Free Android App for the history buff in all of us. Lets you hear historical markers as you drive by.

• Replies:9
dave moreau
  • Forum posts: 5

Oct 14, 2010, 3:10:50 AM via Website

Hi. I made an app that combines history and technology. It’s called Georeader (search under Georeader in the Android market). It allows one to write a short message (such as a historical sign’s text) and assign it to a gps location. When a user enters the area, the text is spoken on their phone. I was able to collect over 111,000 points covering roadside markers , historical bridges, even ufo sighting locations and have added them to the data base. It includes states such as Texas, Virginia, Georgia, Oregon, Michigan, and Pennsylvania's entire historical roadside marker collections plus a ton of other points to hear all over the country and even in Canada. You can also make your own points and assign them to any location worldwide. These will be instantly added to the database for all to hear. They can be on almost any topic you like and its a great way to share your knowledge of local history with the rest of the world. Anyhoo, the website is at www.mygeoreader.com for even more info. It's a free app so there is nothing to lose. Please try it out. Thanks! Dave

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Oct 14, 2010, 5:15:48 AM via App

Very cool app.. just downloaded and use driving across town.. it gave me info on historic churches, and buildings.. as well as history about historic people and events in my area.. I must say.. I'm very impressed with this app.

The one feature I would like to see is a way to choose what type of info to hear about; like, just buildings, or famous events etc.

— modified on Oct 14, 2010, 5:17:12 AM

dave moreau

Oct 14, 2010, 12:27:46 PM via Website

justJay
Very cool app.. just downloaded and use driving across town.. it gave me info on historic churches, and buildings.. as well as history about historic people and events in my area.. I must say.. I'm very impressed with this app.

The one feature I would like to see is a way to choose what type of info to hear about; like, just buildings, or famous events etc.

Thank you for your nice review. That filter option will be "on the list" for the next update. Thanks. Dave

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Oct 14, 2010, 4:41:59 PM via Website

It looks interesting. In the auto-reply confirmation email, the "Love" ending part of the message is a bit too familiar for my tastes, but I have no real problem with it. IT doesn't want to work for Berlin, Germany. Likely because no-one has inputted any historical events/locations yet.

dave moreau

Oct 15, 2010, 3:05:18 AM via Website

Douglas Carter
It looks interesting. In the auto-reply confirmation email, the "Love" ending part of the message is a bit too familiar for my tastes, but I have no real problem with it. IT doesn't want to work for Berlin, Germany. Likely because no-one has inputted any historical events/locations yet.

Hi. You are correct about there being nothing in Germany at this time. You are certainly welcome to be the first to create one for this country. I think it should work but if you can verify this it would be so very helpful. (create a talking point near where you are at and let me know, there is a video on the website www.mygeoreader if you need it) If you tell me the city you are near, I could add some points from here ( NY) to to see how it does over there.

I guess this request also goes for anybody else in a country or area where there isn't initially any talking points nearby, Please create a talking point to see if it works and tell me a city or area to put some points around and we can see how it does all around the world.
Thanks.

My email is info@mygeoreader.com

Billy Gatez
  • Forum posts: 1

Apr 14, 2011, 5:16:21 PM via Website

Really cool app! Congrats!

Also, for history buffs but facebook fans as well: http://whatstoday.org/

Cheers!

dave moreau

Apr 15, 2011, 3:10:50 AM via Website

Thanks for the nice words and the link to the history site. I'll check it out.