MO-Call - Android Mobile VoIP

• Replies:36
Ving Chou
  • Forum posts: 25

Sep 28, 2010, 6:41:02 AM via Website

Hi guys.

I would like to introduce you to MO-Call, which is a popular, free to download Android Mobile VoIP app that enables you to make cheap local and international calls, send low cost SMS and make VoIP calls. MO-Call is supported on over 2000 mobile headsets and is used in over 150 countries.

You can download MO-Call for free from the Android Market if you search for "MO-Call" or you can download MO-Call directly. If you have any comments or feedback, that would be great :) Happy MO-Calling!!

— modified on Sep 28, 2010, 6:49:03 AM

Ving Chou

Oct 8, 2010, 6:38:34 AM via Website

Hi all,

Any members had the opportunity to give the MO-Call app a go? I'd be keen to hear feedback or comments.

Thanks,

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Oct 13, 2010, 2:37:14 PM via Website

To be honest, I haven't tried it because I have no data plan (only prepaid) and here in Germany, making calls from a cellphone is pretty expensive off contract. Using data off contract is also expensive...The app just isn't something I need right now. I'll try and give it a go once I have signed up onto a data plan.

— modified on Oct 13, 2010, 2:38:09 PM

Ving Chou

Oct 14, 2010, 4:35:19 AM via Website

Douglas Carter
To be honest, I haven't tried it because I have no data plan (only prepaid) and here in Germany, making calls from a cellphone is pretty expensive off contract. Using data off contract is also expensive...The app just isn't something I need right now. I'll try and give it a go once I have signed up onto a data plan.

Hi Douglas, you would only need a data plan if you make VoIP calls over 3G/Wi-Fi over your mobile network operator. Alternatively, you could make VoIP calls using your home Internet/Wi-Fi network. You can find a list of VoIP supported mobile headsets. Don't worry if you can't find your mobile headset as I can provide you the SIP settings once you have registered a MO-Call account, which carries the call over the MO-Call network.

Do you get charged for receiving calls? You could use the MO-Call callback feature where MO-Call will call you back and connect your call.

If you have registered a MO-Call account, I'd be happy to apply some free credit to anyone who wants to trial the service so please let me know.

justJay
I went to the website.. the HTC Eris wasn't listed.

At present, MO-Call is supported on over 2050 mobile phone headsets but is not supported for the HTC Eris. We will look at supporting this very soon so I'll keep you updated. Do you have a spare phone? maybe you could try installing on to that?

Ving Chou

Oct 14, 2010, 5:58:44 AM via Website

justJay
I see it supports the HTC Hero.. it shouldn't be to different to add support for Eris.. basically the same phone.

We will be looking to update the application very soon. But in the meantime if you have the opportunity, you can install the HTC Hero version and let me know what you think. I'd be happy to credit your account for you can test the application and I'd be keen to hear any comments or feedback you can provide.

Thanks!

— modified on Oct 14, 2010, 8:41:56 AM

Ving Chou

Oct 14, 2010, 6:22:33 AM via Website

justJay
Ok.. tried to register using my Android phone.. didn't work.. said customer service will contact me within 24 hours.

What's your username? If you prefer, you can email me directly here: ving.chou@morodo.org so I can get your account up and running :)

Ving Chou

Oct 14, 2010, 6:34:56 AM via Website

justJay
justjay

Hi Jay,

Your account is now active with some credit for you to test. You check your online account here: http://www.mo-call.com/en/user/login.php

Let me know if you experience any problems or have any comments.

Ving Chou

Oct 14, 2010, 6:44:54 AM via Website

justJay
Thanks for the super fast replies.. I'm impressed already and haven't even made a call yet. I'll try to call my friend in England tomorrow from here in the USA

No problem Jay. Let me know how you get on. Look forward to your feedback.
Cheers!

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Oct 14, 2010, 7:08:57 AM via App

Tell me more about the SMS feature... can it be used to send sms text msg to someone on a different carrier.. for example.. I'm on Verizon (on only get 500 outside of Verizon's network messages to send/receive) and I have a friend on Sprint that gets unlimited texting to anyone.. would this feature help me in this type of situation.

