on the marketplace that don't show up when I search for them. Specifically, I can't find any tethering apps (pdanet, easytether, etc.). This is very sad.

Allen, you bought the HTC Aria? Would you be interested in making a hands-on review on the forums so that others in the community can see the positives and minuses of the phone?

Adrian P
  • Forum posts: 2

Sep 12, 2010, 10:26:34 AM via App

do you see people. why whould u got to att? it does not make sense. att is like communism if ask me. freedom my arsenal.. crappy company

ireneL
  • Forum posts: 114

Sep 13, 2010, 12:28:19 AM via Website

I totaly agree about atnt limiting the use of the backflip, this is my theory, (Just my theory) i think Steve (what his lastname) got atnt in so many legalities issue that atnt has no choice but to do steve (whats his last name) bidding.

For now me thinks that what's keeping the ship from sinking is the iphone and shall i dare to say contract hostage. Apparently there's that many people left that are a loyalist to the iphone, (So sad but true) also the fact that theres plenty of folks that can't afford to pay for the buy out plan.. Again, solely my opinion..

Fyi- will not be able to do your requested review of the backflip, got so disgusted with atnt that i switched to vzw and the switch was done so fast that it never for one moment occur to me that "hey if you switch before you did the review, you will not be able to show the backflip in all its glory." Sorry about that Douglas..

Needless to say i now have my mdx, perfectly happy with my handset, how ever the mdx came with bh5x battery, thought it was smart on my part to also buy the bh6x 1930 mah extended life battery, (was able to just walk in my vzw to buy the ext bat and bat cvr both, both item came in 1 box for $49) how ever when i remove the old battery and put the new one in that i found out the additional hump that i gave my mdx (Groan) Beside the camera hump i now have the battery hump as well.lol And thus also explains why when i bought the bh6x, why it comes with the battery compartment cover.
I am now in the process of testing on how long this new bat will last before i have to recharge...Will post my end result tomorow...

English is my second Language :-)

ireneL

Sep 14, 2010, 4:14:41 AM via Website

https://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gif
I hope i done this right, if not my apology in advance...

The bh6x extended battery was able to give me atleast 9 hours of moderate used, ie, recieved/answear email, web browsing, apps browsing, talking etc..
As you can see from the above photo, there is a hump addition although it's not sticking out as bad as the camera lens, you can still see it, and theres a slight difference in the weight of the phone.

can anyone tell me if i can find a 3500 mah for my mdx? and is it possible to have it the same size as the original stock battery?

Thanks

ireneL

Sep 14, 2010, 4:18:07 AM via Website

pls tolerate me as im learning:^]

— modified on Sep 14, 2010, 6:02:48 AM

ireneL

Sep 14, 2010, 5:54:01 AM via Website

Im learning, unfortunately not fast enough..:*)

— modified on Sep 14, 2010, 6:06:27 AM

Douglas Carter

Sep 14, 2010, 11:18:22 AM via Website

those pictures are very small. It is hard to see the differences with them so small. How do you upload your pictures, and do you know how to upload them at any size you want?

ireneL

Sep 14, 2010, 2:08:15 PM via App

first time pasting a picture in a forum, guess i could have use the medium. sorry, i was having one of those days yesterday....

btw use photo bucket...

— modified on Sep 14, 2010, 2:10:48 PM

ireneL

Sep 14, 2010, 4:49:53 PM via App

That would be awesome. Thank you so very much for the kind offerings, got scared and went for the small one. thank you Douglas, I really appreciate it...