Screen Capture in Background.

• Replies:22
sridhar bandi
  • Forum posts: 9

Jul 26, 2010, 11:26:03 AM via Website

Hi.,
I had seen an app in this forum like drocap2. I want to develop an application like that which captures screen even when the application is running in background.please can one let me how to proceed..

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Jul 26, 2010, 3:59:35 PM via Website

From what I have read, your phone has to be rooted in order to take screen captures. If it is rooted, I can point you in the right direction from there.

sridhar bandi

Jul 26, 2010, 4:26:34 PM via Website

Hi Douglas
I want to develop a source code like an drocap2. Can u help me how to proceed..?

Douglas Carter

Jul 26, 2010, 5:35:19 PM via Website

I'll try and get some more detailed information in a bit, but for now, check out the XDA-Developers forum, and take a look for a rooting guide for your phone.

http://www.xda-developers.com/

— modified on Jul 26, 2010, 5:36:20 PM

Wyatt Yoss
  • Forum posts: 30

Jul 26, 2010, 6:11:32 PM via App

if you use the home++ beta, you can set the launcher to capture your home screen when you press your camera key. this doesnt require a root, but it only allows use when at home.

sridhar bandi

Jul 27, 2010, 6:06:30 AM via Website

Hi douglas,
My phone is already rooted. And I am running out of time friend, please guide me...

sridhar bandi

Jul 27, 2010, 6:07:17 AM via Website

Hi Wyatt Yoss,
Can i get the source code for home++ beta..?

sridhar bandi

Jul 28, 2010, 6:58:56 AM via Website

Hi
Duglas
thanks for your help.
i have used that Koush Screen capture.
But am getting broken pipe error..

Wyatt Yoss

Jul 30, 2010, 12:46:33 AM via App

home++ is an open beta that is available on the market, it will improve a lot over the next few months ive heard since still a "beta" and already supports scrollable widgets.

Douglas Carter

Jul 30, 2010, 11:10:21 AM via Website

Wyatt Yoss
home++ is an open beta that is available on the market, it will improve a lot over the next few months ive heard since still a "beta" and already supports scrollable widgets.

Does it allow screen capture or something?

@sridhar: Googleing how to take a screencapture is a good way to go from here, but maybe this one can help: http://www.androidcentral.com/taking-screenshots-without-root

Wyatt Yoss

Jul 31, 2010, 4:14:44 AM via App

yes, it allows screen capture while at your homescreen, and it is a great launcher, my second favorite to adw launcher.

aijin28
  • Forum posts: 53

Aug 15, 2010, 9:05:06 AM via Website

@Wyatt i installed the home++beta but i dont know how to screen cap..i keep pressing the camera button and nothings happening..maybe im doing it wrong

*edit*
ok im sorry i just found out how it works great app i like it, wish it can screenshot browsers and anything not just homescreen though

and btw what's this root thing i have been hearing it from you guys alot lately and i have no idea what it its..links anyone?

— modified on Aug 15, 2010, 10:30:55 AM

Douglas Carter

Aug 16, 2010, 11:49:56 AM via Website

Rooting...yeah. I'm going to have to make a thread on rooting one of these days so I don't have to explain it so often.

Rooting your phone is basically a process where you make yourself a "superuser" on your phone, allowing you to do pretty much whatever you want to, and install whatever you want to. It can be a dangerous process, and if the rooting process is not followed correctly, your phone can be ruined, or "bricked." Almost every phone has a different method for rooting, as they come from several manufacturers, and there are many models. To find a rooting app, you should search on the Android Market for the name of your phone + root. There may not be an app for that yet, though. Another way is to google "your phone's name" and "root method." I would assume your phone has already been rooted, but there is a small possibility it has not been done yet. Let me know if you get started, and what you find.

aijin28

Aug 16, 2010, 1:15:56 PM via Website

hmm i see..i dont know the real advantage of being a "superuser" but im kinda scared when you said there's a possibility it might get bricked. I did a little googling about how to root my phone and they all got this disclaimer about getting the phone bricked so i wont try it just yet but maybe if i need an app that requires to be rooted maybe i will try it later..and thanks for the explaination :)

aijin28

Sep 9, 2010, 1:25:55 PM via Website

@sridhar: Googleing how to take a screencapture is a good way to go from here, but maybe this one can help: http://www.androidcentral.com/taking-screenshots-without-root

i tried that tutorial i got stuck on the part where you open the ddms.bat because it cant detect my phone...any suggestions what im missing here? when i run the SDK Setup.exe it says "Failed to fetch URL https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/repository/repository.xml, reason: HTTPS SSL error. You might want to force download through HTTP in the settings."

i have installed the java req but not yet the eclipse..is the eclipse a req to install to run the sdk?

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Sep 10, 2010, 7:05:09 AM via Website

You can run the sdk/emulator without eclipse: https://www.nextpit.com/en/android/wiki/view/Developing_Android_Apps_without_Eclipse

But it's probably easier for the beginner to use eclipse.

To Force Download Through HTTP, click on settings on the list on the left side, then click force http, then save and apply. I've included a screenshot that shows it:

— modified on Sep 10, 2010, 7:05:59 AM

aijin28

Sep 20, 2010, 6:31:06 PM via Website

argh..so frustrating

thanks for the download tip i did it an it worked i got to update install the sdk, but i got lost again on the installation of usb driver..all these trouble for a homescreen shot -__- ..i guess i will stick to the home++ app much easier :D

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Sep 21, 2010, 7:18:36 AM via Website

I found info about how to get the usb drivers working on this forum: http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-lite/36561-adb-drivers-galaxy-spica.html
If your still interested in screen capturing more than just the home screen.

aijin28

Sep 21, 2010, 4:32:17 PM via Website

waaaa it worked!!! after agonizing hours of experimenting i managed to do it right, thanks Jeremiah for pointing that usb problem topic and not giving up on me :D

here's a proof of screen shot:

and the good thing here is you can screenshot everything not just the homescreen ^^

— modified on Sep 21, 2010, 4:34:34 PM

nomi
  • Forum posts: 1

Mar 21, 2013, 3:11:56 PM via Website

i have rooted phone google nexus s and i want to capture mobile screen with code in mobile
please help me

lilya lilya
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 5, 2013, 11:49:30 AM via Website

Hello,
I want to develop an application Android as your application which captures screen even when the application is running in background.
please let me how to proceed or send me an example or code.

Thank you