• Replies:36
nick levy
  • Forum posts: 29

Jul 13, 2010, 4:43:17 AM via App

when is the update coming to the Motorola Droid

Ryan Erickson
  • Forum posts: 93

Jul 13, 2010, 9:20:57 PM via Website

Yes the rumor was role out was to begin today, however I have been reading up on it and many say a release today is unlikely. I have heard a more realistic time would be the end of august. Just keep in mind how many time the update for 2.1 was delayed. Hope this helps

Randy Merrell
  • Forum posts: 58

Jul 15, 2010, 11:55:00 AM via Website

Looks like it didn't happen as rumored. Not on my Droid at least. :( When it happens I'll be sure to come to Androidpit.

traviscannon
  • Forum posts: 8

Jul 16, 2010, 5:15:44 PM via Website

Will we get a message or what? How will we know the update is ready or will it just auto download?

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Jul 16, 2010, 6:16:14 PM via App

You will be notified that a system update is available on your device (An update screen will appear on your phone).
Press "Install now" and your device will power off and back on and the installation process will begin.

Note: If you choose "Install later" this will delay installation and you will be taken back to the home screen. The system update message will appear every 30 minutes until you install the update.

If you press "More Info..." you will receive more information regarding the system update on your device.

After you've received first notification of the system update you can manually initiate by going to "Home" > "Menu" > "Settings" > "About phone" > "System updates". Press "Restart & install". Your device will power off and back on and the installation process will begin.

The update has begun once your device powers off and back on...

System Update while You Are Roaming

If you are roaming you will not receive a system update notice. You will need to enable Wi-Fi and wait for the update notice to appear or as mentioned above you can manually update by by selecting "Home" > "Menu" > "Settings" > "About phone" > "System updates".

To enable Wi-Fi go to "Settings" > "Wireless & networks". Press "Wi-Fi" to enable.

To connect to an available "Wi-Fi network" select "Wi-Fi settings" and select an available an Wi-Fi network or manually add a Wi-Fi network that has had security settings established.

If the system update fails to install you will get the following error screen. However, this only means the software did not install properly. Remove and re-insert the battery and power the device back on. The device will power back on with original software and will prompt you once again to install the system update.

Copied from: http://support.vzw.com/how_to_use/droid_upgrade.html#a2

— modified on Jul 16, 2010, 6:30:24 PM

Randy Merrell

Aug 3, 2010, 12:11:02 PM via Website

It's official this time the Droid gets the update "this week". The rumor is today. :) I'll post here when I see it. Hope you will too.

Randy Merrell

Aug 4, 2010, 4:09:46 AM via App

Manual install. So far so good. checking out.

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Aug 4, 2010, 11:23:39 AM via Website

Awesome. So it is officially out, huh? You are encouraged to give us your in-depth opinions on the update, I may include it in a blog post if it gets put up in time.

Randy Merrell

Aug 4, 2010, 12:16:32 PM via Website

Speed: Noticeable improvements. Normal operation doesn't show it much because it was pretty quick before. You'll probably see it more in action games.
Apps: The camera app is much improved. With on screen controls for flash, zoom (slider control from 1 to 4 X), white balance, store location, focus & exposure. It seems to take pictures quicker also. The new Facebook app is much improved. You'll have to download it, and the Adobe Flash software from the Android Market.
Tethering: It's there but Verizon wants you to sign up for it. (Use PDAnet instead.)

That is all I can think of for now. Feel free to tell me things you would like to see checked.

Randy Merrell

Aug 4, 2010, 12:29:41 PM via Website

Also while in the Android Market pressing the menu - downloads - update all will update the apps you have that need updating.

Kerry Wagner
  • Forum posts: 32

Aug 5, 2010, 7:50:58 PM via App

Updated to 2.2 on my droid & reading all these posts about better speed, etc. My phone seems to be having reverse effect, noticing slower times with browser-dolphin hd, alot more fc's especially on my launcher which is launcher pro plus, apps. freezing, and with flash 10.1 have to tap an arrow on site to open up the flash part of site-this normal

Randy Merrell

Aug 5, 2010, 8:04:48 PM via Website

I don't use launcher pro plus. Maybe that program will need an update under 2.2. You might try going without it as a test. The only thing I run in the background is GDE themes.

Douglas Carter

Aug 6, 2010, 9:58:46 AM via Website

Expanding on Randy's suggestion, I would say check all of your apps for compatibility with Android 2.2. Did you find Flash on the market after the 2.2 installation, and install it regularly?

How is the phone's on-board storage doing? Have you tried moving apps to your SD card yet?

Kerry Wagner

Aug 6, 2010, 12:17:19 PM via App

No flash isn't in market, downloaded from megaupload. Yes was able to move a few apps to sd, not many apps allow this yet, hopefully developers will start updating their apps now that froyo out.

