Problems with app "Shh! auto-silencer" and my new Motorola Droid

• Replies:5
Randy Donahue
  • Forum posts: 2

Jul 5, 2010, 4:25:23 AM via Website

It has almost totally silenced my incoming call ringer except when my wife calls, nobody else. Uninstalled it, took out the battery. Am trying to avoid having to do a hard reset. I've been using computer apps for 28 years (and hardware) but this takes the cake. It won't release the incoming call ringtone back to the phone unless I test the ringtone or my wife calss from her cell phone. None of the other exceptions can get through at any time, even when the Shh! app is ON or OFF.

PLEASE HELP, I'D LOVE THIS APP IF IT WORKED

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Jul 5, 2010, 5:02:42 AM via App

The fact that your wife's number rings would lead me to believe that she is probably the only person in your contacts with a custom ringtone.. if this is the case, chances are; your main ringtone is set to silent... not the phone set on silent.. but the ringtone itself (yes it's possible). So try changing your main ringtone to something else... and if you want a better timer apps.. try.."timeriffic" not only can it change the ringtone on/off.. but many other settings like WiFi, Bluetooth, brightness settings, airplane made etc. Let me know how it goes.

— modified on Jul 5, 2010, 5:05:56 AM

Randy Donahue
  • Forum posts: 2

Jul 5, 2010, 5:44:58 PM via Website

justJay
The fact that your wife's number rings would lead me to believe that she is probably the only person in your contacts with a custom ringtone.. if this is the case, chances are; your main ringtone is set to silent... not the phone set on silent.. but the ringtone itself (yes it's possible). So try changing your main ringtone to something else... and if you want a better timer apps.. try.."timeriffic" not only can it change the ringtone on/off.. but many other settings like WiFi, Bluetooth, brightness settings, airplane made etc. Let me know how it goes.

Thank you for your reply, but you are wrong on most counts:
1) I have 4 exceptions in my exception list, 'ALL with custom ringtones.
2) My phone is set to a custom ringtone, and I have set the incoming call ringtone to at least 6 different ringtone (It is not set to silent as the default ringtone or under sounds settings)
This app has taken total control of my incoming call ringtones and even when under the time settings it says that it is OFF (or ON) my phone is still silent.
Uninstalling the app after stopping it, then removing the battery for 30 minutes, putting it back in only showed that the app was gone, but my phone is only capable of silent or vibrate mode. I cannot get it back into "Normal" mode.
I have 28 years of intensive computer hardware/software experience, 15 years as a software (and occasionally hardware) beta-tester, so I am used to the normal troubleshooting things, but this is the first time I've seen an app take total control even after it's gone.
It's also sad that this app won't seem to let you view/edit your exception list. If there is a way please tell me.
Where would I get TIMERIFFIC if I need to?

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Jul 6, 2010, 4:56:19 AM via App

Well.. I just install this ssh app.. played with it abit.. found it lacking in usefulness.. uninstall and no problems after the fact. I too have many years under my belt in computer hardware and software.. and one thing I have found in all my years of trouble shooting.. is that sometimes it take far least time and energy to just wipe clean and start with a fresh install.. or in this case.. a hard reset.. I believe this to be one of those times. I reviewed many of the apps comments and didn't see your situation to be a trend. One thing you didn't state is whether your phone is rooted or not (which could play a part if it is).. or if you tried to contact the apps support team. As for where to get Timeriffic.. within the Android Market naturally.

— modified on Jul 6, 2010, 5:19:43 AM

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Jul 6, 2010, 10:33:23 AM via Website

I've been watching this thread since it opened, and I am going to agree with justJay that likely the easiest option may be to perform a reset. However, if you haven't done it yet, I would also recommend installing the app one more time, trying to correct the settings one more time, clearing the data cache, and then uninstalling. Then, if it still didn't work, do the reset after you have made sure all information needed is backed up.