Wifi Tethering on EVO?

• Replies:3
Chelsea Frazier
  • Forum posts: 2

Nov 7, 2010, 7:18:26 PM via Website

Ive recently rooted my phone and installed Barnacle and Wireless Tethering. for some reason though my computer wont connect properly. any helpful advice? ima n00b at this right now so laymans terms would be nice :)

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Nov 8, 2010, 3:06:28 PM via Website

How noob could you be? If you've already rooted, you should at least have some experience, even if it was one of those 1-click root methods. Have you checked out the comments of the app? Those can be very revealing. If there are lots of comments from EVO owners that the app doesn't work for them, then the problem might rest with the app itself. The comments for the app on the Android Market seem to hint that the EVO has problems with the app, as well as some people with various computer types: https://www.nextpit.com/en/android/market/apps/app/net.szym.barnacle/Barnacle-Wifi-Tether#commentsLang_en_start

However, going on the assumption that you are doing something wrong or don't know how it works, check out the site for the app here: http://szym.net/barnacle/

Once the app is installed, you run the app, and then go to your computer and look for a network called barnacle or something like that. What kind of computer are you using to try and connect?

Chelsea Frazier
  • Forum posts: 2

Nov 8, 2010, 7:50:41 PM via Website

i actually had looked all that up but wasnt finding any answers. i did run it and tried to connect, encrypted it, unencrypted it, changed the password, the frequency, pretty much everything but neither Barnacle nor Wireless Tethering for Root Users would allow windows 7 to connect. i had usb tethering before and had no real problems connecting.

i did however install the "experimental" version of Wireless Tethering for Root Users off of google and its working just fine now. im thinking that because the root for EVO 2.2 is still new and somethings still need to be tweaked in the root apps. thanks for the assistance though. :ph34r:

— modified on Nov 8, 2010, 7:55:19 PM