My First App - Power Scheduler

• Replies:6
Stephen McMeel
  • Forum posts: 2

Feb 27, 2011, 11:58:41 PM via Website

Hi,

My name is Stephen McMeel and I have developed the Power Scheduler app for my final year project (FYP) in University College Cork. This is my first app and I have put a lot of hard work into it. I released it on the Android Market on the 25th February. I would be really grateful if you could download it and try it out. If you like the app please rate it and leave a comment.

Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it!

Regards,

Stephen.

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Feb 28, 2011, 1:45:15 PM via Website

The scheduling seems to offer a lot of options, but the layout seems a tad confusing. I'm confused as to why you have two lists to specify when to turn the repeat on and when to turn it off. If you only used one list, the days that were checked would be the days that were on, and the days that weren't checked would be the days that were off. I see no need for a second list here.

Patrick Scott

Feb 28, 2011, 3:06:41 PM via Website

Douglas Carter
The scheduling seems to offer a lot of options, but the layout seems a tad confusing. I'm confused as to why you have two lists to specify when to turn the repeat on and when to turn it off. If you only used one list, the days that were checked would be the days that were on, and the days that weren't checked would be the days that were off. I see no need for a second list here.

Just downloaded now....

I like this a lot actually... I think the two repeat options is actually necessary to schedule what days the the selected feature (e.g wifi) turns on at the scheduled time and what days the selected feature turns off at the scheduled time.

For example:
Turn airplane mode on at 11.30pm (Repeat Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu)
Turn airplane mode off at 8:00am (Repeat Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri)

This would turn on airplane on school nights.

If you look at the Timeriffic scheduling app, it is also designed this way with Repeat on time days and repeat off time days.

Good Job OP.... I'll keep using this app i think!

— modified on Feb 28, 2011, 3:07:25 PM

Stephen McMeel

Feb 28, 2011, 4:13:48 PM via Website

Patrick Scott

Just downloaded now....

I like this a lot actually... I think the two repeat options is actually necessary to schedule what days the the selected feature (e.g wifi) turns on at the scheduled time and what days the selected feature turns off at the scheduled time.

For example:
Turn airplane mode on at 11.30pm (Repeat Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu)
Turn airplane mode off at 8:00am (Repeat Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri)

This would turn on airplane on school nights.

If you look at the Timeriffic scheduling app, it is also designed this way with Repeat on time days and repeat off time days.

Good Job OP.... I'll keep using this app i think!

Douglas,

Patrick has confirmed how the 'Repeat On' & 'Repeat OFF' lists should be used.

In the previous version of the app, I had just one Repeat list. This created issues when scheduling an 'On' time before midnight and an 'Off' time after midnight. If we take Patricks example, the old version with one 'Repeat' list would have caused confusion. If Patrick wanted to turn Airplane Mode 'On' at 11:30pm and 'Off' at 08:00am for a Monday night, he would have to 'Repeat' on Monday and Tuesday. This created further problems because this would make 4 changes in all:

• First, it would turn Airplane Mode 'Off' Monday morning at 08:00am
  • It would then turn Airplane Mode 'On' at 11:30pm Monday night.
  • Then, Turn Airplane Mode 'Off' again Tuesday morning at 08:00am
  • Finally, turn Airplane Mode 'On' again Tuesday night at 11:30pm.

This caused unnecessary changes because the only changes Patrick wanted here were 11:30pm Monday night & 08:00am Tuesday morning.

Does that clear it up for you Douglas? Can you suggest a way for me to make that clearer to users who might share your view?

Steve.

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Feb 28, 2011, 6:13:34 PM via Website

It's clear now, thanks. Maybe you should make a FAQ or "tutorial" inside the app to explain to users how to get the best out of the app.

Stephen McMeel

Patrick Scott

Feb 28, 2011, 7:00:33 PM via Website

Douglas Carter
It's clear now, thanks. Maybe you should make a FAQ or "tutorial" inside the app to explain to users how to get the best out of the app.

Good point, you shoul enhance the "tips" section