NEW TO DROID

• Replies:6
aliyna hamid
  • Forum posts: 1

Jul 6, 2010, 6:34:37 PM via Website

I GOT THE LG OPTIMUS AND ITS BRILLIANT BUT THE FIRMWARE IS ONLY 1.6 IS THERE A WAY IN WHICH I COULD GET THE LATEST FIRMWARE OUT. AND IF I COULD WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE IN FIRMWARES? :D

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Jul 7, 2010, 1:29:22 PM via Website

I'm assuming this is your first Android phone? The phone's OS can be updated when your carrier and manufacturer approves an OS update for the device. Rooting a device is a method where you gain super-user permission to the device. After rooting (which can be a dangerous process for your device and result in ruining it), it is possible to install a different version of Android on your phone from an unofficial developer.

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Jul 7, 2010, 4:52:52 PM via App

...... Actually.. you can upgrade to pre-released "leaks" without rooting if there happens to be one available for your Android phone. I had done so on my HTC Eris which took me from 1.5 to 2.1 before it was officially released.

— modified on Jul 7, 2010, 7:28:16 PM

Douglas Carter

Jul 7, 2010, 6:28:31 PM via Website

lol...okay, let's try this again. Android 2.1, which is probably going to be the update for your phone, will bring lots of new features. However, you have to wait for the cellular companies and LG to release the update for your phone if you want to stay safe. Rooting your phone (Google it for info on what it is) may allow you to install a new version of Android before it is officially released, but it can be risky. Is that any clearer?

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Jul 7, 2010, 11:05:36 PM via App

aliyna hamid
I GOT THE LG OPTIMUS AND ITS BRILLIANT BUT THE FIRMWARE IS ONLY 1.6 IS THERE A WAY IN WHICH I COULD GET THE LATEST FIRMWARE OUT. AND IF I COULD WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE IN FIRMWARES? :D
Looking around the internet.. it seem that the Optimus is to receive an upgrade to 2.1 in August and then 2.2 towards the end of the year according to lg-phones.org http://www.lg-phones.org/lg-confirms-android-2-1-update-for-optimus-q-lu2300.html#more-5761

— modified on Jul 7, 2010, 11:15:30 PM

khairo
  • Forum posts: 63

Jul 8, 2010, 1:20:49 PM via App

justJay
...... Actually.. you can upgrade to pre-released "leaks" without rooting if there happens to be one available for your Android phone. I had done so on my HTC Eris which took me from 1.5 to 2.1 before it was officially released.
can u teach me how to do it...?

Douglas Carter

Jul 8, 2010, 3:59:29 PM via Website

He is right that often times there are pre-release leaks for a handset, and that you can install them without root. Have you found a pre-release leak of Android 2.1 for your phone? If not, then there is not much you can do except wait until someone makes one available.