Ving Chou

Oct 14, 2010, 7:34:06 AM via Website

justJay
Tell me more about the SMS feature... can it be used to send sms text msg to someone on a different carrier.. for example.. I'm on Verizon (on only get 500 outside of Verizon's network messages to send/receive) and I have a friend on Sprint that gets unlimited texting to anyone.. would this feature help me in this type of situation.

Hi Jay,

Yes it would help you in this regard as the low cost SMS feature can be used to send an SMS to anyone, anywhere in the world. How much do you usually get charged by Verizon when you are outside your 500 bundle?

We added the SMS feature to Android only last month, which you can read more about on the MO-Call Blog.

I have also replied to your email.

— modified on Oct 14, 2010, 7:34:40 AM

Ving Chou

Oct 14, 2010, 8:43:00 AM via Website

justJay
What is it with England.. it seems that they are never listed in any of the special rates. What will it cost me to call England from USA?

Hi Jay,

When you say England, do you mean the United Kingdom? If yes, it is listed under "United Kingdom".

Hope that helps.

— modified on Oct 14, 2010, 8:46:41 AM

Ving Chou

Oct 15, 2010, 8:05:56 AM via Website

Douglas Carter
My username is Dougalachi and I signed up about 5 minutes ago.

Hi Douglas,

You account is active and I've credited your account with some credit :D

Douglas Carter

Oct 15, 2010, 10:05:31 AM via Website

Sounds good, I'll try and give it a go later today. Unfortunately, the new version of my favorite PC game is also released later today, so...not much is going to get done today :D

Ving Chou

Oct 15, 2010, 10:18:05 AM via Website

Douglas Carter
Sounds good, I'll try and give it a go later today. Unfortunately, the new version of my favorite PC game is also released later today, so...not much is going to get done today :D

No problem Douglas. Just let me know when you have the opportunity to test it out. What PC game you getting?

Douglas Carter

Oct 15, 2010, 10:54:51 AM via Website

Well, I played Battlefield 2 for a very long time, then I found a free modification for it called Project Reality several years ago. I have been playing that as my main game ever since. Today they release a new version of the game: 0.95. Every few months they change the game some and add new content. I think I joined around 0.3, and the revisions usually go like this: 0.3, 0.35, 0.4, 0.45, 0.5, 0.52, 0.6, and so on. If you have a decent gaming computer and like military shooters and are looking for more reality in your games, I cannot recommend anything better. The developers are also working porting the game style onto ARMA2 and make their own stand-alone game which will cost money to purchase.

— modified on Oct 15, 2010, 10:56:00 AM

Ving Chou

Oct 15, 2010, 11:00:17 AM via Website

Cool. Well I hope you have a good weekend and get the opportunity to test out the app over the weekend. Hope you have a good weekend :)

Alexis Cramatte
  • Forum posts: 2

Oct 18, 2010, 9:24:40 PM via Website

Hi,

I've been trying this app for 1 or 2 weeks now and from what I have seen so far, I would say the Mo-Call service is good but the way the application itself works is a bit hard to understand.

I have to admit that i'm new to Mobile VoIP so i may have missed something but what i don't like is that i have to edit almost all my contacts because they don't have the +41(in my case) in front of their numbers. Plus I still don't understand the "Exclude calls to" on the main screen.

One other thing is regarding SMS. The Phonebook only shows my gmail contacts, is there any way to access phone/SIM contacts ?

I'm testing the application on my computer right now. It works great but i wish the Android's app was as cool as this one.

Again i'm new to your service so i'm not gonna rate the app until i know how it works.

Looking forward to your reply.

Ving Chou

Oct 19, 2010, 10:55:16 AM via Website

Alexis Cramatte
Hi,

I've been trying this app for 1 or 2 weeks now and from what I have seen so far, I would say the Mo-Call service is good but the way the application itself works is a bit hard to understand.

I have to admit that i'm new to Mobile VoIP so i may have missed something but what i don't like is that i have to edit almost all my contacts because they don't have the +41(in my case) in front of their numbers. Plus I still don't understand the "Exclude calls to" on the main screen.

One other thing is regarding SMS. The Phonebook only shows my gmail contacts, is there any way to access phone/SIM contacts ?

