Security Warnings downloading to HTC from this site

• Replies:4
  • Answered
Mark Purves
  • Forum posts: 2

Mar 5, 2011, 7:56:28 PM via Website

Hi

I'm completely new to all of this. I have purchsed an app from this site and downloaded it but had to overide the security settings to download, which I was warned not to do. Having downloaded to install I get warning messages about the software being allowed internet access, to overwrite system data etc. so I chickened out as I don't know what to do. Feel as if I have been a bit cheated by this site to be honest as there is no indication that this is going to be a problem. Anyone help?

Yan Matusevich
  • Forum posts: 305

Mar 5, 2011, 8:10:56 PM via Website

So here's the deal:

Basically, the default setting on your phone is not to allow downloads from "Unknown Sources", which basically means any sources that aren't the Google Market.

For people wishing to download apps through other sources such as AndroidPIT, you have to switch off the setting to be able to download apps. This does not compromise your security in any way.

Every time you download an app - whether from the Google Market or AndroidPIT - prior to installation you can see which authorizations are required for the app to run. Internet access and overwrite system data - may sound scary, but in actuality it means that the app may need internet access to run and can change some of your phones settings with your approval.

What specific app were you downloading? All the apps in the AndroidPIT Market are legitimate.

Mark Purves
  • Forum posts: 2

Mar 5, 2011, 8:51:08 PM via Website

Thanks for the reassurance! I have managed to download and install everything now - thanks!

Yan Matusevich
  • Forum posts: 305

Mar 5, 2011, 10:42:49 PM via Website

Glad I could help!

Tonny Bredsgaard
  • Forum posts: 1

Mar 6, 2011, 12:53:04 AM via Website

allready answered :)

— modified on Mar 6, 2011, 12:54:21 AM