Hello - new member

• Replies:5
marty lk
  • Forum posts: 5

Oct 5, 2010, 7:05:37 AM via Website

Hi everyone. I am new and have an Android phone. Actually it is a WinMo phone running Android. The Nexus One Froyo build with the T-Mobile G2 launcher.

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Oct 12, 2010, 1:06:37 PM via Website

Hello Marty! Welcome to AndroidPIT! What kind of phone do you have exactly, and how does the porting of Android onto your WinMo device work? Any bugs? I look forward to having discussions with all new members in the forums. You are also encourage to take a look at the links in my signature.

marty lk

Oct 12, 2010, 9:51:25 PM via Website

Thanks for the welcome :)

I have a T-Mobile US HTC HD2 with a custom version of WinMo 6.5 Pro from Energy ROM dev. Using Android on the HD2 is nothing more than copying the custom developed Android build to a MicroSD card and running Android on the HD2 from that. There are a lot of card-based Android version available on XDA but, so far, I have only encountered 2 that work almost as well as a factory job. They aren't without bugs, though. But for the most part are useful enough for every day usage.

marty lk

Oct 13, 2010, 12:48:43 AM via Website

Since your friend has an HD2, visiting the HD2 Android section of XGA devs will make him/her a fanatic about the HD2. It has me. In fact, and because of the ability to use other mobile OSs on the HD2 and XDA itself, I find the HD2 to be the absolute best phone in the world. Not just me, though, ppl who visit and see all the development at XDA wish they either owned or hadn't gotten rid of the HD2. Right now I am using an Android build dev'd by Tytung over at XDA that is turning out to be as good as the actual G2.

There are a number of launchers for the Android from various factory phones that can be used with the HD2 Android builds. With a factory Android job, you are limited to what it has built-in...unless you come across custom ROMs to flash it with. But with these card-based builds, you can potentially experience various other phones, like a Droid-X or the G2 or the Evo and so forth. It's only limited by what the devs actually own or gain access to as to what phone version becomes available for use in a card-based build for the HD2. It seems the HTC Desire and Nexus One are the most predominant builds because those who dev own those phones and are able to dump their memory for use in developing HD2 builds.