Looking for some feedback on my (free) game

• Replies:21
Nikos Konstas
  • Forum posts: 12

Mar 29, 2011, 10:23:20 AM via Website

Hello,

Pool Rebel is billiards simulation game. The Android version offers the following features:

- One Pocket and 14.1 Continuous pool games.
- OpenFeint Enabled
- Intuitive interface that allows control of every aspect of a shot
- Dynamic player hints help you avoid common mistakes during gameplay
- Save & Load a game at any stage. Automatically resume interrupted games
- Full game history with unlimited undo/redo functionality
- Adjustable difficulty levels (Full version offers fully customizable difficulty leves)

Market link is market://details?id=com.compumasterltd.poolrebellite

I'm a bit puzzled by some reviews where people claim that they cannot aim at all.
I would be grateful if you can download and try the game.
If it doesn't work for you please do let me know so I can find and fix the problem.

Thank you in advance,
Nikos.

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Mar 29, 2011, 11:24:45 AM via Website

It looks very well designed. I have touch pool 2d lite, and yours looks much more attractive than it, and seems to have a better layout. I'll give it a try sometime in the few days and let you know what i think of it.

Yasha Pak
  • Forum posts: 6

Mar 30, 2011, 10:31:42 AM via Website

Looks cool and well designed, I am downloading it now...
Will try it out and post my feedback..

Good luck.

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Mar 31, 2011, 1:27:38 AM via Website

I really like this game! Very good graphics. I was having some of the aiming issue though. I think it's because of my phone is a low end (old) model. When rotating the pool stick, it seemed to pause as your trajectory intersected a group of balls, then by the time the game caught up, you were way past where you were trying to aim. I'll try to record a video of playing it on my phone so you can see what I mean.

— modified on Mar 31, 2011, 1:29:43 AM

Jeremiah

Mar 31, 2011, 3:03:26 AM via Website

I made a short video of the aiming problems I was having. Sorry for the shakiness of the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xktZeOlkOpU My phone is the htc hero.

Steven Luttrell
  • Forum posts: 17

Apr 2, 2011, 5:43:23 AM via App

I think your game is very well done and well thought out. I am running it on a Backflip and it runs very smoothly. I do a couple minor critiques, though. and the first is about, you guessed it, the aiming. To me, I think you have it backwards. that's not to say that its wrong, but when most people play virtual pool/billiards, they tend to want to "grab" the back end of the cue and aim that way. You've got it set the complete opposite, meaning if the player wants to aim towards the left side of the table you have to touch the left side of the screen and drag to the right. you explain it very thoroughly in the tutorial, but most people do not bother with them. I myself had to go back from a fresh game and go through the tutorial just to figure out and learn how to aim. Maybe you could either switch to what I call "traditional" aiming, or make an option to pick between the two?

the second is the mandatory nominating. that's fine for tournament play (career in the virtual world), but not for casual play. think about it, the last time you went to a bar or pool hall with a group of buddies, was anyone that serious about calling each and every single pocket, aside from the eight ball? I think it would be just super if you either got rid of that, or make a career mode that does require it and a casual mode that does not.

aside from those two things, though, I think you have done a spectacular job on this game. it is by far, flaws or not, the BEST pool game on the market. its so good that after a tweek or two you could charge people for it. (I prefer it be free, because I can't afford to buy anything, but you could totally make some extra spending money with this)

Nikos Konstas

Apr 8, 2011, 10:51:53 AM via Website

All, apologies for the delayed response.
I was under the impression that I would receive an email for each reply (i.e. subscribed to thread) and I wasn't aware of your message.

@Jeremiah:

I have updated the rendering loop since then. Version 4.4 (the one I uploaded on AndroidPit) may resolve the problem you see on your device.

However after looking at your video clip I think I know what the problem is.
The aiming system in Pool Rebel is a bit different.I included an image to help me explain it:

To aim you have to click somewhere near the target ball (i.e. the ball you want to pot) and drag your finger towards the cueball.
The further away you drag your finger the more accurate you can be.

Thank you very much for the feedback.

— modified on Apr 8, 2011, 11:05:39 AM

Nikos Konstas

Apr 8, 2011, 11:18:07 AM via Website

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your feedback.

- Aiming:
Yes I may have to add it as an option. The reason for making it backward is that you don't have to worry about your finger obstructing your view while you aim. The way it's done is so that you move away from the target ball as you aim - otherwise you end up hovering over/near the target ball. But if people expect that then I'll change it.

- Nominating:
It is not mandatory. To be more precise, the game auto-nominates for you in almost all cases with a couple of exceptions:
- 'trick shots' e.g. of the cushion and,
- the back ball in the 8-ball game (although there is the reminder displayed for that to the user).

Thank you very much again and sorry for the delayed response,
Nikos.

Nikos Konstas

Apr 8, 2011, 3:25:00 PM via Website

Based on your feedback I released a new version of Pool Rebel Lite:

NEW: Cue Control option

Cue control allows you to select how to aim. You can choose between Point, Line and Reverse Line. Point is the simplest but least flexible and accurate method of aiming. Reverse Line is the most precise but takes time to get used to.

New installs default to 'Point' while upgrades maintain the 'Reverse Line' approach used in the previous version.