I'm testing the application on my computer right now. It works great but i wish the Android's app was as cool as this one.

Again i'm new to your service so i'm not gonna rate the app until i know how it works.

Looking forward to your reply.

Hi Alexis.

I'm glad to hear you are liking the service so far. We are looking to revamp the MO-Call app soon so it's a little more user friendly. You brought up some valid points, which we'll work on and include in future updates.

To answer some of your questions, the Exclude Calls tells MO-Call which countries it shouldn’t re-route calls to. By default, MO-Call will set this to the country you’re in currently so that only your international calls, and not your national calls, are re-routed.

Regarding the SMS issue, What phone are you using?

Alexis Cramatte
  • Forum posts: 2

Oct 20, 2010, 8:48:53 PM via Website

Hi,

Ving Chou

To answer some of your questions, the Exclude Calls tells MO-Call which countries it shouldn’t re-route calls to. By default, MO-Call will set this to the country you’re in currently so that only your international calls, and not your national calls, are re-routed.

Hooo ok i get it now. That surprise me though because even for national calls it's still much cheaper to use the MO-Call service (at least for me).

Ving Chou
Regarding the SMS issue, What phone are you using?

I'm using an HTC Hero with Android 2.1

Ving Chou

Oct 21, 2010, 11:52:10 AM via Website

Hi Alexis,

I've just had a test of MO-Call app on the HTC Hero and the phonebook only accesses contacts from the phone and not the sim card but we'll be looking to address this in a future update. I'm not sure why the phone only shows your Gmail contacts. It should show the contact numbers associated with each contact.

Ving Chou

Nov 4, 2010, 7:41:24 AM via Website

Hi guys,

I was just wondering how everyone was getting on with the MO-Call app. I'd be keen to hear any comments or feedback from people who have tested the application.

many thanks,

Ving Chou

Dec 2, 2010, 11:19:03 AM via Website

MO-Call now supported for the HTC Desire Z and HTC Desire HD :)

Ving Chou

Jan 7, 2011, 10:01:23 AM via Website

For users lucky enough to order the Samsung Google Nexus S, MO-Call is now supported for the new Android 2.3, Gingerbeard.

Ving Chou

Feb 21, 2011, 3:22:05 PM via Website

Hi everyone,

Just want to inform you, that MO-Call released the new MO-Call build for Android. The new application features VoIP calling via Wi-Fi and 3G. This means the new application allows the user to dial directly over VoIP using a Wi-Fi access point or use the mobile networks operator’s 3G data channel.

The new MO-Call app for Android comes with a bunch of other new features, low-cost SMS, brand new and intuitive interface and improved usability.
You can download it directly from MO-Call website or from Android marketplace.

Waiting for your feedback!:D

— modified on Feb 21, 2011, 3:22:52 PM

Ving Chou

Feb 22, 2011, 5:09:25 PM via Website

Hi Douglas,

Many thanks for the feedback. Yes, app is working on Nexus S, did you maybe try MO-Call app on Nexus S?
The feedback will be very welcome:)

About Honeycomb, I can tell you that we have plans for the future, you will be informed on time.:)

Ving Chou

Jun 15, 2011, 4:13:06 PM via Website

Hi everyone,

New build for MO-Call Android VoIP app is released, (2.1.0 version) with bunch of new features. Some of them are:
  • Added option to send top-up requests via Internet
  • Added call rates to calling mode selection screen (only if you have Internet connection)
  • Added SMS rates to Send SMS screen (only if you have Internet connection)
  • Extended character set support (e.g. Chinese language). Please, note that these messages are limited to 70 characters!!!
  • Added links to MO-Call Facebook and Twitter pages
  • Added post-call information: duration, charged amount, etc. (only if you have Internet connection)

For more info you can visit MO-Call Blog of Facebook page. Would be great to hear how do you like it. :grin:

Ving Chou

Aug 22, 2011, 12:03:29 PM via Website

vinaykrypton
Hiii thank you friend for the nice information . it is really helpful for me .Thanks from Android Mobile Application Development India

Team, KryptonSoft, India

Hi KryptonSoft Team,

Did you have a chance to try the application? Looking forward to hearing from you back.

Cheers!