how can i upgrade my 1.6 to 2.1?

• Replies:11
adie
  • Forum posts: 3

Feb 15, 2011, 10:17:43 AM via Website

hi
im REALLY a noob in smartphones so i figured to ask you guys.
how can i upgrade my 1.6 to 2.1? step 1 till last pls.
and how to install an apps into my x10 using laptops? as paste into what folder?

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Feb 15, 2011, 2:42:27 PM via Website

What region/country do you live in?

Check out this link to see if your handset is supposed to have already been updated to Android 2.1. The X10 phones start further down. The numbers are "“SI-numbers” – that number can be found on the label of the back of your phone."

If your phone's SI number is not listed, then the update may still be coming for your phone.

If your phone's SI number is there, but you are still on Android 1.6, do a restart, have your phone check for updates, and if you still can't get it to update, then let me know.

You can install any free app onto your phone using a file transferred from you PC as long as you have the .apk file. Without an .apk file available, it is not possible.

adie

Feb 16, 2011, 6:26:01 AM via Website

hi.
im from malaysia by the way.
ive already chevked my SI-numbers at the back of my phone n both in the list - and its there..
so what i should do now is searching for updates right?
so thats mean do i have to connect my phone to wifi ? or use the mobile networks?

adie

Feb 16, 2011, 1:45:03 PM via Website

hi
i just finished updating my phone by using sony ericsson PC companion.
all are settled. thanx for everything.

Douglas Carter

Feb 16, 2011, 1:57:01 PM via Website

Ah, I was just about to reply to your thread. Glad to hear you figured it out on your own though. How are you liking Android 2.1? Notice any differences? If not, you can at least feel better knowing that you have access to more apps now.

Niels Christiansen
  • Forum posts: 47

Feb 19, 2011, 6:10:24 PM via App

Well, with the 2.1 update the Xperia series has got the performance you'd expect.
It might do some internal 'bookkeeping' of sorts for some time after the update.
It will lag and stutter quite, but leave it on and things will settle down.
For those without an update in sight, search the internet on how to make your Xperia a "Generic Nordic", to make Android 2.1 available.
Don't worry, you can still run any locale you like.

Kind regards, Niels C.

Douglas Carter

Feb 20, 2011, 10:12:02 PM via Website

There is a way to do that? That's great, as someone was in here a few days ago asking why their x10 mini or something wasn't updated to 2.1. At least, I think that was the story...

Niels Christiansen
  • Forum posts: 47

Feb 22, 2011, 11:30:22 AM via App

I'be never done it or needed to for "obvious" reasons. There are however webpages out there discussing how to. It necessitates that you root your X10, but it's fairly straightforward if you take it step by step.

Emiliano Bernardo
  • Forum posts: 1

Feb 24, 2011, 11:50:16 PM via Website

I'm having the same problem.

Is there a way to upgrade to 2.1 via my laptop connection?

I've downloaded an *.apk file which directory do i put it in?

It would be cheaper for me to download with my laptop then install into my phone.

Thank so much.

I'm based in the Philippines.

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Feb 25, 2011, 1:46:50 AM via App

Copy the .apk to your SD card in your phone, it doesn't matter which folder. You can use a file manager such as Astro to install it from your SD card. Only problem may be that your phone must allow installing from unknown sources. Go to settings, applications, and check allow unknown sources. Some carriers don't allow this though.

Jainab Mohsin
  • Forum posts: 1

Mar 13, 2012, 7:04:27 AM via Website

I'm having trouble upgrading my xpreria x10i from 1.6 to 2.1 and above as well, already upgrading using the pc companion but after getting into step 2 it went into error.

Please advice:-(

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

Mar 13, 2012, 5:25:51 PM via Website

Jainab Mohsin
I'm having trouble upgrading my xpreria x10i from 1.6 to 2.1 and above as well, already upgrading using the pc companion but after getting into step 2 it went into error.

Please advice:-(

Can you tell me exactly what the error said?