Below are some schreenshots from the tutorial illustrating the Point, Line and Reverse Line cue control:

Point:

Line:

Reverse Line:

chinmay
  • Forum posts: 20

Apr 8, 2011, 4:03:24 PM via App

this is the best pool game i ever plaued on any of the mobile os. awesome work bro.....

Nikos Konstas

Apr 8, 2011, 7:09:06 PM via Website

Thank you chinmay.

Steven Luttrell

Apr 9, 2011, 2:39:49 AM via App

hey Nikos...

first, thanks for taking my, and everybody else's feedback so graciously. there are so many people who just can't take feedback very well. and because you do, I am thankful.

after I posted my original post and went back to play a bit more and finally figured out how to really aim. to be honest, although it does take getting used to, I am starting to favor you way, or as we are now calling it, the" backwards" way. :-) I do like being able to see exactly where I am trying to aim. by no means perfect, because even in doing it that way you cant *always* see where you're aiming.

and I still don't see the point of nominating, although I did notice that its not actually "mandatory" as I originally thought, just as you pointed out. and I've only got the lite version, so im not sure of all your options and gameplay, but it would be cool to see a career mode, if you haven't already implemented something to the effect.

what else would be neat-o, would be to get "upgrades" for completing certain criteria, much like achievements on an x-box, like different colored balls and pool fabric, lighter/heavier sticks, etc. plus different games altogether, such as frustration, and maybe some regional versions of 8/9-ball, that sort of thing. I don't know, just tossing ideas out there for you.

all-in-all, it is still by far the best pool game out on the market now. only thing better is the real thing.

Nikos Konstas

Apr 9, 2011, 1:06:15 PM via Website

Hi Steven,

I'm always glad to receive some sensible feedback.

I'm glad you started to like the 'backwards' way :) If you download the latest version (4.5) you can try the different ways of aiming and decide which one you prefer the most. (You can switch from the game menu -> Cue Control)

My aim was to implement the official rules for the games. But I take your point - Adding variations and more games is something I will do soon. If you have any favorite games let me know (you referred to 'frustration' - I never heard of it..?)

Recently I've added OpenFeint leaderboards and achievements - I do like your idea of having 'locked' items that you can unlock so I guess I could integrate the two... I'll need to think about it a bit more.

Thank you very much again,
Nikos.

Steven Luttrell

Apr 9, 2011, 10:52:58 PM via App

frustration can be very difficult, but it is fun as hell! you set the table up by placing one ball on the edge of each pocket, and three balls where you would normally set up the balls in just about any other billiards game. the object is to hit all the balls next to the pockets in BEFORE and WITHOUT so much as touching the three in the middle. once that is accomplished, then you have three, and only three shots to get the three remaining balls in. point is, you only have as many shots as there are balls, so 9 in all. you can place the cue anywhere on the table to start, but once you've taken your first shot you play where it stops. sound easy? think again. again, it is a very fun gane, especially with a bunch of driends and a bunch of drinks, but that's a whole othere story :-) so, what do you think?

Steven Luttrell

Apr 9, 2011, 11:30:39 PM via App

also, you really should unlock regular 8-ball for the lite version. i'd love to buy the full version myself, but I just can't afford to. and I know that's another thing that puts a lot of people off too. that's the one "version" everyone wants to, and should be able to play- free or otherwise. the 14.1 conituous thing you've got is great for practise, but most people want a clear-cut end to the game.

just a suggestion ;-)

Nikos Konstas

Apr 10, 2011, 9:09:44 PM via Website

Hi Steven,

it sounds interesting. I'm compiling a list of games that I will implement in the future and I will add it to it.

Do you know if the game is known by another name or if there are some sort of 'semi-official' rules for it?

Thanks,
Nikos.

Nikos Konstas

Apr 10, 2011, 9:18:39 PM via Website

Steven,

Not the same, but if you visit www.poolrebel.com you can download the free Windows version. It has all the features of the mobile version.

I know people want apps for free but if I do that then I'll have to give up writing apps and find another job - Unfortunately it's that simple.

But if I win the lottery I promise I'll make all my apps free! :)

Steven Luttrell

Apr 11, 2011, 3:30:45 AM via App

don't know if there are any "official" rules. its just one of those things that just gets handed down through the generations, so to speak. and there may very well be different names for it, but "frustration" is simply what I have always called it.

and as far as the windows version, id love to download it, but I don't own my own computer. :-/ but, you can't blame me for asking, right? lol

Nikos Konstas

Apr 11, 2011, 9:18:18 AM via Website

That's fine - sounds like a fun game. I will add it to my list, thanks.

I wish there was a way to offer free copies to people that provide feedback but I'm not aware of any way to do that on Android Market :/

Cheers,
Nikos.

Jeremiah

Apr 13, 2011, 6:04:32 AM via Website

I've downloaded the new version. Works great. I should have read the tutorial the first time I played it. Most pool games I've played you swing the pool stick around to aim, but I see now. I like the line aiming too.

Nikos Konstas

Apr 13, 2011, 12:18:27 PM via Website

Thanks Jeremiah - I guess it was a bit too confusing for people before.

Nikos Konstas

Apr 13, 2011, 12:20:30 PM via Website

Thanks Jeremiah - I guess it was a bit too confusing for people before.