clogged Layers menu in Google Maps

• Replies:4
Christian Nasca
  • Forum posts: 6

Aug 3, 2010, 4:15:49 PM via Website

Hi, I'm relatively new to this. So please accept my apologies if this has been asked before:

In Google "Maps" all previously executed driving "Directions" remain stored as layers in the "Layers" menu. Is there a way to clear this history of driving directions? Most of them become obsolete, if needed only once, but they remain listed in the layers menu which is not beneficial to keep a clear overview of the actual working layers.

Please let me know, if my explanation was not clear enough. And thanks in advance for any help.

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Aug 3, 2010, 5:42:12 PM via Website

I had similar problems, but this worked for some:

go to settings-->applications-->manage applications, then press the menu button, then filter and finally select the "all" radio button.

You will then be presented with a list of ALL applications that is on your phone so be careful what you do with them! Anyways, maps will now be in that list and you can proceed to clear data & clear cache which clears all searches AND resets Google Maps to its FACTORY defaults. Make sure you remove all updates.

There is not really any other way to do something about this as of now.

— modified on Aug 3, 2010, 5:46:23 PM

Christian Nasca

Christian Nasca

Aug 3, 2010, 7:18:12 PM via Website

A thousand thanks, Douglas!

That did the trick for me. Although I hope that there will be some kind of "clear history" button in Maps some day...

I'm not sure what you mean by: "Make sure you remove all updates." - There were no updates. But if there would have been updates, why would I have to remove them? And how would I get those updates back onto my phone again?

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Aug 4, 2010, 11:10:00 AM via Website

When you first got your handset, you probably updated Google Maps. In fact, I am almost sure you did because you have navigation. I said to make sure you remove the updates, and not just delete the cached data. For some, deleting the cached data was enough, but I had to uninstall all the updates as well, and then reinstall them.

If you haven't reupdated Google Maps, go into the Android Market, hit menu, go to downloads, and you can update any app that has an update available.

— modified on Aug 4, 2010, 11:10:44 AM

Christian Nasca

Aug 4, 2010, 6:15:54 PM via Website

I checked again, but couldn't identify any Google Maps update on my phone. Also couldn't find an update in the Market. The version installed is Maps 4.2.0. I have cleared data as you described and everything seems to be fine now. Directions is still working.

By the way, I found this app in the Market:
https://www.nextpit.com/en/android/market/apps/app/jp.androdev.historyeraser/HistoryEraser

Looks like a tool for this purpose, although it speaks of the search history only, not the Directions history in the Layers menu. Maybe I will install it...