Samsung Galaxy Tab — video calls

• Replies:35
WTF
  • Forum posts: 19

Dec 7, 2010, 2:27:17 AM via Website

does somebody know how to switch between the cameras in yahoo messenger? on my galaxy tab i get only the main camera to run, a bit useless for videochatting....

somebody can help? alternatives? any othe client to communicate to pc`s?

best regards!

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Dec 7, 2010, 4:11:02 PM via Website

Have you tried Fring or Qik? I don't know for sure if they work for phone to PC or not. Regarding the front facing camera, go into your camera app, and then go into the camera settings. You should be able to access the front facing camera from there.

WTF

Dec 7, 2010, 5:17:21 PM via App

thanx douglas!

the problem is that i can't switch it in yahoo messenger. in the normal camera app it works well.

fring doesn't work with any pc messenger. and qik is really too much beta on pc.

so if someone has got another idea?

— modified on Dec 7, 2010, 5:18:28 PM

Douglas Carter

Dec 7, 2010, 7:04:06 PM via Website

Is there a forum moderated by Yahoo to discuss the yahoo messenger app? If so, maybe other individuals with the Galaxy Tab have posted up the answer to your problem.

WTF

Dec 8, 2010, 1:22:16 AM via App

hi douglas,

seems that you trying to keep the spirit up here answering my questions (not really with answers).

but i must say, that "i haven't found i was looking for".

i think it isn't right to tell people with serious questions to go into the wild (other boards) to get answers. i'm not that stupid that i havn't tried it anyway.

best regards.

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Dec 8, 2010, 6:22:37 AM via Website

WTF
hi douglas,

seems that you trying to keep the spirit up here answering my questions (not really with answers).

i think it isn't right to tell people with serious questions to go into the wild (other boards) to get answers. i'm not that stupid that i havn't tried it anyway.

best regards.

No need to be contrite, he's trying to help.
It's probably that you can't switch the camera in yahoo messenger then, if even the yahoo messenger board does not know!

Edit: I searched the yahoo forums and this is the only info I could find:

u can go to menu then video calling option or u can even turn on cam then go to settings and change camera, u can use ur phone as mirror, : )

Have you tried opening the normal camera app and switching it there?

— modified on Dec 8, 2010, 6:32:00 AM

ireneL
  • Forum posts: 114

Dec 8, 2010, 8:38:03 AM via Website

WTF
hi douglas,

best regards.

No need for the "Tude" Dude, he is just trying to help you.... And if you would have taken the time and read around the forum, then you would had have an idea who Douglas is.... Having said that have you tried this site yet? http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&id=SLN463&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1291792939520&y=PROD_MSNG this should answear the majority of your question, and hey you can ask a live yahoo tech support to answear your nagging question.... :-)

English is my second Language :-)

Douglas Carter

Dec 8, 2010, 2:24:35 PM via Website

We have people new to Android coming in our forums all the time with no smartphone experience, so unless a user specifically tells me what steps they have tried so far, I start from the most likely fixes first. An "Occam's Razor" approach where the most simple fixes are tried first, and then moving onto the harder and harder ways until the solution is found.

Can you imagine how often a simple Google search can solve a question? I can, as I do it all the time.

Specifically onto your problem, I don't have a Galaxy Tab at my disposal, or any phone with a front facing camera. In fact, I dont even have a phone with Android 2.1 or 2.2 (or 2.3), so I can only help you up to the point where the device is needed in front of me. If the steps below still can't answer your question, I'd suggest contacting the app developer, as they know how the app functions. However, I think that Irene's answer answers your question.

WTF

Dec 8, 2010, 9:14:58 PM via App

hi guys,

sorry, i didn't want to be rude. especially to you doug, sorry, i didn't want to be mean. but its a kind of way i am. straight saying what i'm thinking.

i have tried everything you told me till now, also i have consulted the prob in several boards.

the conclusion is, that there is no app till now which meets all the requirements you will need to make an easy video conversation to another platform like a pc. thats the reason i posted here, maybe somebody knows more in here.
it's sad, but probably all tab users have to wait another firmware is coming up. what i readed all overe were that 2.3 will support this much better.
so lets wait. i bought the tab for that reason. i thought, that it would be much easier with it to keep in touch with my 2years old.daughter and my wife on my long travels, so my daughter at least could see me. ok, than i will keep with pc the conversations until skype will switch on this functionality.

