RE: Android or Windows?

• Replies:2
Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Oct 19, 2010, 2:22:35 PM via Website

I would first ask you what you want to be able to do with your phone and what is important to you in a phone. In addition, I will tell you that any handset running Windows 6.5 is now outdated, as Windows 7 handsets are beginning to be released pretty much now.

Android handsets, which this website is centered on, are multi-functional devices which can do so many things. The ability to access an app store is a big strength in what makes a smartphone great. I will tell you that due to the way the Android OS is distributed, there can be frustrations after you have bought your phone. Make sure you do research on the phone before you buy it, to make sure any buyer's remorse will be at a minimum. Apple makes 2 iPhone models that run on iOS. There are dozens of Android phones made by various manufacturers that Google has some, little, or no control over. Therefore, the experience you have from your handset can vary widely. Price is often a decent yardstick (at least in regards to Android phones) of how easy an experience you will have with a device and a company. The cheaper the phone, the more likely it is that there are lesser quality parts and less quality control during production. It may also be a good indication of the quality of customer service you can expect.

The iPhone will be very simple to use, because it was designed to be that way. I can't say much about Windows Mobile 7 as it hasn't been out for long and I haven't been giving it much attention, other than they are stressing simplified UIs as well.

What I can tell you is that the Android phone you are looking at is a knock-off of an HTC phone built by some Chinese company. I have heard enough bad stories about Chinese copies of popular phones that I will advise you strongly to stay away from buying one. If you can tell me where you live and what provider you have, I can make some safer recommendations.

Companies that I would have little problem recommending would be Motorola, Samsung, HTC, LG, Sony Ericsson, and possibly Huawei. However, even then, you cannot only trust the company's name. There are so many version of Android (1.5, 1.6, 2.1, 2.2) and so much different hardware that researching beforehand is necessary (at least in my opinion.)

So, where do we start?

— modified on Oct 19, 2010, 2:28:55 PM

plec edward
  • Forum posts: 1

Oct 28, 2010, 3:39:04 AM via Website

OK,thanks for your reply.I will take care to choose one.......anyway it is said that Android is better..:):):):):):):lol:

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Oct 28, 2010, 2:26:15 PM via Website

Do you only want to buy from one of those 3 companies (HTC, Apple, or China company)? If so, I would recommend HTC for the best Android experience of the three. If you are willing to buy from more than those three companies, take a look at Samsung, Motorola, Huawei, LG, and Dell.

If you really want to go with HTC and have a lot of money to spend, then I recommend taking a look at the HTC Desire, Desire Z, or Desire HD. They are all good phones, but the quality level means they are fairly expensive. Some mid-level Android phones are the HTC Legend or Aria. Anything other from HTC (unless you are in the USA) I would not recommend.