Multiple Contacts

• Replies:8
Gary Garland
  • Forum posts: 22

Mar 2, 2011, 2:06:32 PM via Website

I have a Samsung Captivate (finally on 2.2). I have at least two and sometimes four or more listings of the same contacts in my contacts list. I am not exactly sure how I wound up with so many, I certainly didn't enter them. I have tried everything I can think of to get rid of them, short of going in and manually deleting all of the extras (I have actually done that for a few). Does anyone know of an app that can be used to consolidate duplicate contacts into one? Or maybe one that will look down the list and delete any duplicates. At this point I am willing to take a chance of loosing some information rather than have four contacts for every person in my phone.
Actually someone may know why the contacts are duplicating and tell me what to do to "turn off" some of them.

Thanks in advance.

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Mar 2, 2011, 2:53:26 PM via Website

What is likely happening here is that the contact from your phone's internal memory, the SIM card, Facebook (if installed), and email contacts are all being displayed at once. There are several ways to go about fixing this.

Do you have Facebook installed on your phone? What about some form of Outlook?

One way to clear things up is to only show contacts with phone numbers, but that may not be what you want. This thread has some good tips on how to fix things. Also, you can connect the phone to Kies and remove the duplicate contacts from there.

Gary Garland

Mar 2, 2011, 3:59:23 PM via Website

Douglas,

Thanks for your reply.

I do have Facebook, I don't have any form of Outlook. I just got 2.2 Monday and haven't had a chance to really do a lot with it yet.

I will look at the link you sent and see if it helps. I have everything turned off as far as I can tell but it still seems to be putting contacts from all of those places in the contacts list.

With 2.2, is it still necessary to keep a G-mail account? Can I now connect straight to a corporate calender/e-mail without having to go through G-mail? It seems that having the extra account that everything has to go through is causing part of the problem.

Douglas Carter

Mar 2, 2011, 11:20:18 PM via Website

I'm fairly positive that a gmail account is still recorded. I believe that makes it easier for Google to integrate their services onto your phone if there is a gmail account connected to it.

Gary Garland

Mar 3, 2011, 2:38:45 PM via Website

Douglas,
I looked at the link you sent. Apparently my Facebook app isn't like the one they were talking about. I couldn't find any place within the app to turn off sync for contacts. Also, I got to thinking, I do have Outlook on my corporate account. I would like to link to it for my calender and e-mail then use only my phone for contacts. I have gone in to Contacts>Menu>Display options and turned off every thing except Phone. But I still have as many as 4 or 5 different listings for many and at least two for most of the people showing in my contacts list and almost all of them look as if they are now on my phone.
Is there not an app that will delete duplicates?

Douglas Carter

Mar 3, 2011, 3:15:51 PM via Website

Have you checked the "only contacts with phone numbers"?
When in the contacts display options, did you into the email accounts and choose what contacts you wanted to be displayed?

To turn off Facebook contact sync, go into settings / accounts & sync settings / and under manage accounts, choose whether or not to sync Facebook contacts.

Maybe this app might help?

Gary Garland

Mar 3, 2011, 3:30:04 PM via Website

Ok, I did already have Facebook sync turned off. Everything except Phone was turned off. I have now checked Only contacts with phone numbers, but I still have multiples.

I am now going to look at the new link you sent.

Thanks for your help.