I'm very new to this ... how do I download a free App to my Cell phone?

• Replies:16
  • Answered
zita ranics
  • Forum posts: 7

Feb 5, 2011, 12:36:00 AM via Website

I have an HTC Maple S520 ... would love to download some Apps into it but I can't figure out how.

Could someone walk me through the steps please?

Thank you!

Yan Matusevich
  • Forum posts: 305

Feb 5, 2011, 1:35:30 AM via Website

Normally, the Android Market should be pre-installed on your phone. If it's there then you just open it up and search for any app you'd like. If you'd like suggestions on what apps to get check out this thread: https://www.nextpit.com/en/android/forum/thread/394899/Your-Best-App#p430943

If you do not have the Android Market pre-installed, you must be using a device or be in a country where the Market isn't available.

In that case, you can download our own AndroidPIT App Center which has a fair selection of free and interesting apps.

zita ranics

Feb 5, 2011, 1:40:01 AM via Website

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm in Canada, and when I go to the andriodpit website on my computer I see the download option for the Android Market, but when I go to the same page on my phone it does not show up ... perhaps I'll email myself the link and see if that brings it up.

zita ranics

Feb 5, 2011, 3:26:53 PM via Website

OK, I downloaded an .apk file called androidpit_appcenter, but once it finished downloading a message on my phone said:

"There is no application associated with "de_androidpit_appcenter-v1514-SSFRQCB9". Run this application first and then open this file inside the application.

Problem is I can't find this application to run ... how can I find it?

(I'm very new to the smartphone world ... )

Thanks!

Yan Matusevich

Feb 5, 2011, 9:55:55 PM via Website

Let me just double-check one thing. Is this your phone http://www.htc.com/ca/products/maple-wind?

If so, this device runs Windows Mobile and is NOT an Android device. If that's the case, I can't really help you because here at AndroidPIT we deal with phones that run the Android operating system.

Hope we can figure this out.

Yan

zita ranics

Feb 5, 2011, 10:37:10 PM via Website

Told you I was new at this! ;) hehe ...

OK, well, that's the phone but I have a different carrier (Rogers-Chatr) ...

Someone told me that this was an android phone and I took that an ran with it ...

It DOES run Windows Mobile though, so I guess this site is not for me. :( Would you be able to direct me to a place where I can download apps for this phone, or am I better off asking my provider?

Either way, thank you so much for you help thus far.

Yan Matusevich

Feb 6, 2011, 1:32:18 AM via Website

Well, the confusion is understandable given the fact that most HTC phones run Android except for the Maple.

Phones running Windows Mobile need to download the Windows Marketplace. Here's a link: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/en-us/downloads/get-marketplace.mspx

Once you have the Marketplace, you'll be able to search and download apps.

Unfortunately, that's about as much help as I can give you because I am not an expert on Windows phones. We are all pretty avid Android fans around here.

Should you ever choose to get an Android phone, I would love to see you back here at AndroidPIT!

Hope this helped and best of luck!

— modified on Feb 6, 2011, 1:32:49 AM

zita ranics

Feb 6, 2011, 3:53:12 AM via Website

It did, thank you so much!

:)

I hope my next phone will be an Android.

zita ranics

Feb 9, 2011, 11:43:27 AM via Website

Beata Green
Hi, i recommend http://blog.mobosquare.com/
you can find not only the best apps but latest news about anfroid.

Um ... this is not at all helpful to me, Beata.

:wacko:

hehe

Mihai
  • Forum posts: 1

Feb 15, 2011, 8:57:14 AM via Website

I have a POV mobii GenII (http://www.pointofview-online.com/showroom.php?shop_mode=product_detail&product_id=210) tablet.
Trying to install some apps using the App Center, I cannot find the apps I want using the search function even that if I search them via browser I can find them. Using App Center version 1.5.6.
Is there any other way I can install apps? This tablet doesn't support droid market and the producer site states that they are having a partnership with AndroidPit (http://www.pointofview-online.com/club/FAQ.html)

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Feb 15, 2011, 2:36:36 PM via Website

Not every app that is on the official Android Market is available for download in the App Center. There are also some apps which are only designed to work on certain versions of Android and up.

Lorrie Meade
  • Forum posts: 3

Feb 18, 2011, 2:32:37 AM via Website

I have an android tablet and I need to download adobe flash player for android for my tablet. I looked in my app market and I did a search on no flash player......How do I do this?

Douglas Carter

Feb 18, 2011, 2:41:38 PM via Website

Does your android tablet run Android 2.2 and come with the official Android market? What is the name of your tablet and what is the name of the market you are using?

Last time I checked, Adobe Flash was only available for Android devices running Android 2.2 and up (besides a few exceptions).

— modified on Feb 18, 2011, 2:41:54 PM

Lorrie Meade

Feb 18, 2011, 3:43:31 PM via Website

my operating system is google android os and it is android 2.0 would an SD card help

Douglas Carter

Feb 18, 2011, 4:28:39 PM via Website

Kind of. If you want to keep your device, but still want to have Flash, you'll have to look into rooting your device and installing a custom Android 2.2 ROM with a working version of the Android Market (not 100% sure on the last part, but fairly).

Lorrie Meade

Feb 18, 2011, 4:50:43 PM via Website

How I install a custom android 2.2 rom and would getting a SD card help too