not really sure

• Replies:6
Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 8

Dec 23, 2010, 6:21:43 AM via Website

Hello, I have again a question. I do have an moto android. My question is i'm going to
upgrade to a fully supported browser, I'm going to use Mozilla Firefox, there was
something about Windows 7 with it and other listings. How do I know if I have
Windows to begin with? please help

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Dec 23, 2010, 10:22:20 AM via Website

Android and Windows are both an operating system (or OS for short). Your phone runs Android as the OS. Some phones run Windows Phone 7, which is the latest OS for Windows smartphones.

Mozilla Firefox is a nice browser on the PC, but it takes up a decent amount of resources. On Android, there is also a variant of Mozilla Firefox which you can download from this link: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/m/beta

Unfortunately, it is only in beta stage at this point. Beta means that the program/app (in this case) is not yet ready for a normal release. They are still testing things, tweaking things, and adding in new features. The Mozilla Firefox for Android app, as it is still in beta, has not yet been officially released onto the Android Market. You have to download it from somewhere else.

That wouldn't normally be a problem, but you are an AT&T subscriber, and AT&T disables users from installing third-party apps onto devices they sell. If you tried to install the Mozilla Firefox for Android, I'm almost positive that your phone would not let you, as AT&T won't allow their users to install it, as it qualifies as a third-party app.

If you really want the browser, you'll have to wait until they release it onto the market. There are some apps in the Market which try to pose as the real Firefox app, but they are not. Don't be fooled.

Steven Luttrell
  • Forum posts: 17

Dec 24, 2010, 3:45:54 AM via App

what is so great about Firefox? seriously? I've used quite a few browsers for both pc and my droid phone and I've found better ones than firefox. so, why is it so great and why do a lot of droid users swear by it? its a question that has been bugging me for quite a while now.

Douglas Carter

Dec 24, 2010, 5:18:27 PM via Website

Well, firefox is by no means the fastest (in fact, far from it), but it is fairly easy to use and has lots of add-ons available. I use Firefox, but I have been thinking for a long time about switching because of how much resources it takes up.

In addition, the Firefox for Android build available now is very unstable. It made my Nexus S crash the first time I tried to run it. I'll likely just stick with the default browser, but you never know...

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 8

Dec 27, 2010, 3:15:20 AM via Website

Thank you again for your advice about FoxFire app. For I am not a fan of Beta, I know
how it is "new and can be unstable" to use. So I will not be going with that.

amber

Dave Thornton
  • Forum posts: 3

Jan 1, 2011, 12:30:18 PM via Website

I like Douglas tried Firefox on my SGS but found it slow. I mostly use Infinity or Dolphin HD.
-_-

— modified on Jan 1, 2011, 12:30:33 PM

Douglas Carter

Jan 3, 2011, 12:01:53 PM via Website

Dave Thornton
I like Douglas tried Firefox on my SGS but found it slow. I mostly use Infinity or Dolphin HD.
-_-

Yes, Firefox is slow and unstable on Android at this point in time. Dolphin HD is pretty good. I haven't tried Infinity yet, so I don't know about it. I do like the default browser a lot as well.