— modified on Aug 6, 2010, 12:20:14 PM

Douglas Carter

Aug 6, 2010, 12:40:29 PM via Website

make sure that the version of Flash you have is supposed to be used on FroYo, as I have heard that it can used on Android 2.1, and 2.2, so there might be a difference somehow.

Randy Merrell

Aug 6, 2010, 1:30:36 PM via Website

I have not loaded Flash yet, and I have not found a single program with the move to SD card button active. Maybe Flash is the problem. Is it true that the upgrade has been put on hold by Verizon? If so maybe that is the reason why.

Douglas Carter

Aug 6, 2010, 1:41:34 PM via Website

From what I have been reading, there have been some issues with the Droid FroYo update and Flash, and there might be another update coming out soon. As for the Apps2SDcard, I think that the developers have to choose to let you decide where the apps can go, so it might be awhile before most apps are updated so we can use the feature.

Kerry Wagner

Aug 6, 2010, 3:45:38 PM via App

I will, thanks

nick levy
  • Forum posts: 29

Aug 12, 2010, 8:15:10 AM via App

I don't get why my buddy got the new upgrade yesterday and I didn't

Douglas Carter

Aug 12, 2010, 12:12:18 PM via Website

the update comes out in groups, and his group was scheduled to get it before you. If you want to do a manual update, check out the blogs section, where I posted a walkthrough on how to get the update installed. Otherwise, you should be getting it today, tomorrow, or in a couple days time I would think.

Jrod W
  • Forum posts: 43

Aug 20, 2010, 2:11:54 AM via App

ok, just got my 2.2 ota and its build "FRG01B". wasn't the ota supposed to be "FRG22"?

Randy Merrell

Aug 20, 2010, 3:03:14 AM via Website

FRG01B is the version I manually installed. Kernel version 2.6.32.9-g103d848 android-build@apa26 #1.

Douglas Carter

Aug 20, 2010, 11:38:55 AM via Website

Jrod W
ok, just got my 2.2 ota and its build "FRG01B". wasn't the ota supposed to be "FRG22"?

That is an unsubstantiated rumor, and I have only seen one picture of it (the one which started the rumor), which may have been faked.

Jrod W
  • Forum posts: 43

Aug 20, 2010, 4:50:47 PM via App

ok, thanks Douglas for always being on top of things. On a side note, 2.2 stopped my phone from being A PHONE! I could do everything except complete a call. It seems that calling *228 option 2 was the fix.

khairo
  • Forum posts: 63

Aug 21, 2010, 11:40:37 AM via App

Douglas Carter
the update comes out in groups, and his group was scheduled to get it before you. If you want to do a manual update, check out the blogs section, where I posted a walkthrough on how to get the update installed. Otherwise, you should be getting it today, tomorrow, or in a couple days time I would think.

hey man , plz tell me i can manually update my milestone too !! :(

Douglas Carter

Aug 23, 2010, 12:18:53 PM via Website

The Milestone is a separate phone from the Droid. The Milestone is the European version, and the Android 2.2 Droid update will not work on the Motorola Milestone. Android 2.2 is coming, but the release date is currently unannounced.

Douglas Carter

Aug 23, 2010, 12:31:32 PM via Website

Randy Merrell
Read this kind of scary. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2368108,00.asp
Nothing has happened to my phone so far.

The article is about the Droid X Android 2.2 update, Motorola threatening people distributing the unofficial update, and talks about issues with installing custom ROMs? Do you have a Droid X now?

Randy Merrell

Aug 23, 2010, 12:56:59 PM via Website

No I don't have a Droid X. But the article says "According to an official statement by Motorola, If a device attempts to boot with unapproved software, it will go into recovery mode, and can re-boot once approved software is re-installed. " While the article is about specific models the statement uses the open ended "a device" wording. In addition it says "Checking for a valid software configuration is a common practice within the industry to protect the user against potential malicious software threats." That sound bigger than just two models to me. The good news is I have not read any accounts of this happening to anyone. Conversely I have read the statements by Droid X owners with the upgraded OS saying it has not happened to them.

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Aug 24, 2010, 8:00:11 AM via Website

This special recovery mode is only on the Droid X as far as I know... See Douglas' blog post about it here: https://www.nextpit.com/en/android/blog/392592/Locked-Down-Motorola-Droid-X-Launches

Also if you doing a manual update, but updating to the official release it makes no difference. It would only affect you if you were updating to a unofficial or mod'd release. A manual update to an officail release is still an official release.

— modified on Aug 24, 2010, 8:00:41 AM

Randy Merrell

Aug 24, 2010, 12:30:54 PM via Website

That is true now that it appears that everyone is getting FRG01B and not the FRG22 that had been rumored. Does yours also have Kernel version 2.6.32.9-g103d848 android-build@apa26 #1 ?