best regards

ireneL

Dec 9, 2010, 3:27:01 AM via Website

WTF
hi guys,

sorry, i didn't want to be rude. especially to you doug, sorry, i didn't want to be mean. but its a kind of way i am. straight saying what i'm thinking.

i have tried everything you told me till now, also i have consulted the prob in several boards.

the conclusion is, that there is no app till now which meets all the requirements you will need to make an easy video conversation to another platform like a pc. thats the reason i posted here, maybe somebody knows more in here.
it's sad, but probably all tab users have to wait another firmware is coming up. what i readed all overe were that 2.3 will support this much better.
so lets wait. i bought the tab for that reason. i thought, that it would be much easier with it to keep in touch with my 2years old.daughter and my wife on my long travels, so my daughter at least could see me. ok, than i will keep with pc the conversations until skype will switch on this functionality.

best regards

Simple misunderstanding, chalk it down to our ever increasing stressful lifestyle.lol

the site below gives a little more detail instruction that may interest you, your gonna have to do some reading, well you know what i mean, but i can certainly sympathice on wanting to communicate with love ones when you were not able to be with them in person.... *G*
http://www.ehow.com/how_5193194_make-conference-call-yahoo-messenger.html

Might want to check this one out also...
http://phandroid.com/2010/09/17/video-chat-demoed-on-the-samsung-galaxy-tab-video/

If the above step was not able to achive your goal, next step is rooting...lol
Goodluck....

Edit- it just now down on me that you're already doing the pc conference call, Duh!lol
Have you tried doing the suggestion on the second site?

— modified on Dec 9, 2010, 4:07:27 AM

WTF

Dec 9, 2010, 10:04:35 AM via Website

hi irene,

from tab to tab it might work, and both programms fring and qik will be able to do so. but its not working to a pc client (didn´t get qik on pc running).

my prob is, that in yahoo messenger appears the icon to switch camara, but it´s grey and doesn´t work.

problem of fring is, that google talk and yahoo doesn´t rcognize video calls. there open just chat windows with crazy written stuff on it.

so i´m going on for searching....

Douglas Carter

Dec 9, 2010, 1:34:43 PM via Website

Yeah, gingerbread is supposed to come with native video call support, if I remember correctly. Once your Tab gets Gingerbread, I imagine you will have a much easier time with video calls to a PC.

WTF

Dec 9, 2010, 2:14:27 PM via App

just gave movicha a try, result is the same.

Douglas Carter

Dec 9, 2010, 2:39:19 PM via Website

It might be a good idea to start making a list of what apps you have tried and haven't worked, so we know not to suggest something you know doesn't work.

I'm assuming you've tried:
  • Fring
  • Tango
  • Qik
  • Yahoo
  • Movicha (never heard of it before)

WTF

Dec 9, 2010, 2:41:06 PM via App

yes, thats the list ;-)

ireneL

Dec 9, 2010, 6:45:36 PM via Website

Most of the stuff im finding are free trial and im pretty certain theres a catch somewhere, but hey its worth a shot, just do the usual detective work before you commit. Ok...
http://www.oovoo.com/

http://www.oovoo.com/HowToooVooList.aspx

Jeremiah

Dec 10, 2010, 5:51:52 AM via Website

I have a friend who has an evo, and uses it for video chatting. I asked him about it and he said:

" Along with the yahoo messenger app itself, there's a video plugin that's a seperate download in the market that needs to be installed too (at least for the Evo there was).
If your friend had an older (original beta) version of the app, hell need to uninstall both the app and video plugin and redownload. The first video chat version was actually a beta, they then forced an update that killed it and about a week later released a stable version that brought all functionality back."

I've sent him another email, asking if he knows how to switch the camera with yahoo messenger.

— modified on Dec 10, 2010, 5:52:46 AM

Jeremiah

Dec 12, 2010, 4:57:06 AM via Website

Ok, I asked my friend who uses yahoo how to switch the camera, he said:

Oh, on my Evo, if I hit the menu button during a chat, it'll pop-up a box that allows me to select "flip" and that switches the cams back and forth.

Have you tried this?

