android 2.2 turns android devises into mobile hotspots? can someone say amazing!

• Replies:8
Ryan Erickson
  • Forum posts: 93

Jun 22, 2010, 11:59:45 PM via App

i cant wait for android 2.2! the 2 to 5 time speed improvement to the mobile hot spot this should be a great update for our android devises lets hope the droid gets this update soon

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Jun 23, 2010, 4:56:07 AM via Website

What exactly is a mobile hotspot? Does it allow you to share your mobile internet connection with other devices such as computers? And how do the other devices connect, through wifi?

Ryan Erickson

Jun 23, 2010, 3:05:34 PM via App

yes the update will allow up to 8 devices to connect to your phone using wifi so they can receive internet

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Jun 23, 2010, 3:46:24 PM via Website

The speed increase will definitely be a big help. As for the mobile hotspot feature, the HTC EVO 4G already has that feature while running Android 2.1 if I'm not mistaken. Regardless, the mobile hotspot feature will indeed be amazing for phones that support that, and for people with data plans that can handle it.

Ryan Erickson

Jun 23, 2010, 5:39:22 PM via App

ya i dont want to have to pay an arm and a leg for this mobile hotspot deal. lets hope the speed improvements are everyhing that has been rumored im hoping the droid will receive a large speed increase haha

Budroux
  • Forum posts: 1

Jul 19, 2010, 12:20:52 PM via App

uh..my evo 2.1 already has pretty fast hotspot as is.

Teqnick
  • Forum posts: 14

Aug 19, 2010, 3:36:19 PM via App

I've got a rooted uk milestone on 2.1 and an app called 'wireless tether' and guess what, I can share my 10.7Mbps connection with 8 computers over wifi. its an adhoc connection however, not that I think it makes any difference. the end result is: switch on tether, get pc and scan for wireless networks and click connect. you can filter who uses your connection and who doesn't by clicking a checkbox on the phone. no 2.2 required and from what I understand the droid/milestone are physically incapable of providing a true wifi cloud. again, it doesn't matter as adhoc results in the same thing

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Aug 20, 2010, 11:13:46 AM via Website

The Samsung Galaxy I'm using now also has wireless tethering included as a feature. What's more, I think the HTC Wildfire got tethering a couple days ago from a soft-root method.

— modified on Aug 20, 2010, 11:14:19 AM