ambe

• Replies:8
Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 8

Dec 17, 2010, 3:34:21 AM via Website

Hello, I'm really new to this android phone of mine. Though I love it, I'm still getting use to it and
what it requires to keep it safe and running in good shape. Question, I was using just a "mini task manager"
then I switched to using a "battery saver" the "juice Defender" so now I was wondering do
I need a "task manager" also, or do the "juice defender" take care of closing open, not in
use apps?

please help

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Dec 17, 2010, 4:32:47 AM via App

Hello and welcome to AndroidPIT.. we have all asked ourselves the same questions about our Android Devices.. so welcome to the "how do I get the most out of my phone" club! I too tried all the apps you listed above.. with some success. I find it is half the fun testing different combos to see what happens. However after all the testing and reading forums I found that most things can be easily managed manually.

So here's a few tips and others will add to this post to increase your knowledge... :)

First off.. the darker your background picture.. the better battery life.. same goes for apps.. if you have the option to make it black or dark do so!

Second.. turn off things you don't need.. like Bluetooth or WiFi.. also GPS.. they all use power "searching" for signal.. so if you don't need them.. turn them off until you do.

Third.. lower you screen resolution.. your screen uses the most juice.. so lowering it will prolong battery life.

And as for task killers... you will hear that they help and hurt. If you have a 2.2 Android device.. you probably don't need one. iF you are like me and on 2.1 with 100 apps installed.. it might be helpful. I use "Advance Task Killer" personally.. and have found it invaluable on my little HTC Eris.

— modified on Dec 17, 2010, 4:35:05 AM

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Dec 17, 2010, 3:14:42 PM via Website

When you mean lower the display resolution, do you actually mean reducing display brightness? I didn't know users could lower their devices display resolution, if what you are saying is true. I would say an Android 2.1 powered Flipout would definitely benefit from a task killer. The question is, as Jay said, which one to choose. I use Advanced Task Killer Free and it works just fine for me.

Deactivated Account

Dec 17, 2010, 11:24:15 PM via Website

thank you for your advice. i'm going to try out the task manager. i want
something that agrees with my phone and me. the juice thing i had was
really making my phone run slow and a big pain in the a__. if it's alright
with you, i have a few more questions. i know what the adobe reader is
for on my computer but do i really need it on my phone? it's used for
personal use, no business or work, going to be used for texting
and music, browsing the web. will i need to have a media player plug in
when i start listening to my music, or will winamp work?

thank you so much for your time
amber

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Dec 19, 2010, 4:19:31 AM via App

As for Adobe Acrobat Reader.. if you never have a need for the reader, you can unstall it to free up some memory. As for a media player.. there's many to choose from to play music: I personally use "Mixzing" ! I like how it automatically downloads the songs album art and lyrics.

— modified on Dec 19, 2010, 4:19:53 AM

Deactivated Account

Dec 20, 2010, 5:50:39 AM via Website

thank you for your advice. it seems to be running much better now.

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Dec 20, 2010, 1:14:41 PM via Website

Yeah, I agree with Jay that the Adobe Reader is pretty much useless unless you find yourself reading .pdf files on a regular basis. Mixzing is pretty good. I think I've tried it before. I've also heard that Winamp is also good. I know I used to have winamp on my old PC, and I liked it then.

Deactivated Account

Dec 21, 2010, 11:51:01 PM via Website

yeah, I did way with the Adobe Reader. I've not tried "Mixing", but I have Winamp on
my laptop. Been using it for years. I really like it.