WTF

Dec 13, 2010, 12:12:51 AM via App

thanx jerry,
for the hint.

yes, the button appears, but i can touch it the way i want, no reaction :)

i posted in for galaxy tab because i have the problem with the galaxy tab.

i've readen in other boards, that it should work that way, but all had the same experience on galaxy tab like me.

so, tab users, stand up, march forward to samsung (be carefull, don't cross the border) and ask them, "why tfh is video chatting not working on my flash new device??????"

guess we will mot get an answer.,,,,,,

mjoyagnas

Douglas Carter

Dec 13, 2010, 2:49:16 PM via Website

I would send their customer service an email and ask them if there is a fix for this, or if there is anything you can do about it. Maybe they can even tell you if there is an update coming out for it soon that will fix it. Another option is to post up at XDA developers and see if anyone has figured out how to fix it there...

WTF

Dec 13, 2010, 11:11:23 PM via App

yes, i will contact them when i have a bit more time.

just flashed another firmware (froyo.xxjm6) and its the same.

by the way, i do not recommend to flash firmwares which are not official, except you know what you are doing. just to say, i was pretty close to brick my galaxy tab...

WTF

Dec 17, 2010, 11:39:06 PM via App

ok, yahoo has released a new version, but same result. no changes at this matter.

still cryin'······

WTF

Dec 18, 2010, 6:41:29 PM via App

without any doubt it is also something on sams site.
the new version gingersomething will come native with that as i have readen in other boards.

but one thing tells me also that yahoo can do something more, as they say now "not for samsung galaxy". so the issue seems to be known.

will keep tryin

— modified on Sep 16, 2011, 2:39:32 PM by moderator

mc28
  • Forum posts: 1

Dec 28, 2010, 1:41:02 PM via Website

any updates on the video call / video chat with YM? I am having similar problems and i have raised this with samsung customer service .. still no reply from them.

WTF

Feb 23, 2011, 1:01:44 AM via Website

ok guys,

after some weeks i took the fight again and voila!!!!!!!:cold:

oovoo works! on windows pc and sgt! over wifi and 3g!!!!!!

sorry guys, i´m still crying, finally, who the f..k is skype :P

for you interest my system:
GT P1000 eur
kernel V15 OC richardtrip (look on xda for it) and a own modified modaco rom (modifications are not influencing the video chat function) plus conversion to ext4 filesystem.

edit: no other video chat software is really working actually, except one i will not mention the name which is just a 10 day trial and after very expensive....

— modified on Feb 23, 2011, 1:03:38 AM

Douglas Carter

Feb 23, 2011, 12:40:49 PM via Website

Glad to hear that you've finally found something that works. Was their an update for your ROM, or was it an update to the app which you think made the video chat work?

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 14

Mar 9, 2011, 8:46:45 AM via Website

yes, sometimes, the firmware version is too lower. so it can't do that. So you need to update the firmware.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 14

Mar 14, 2011, 4:25:23 AM via Website

Can you make video calls with this tablet? and which apps does it support for video chat?

WTF

Mar 14, 2011, 12:04:24 PM via App

yes you u can do video calls. oovoo works fine.
no idea if the firmware makes a difference, but i ca. recommend everybody to get away from stock and convert to ext4. performance is much better.

WTF

Mar 18, 2011, 7:47:51 PM via App

not in every case. but especially on read write procedures you feel strongly the performance boost.

ahmdibrahem
  • Forum posts: 2

May 11, 2011, 6:59:27 AM via Website

thank yooooooooooooooooooooooooou

ahmdibrahem
  • Forum posts: 2

May 11, 2011, 7:17:43 AM via Website

WTF

Jun 2, 2011, 11:36:37 PM via App

hi guys,

just an update.

as oovoo was giving also trouble (in newer versions problem with camera orientation and screen scaling), i will try now google talk.
since today overcome rom 2.0.0-gold is available (gingerbread tuned), alterbridge from xda is promissing ot should work with front facing camera.

i will try and give an update when i got success.

for every interested, the new overcome rom is the much way best i had on my tab. give it a try!

i have readen also, that gingerbread 2.3.4 supports skype. unfortunately not available for sgt, only version 2.3.3

— modified on Sep 16, 2011, 2:40:59 PM by moderator

iyangkero
  • Forum posts: 3

Dec 5, 2011, 1:03:06 AM via App

install in my devices