Keyboard solution?

• Replies:7
Jason Wield
  • Forum posts: 2

Nov 29, 2010, 7:41:12 AM via Website

Hey, i just got the desire z today and didnt realize the keyboard was gonna b an issue. i was thinking about supergluing the two pieces together firmly and elect to just not use the slide at all. I use the keypad on the screen anyway. do u guys think that will work well? or have a better solution in mind?

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Nov 29, 2010, 10:52:19 AM via Website

Does the top keep falling back onto the keyboard? That sucks. I was thinking about buying the phone as well, but fear of that same problem kept me away. I haven't really heard of an internal hardware fix for it, and software will obviously not help, so you are basically left with three options:

Return it for a different phone
Deal with it like it is now
Make some sort of solution using glue/tape/etc.

If you do end up trying to return it, I recommend that you look into options other than the Desire HD. My big gripe with that phone is the tiny battery that HTC put inside. Nowhere near enough power in my opinion.

— modified on Nov 29, 2010, 10:53:51 AM

Jason Wield
  • Forum posts: 2

Nov 29, 2010, 7:03:12 PM via Website

right not its not a big issue, i cant really tell its there. but im thinkin for more in the future, if it does get really lose its an option. it does look like its entirley possible to glue the four corners down so well see. also, in terms of returning the phone, can u exchange the phone for a similar priced one easily? do you have to sing a new contrac t or somthing? I am with bell and literally just got the htc desire z yesterday.

Thanks

Douglas Carter

Nov 29, 2010, 7:18:00 PM via Website

I would think if you are not happy with your phone, the sooner you go back and ask for an exchange/refund on the phone, the better. I cannot say for sure if they will take the phone back, but many cellular providers give users several days, if not weeks, to try the phone. If you do want to try, I recommend (after looking at Bell's available phones) the Samsung Vibrant. It should be running Android 2.2 as well in a matter of a couple weeks, and has a stationary 4" screen. That may be more of what you are looking for.

Arman Farmi Abdul Rahim
  • Forum posts: 1

Dec 6, 2010, 4:14:22 PM via Website

Damn. I also does not realise the keyboard will be the issue here. I just bought G2 today and I feel very bad. Ive been thinking to replace it with HTC 7 tommorrow. haih :(

Matthew Dobson
  • Forum posts: 1

Dec 31, 2010, 7:35:49 PM via Website

I'm surprised by the problems people are having with the keyboard on this phone. I've had it for about a month now and LOVE it. Mine absolutely DOES NOT open when it shouldn't. Depending on how you're holding it, particularly when passing the phone to someone who hasn't held it before, it may *close* accidentally. Overall, I'm quite impressed with the "Z" hinge on the keyboard and think that HTC has done a wonderful job engineering this phone. I bought it specifically because it has a hardware keyboard, but if you don't want a hardware keyboard you should get the Desire HD. The Desire HD is the *exact* same phone, but with a slightly faster CPU (1000MHz vs 800MHz) and a slightly bigger screen (but same resolution) and no hardware keyboard.

Douglas Carter

Dec 31, 2010, 7:45:12 PM via Website

and a smaller battery. and a lot of other things. I liked the Desire Z a lot as well. I thought a lot about purchasing one, but I heard too many complaints about the keyboard closing at inopportune times to trust it. Otherwise, it looks like a great phone.